so - I don't understand pictures of people parachuting . . .
« on: November 10, 2017, 02:20:39 AM »
Hi all - I am new.  Just wondering about pictures of people parachuting - where you see the earth's curvature behind them.  (I hope I did the attachment right.) These people are 12-13k feet above the earth.  They are obviously not in a plane, so there is no curvature caused by airplane windows.  On the internet, there are a lot of pictures of other people parachuting (which I unfortunately can't afford to do), so they all can't be using the same camera with the same distortions.  And most of these people are not astronauts or work for NASA, etc. - they are unrelated people without an agenda other than having fun.  FE advocates accept some empirical data as proof - but they don't like photos, though they accept Lady Blount's sheet photo(s).  So what is the cause of this seemingly optical illusion of an earth curvature in many parachuting pictures?

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: so - I don't understand pictures of people parachuting . . .
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 02:25:25 AM »
Barrel distortion and/or fisheye lenses. Even round earth proponents will tell you that.

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 02:41:18 AM »
If the horizon is below the center of the image it will curve the other way. This is the optics of a wide angle lens.

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 02:41:33 AM »
Sorry, meant to link to this page that has such pictures: http://www.skydivenewengland.com/first-time-skydiving/

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 02:54:46 AM »
it's interesting my original answer was deleted by telling me I had to sign in again

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 02:58:09 AM »
it's interesting my original answer was deleted by telling me I had to sign in again

If you hit the timeout period while posting, then your browser may come up blank. You can always hit the back button to copy the text and post again after you are logged in. Just tick to the button to stay logged in to avoid this.

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 08:00:46 PM »
Barrel distortion and/or fisheye lenses. Even round earth proponents will tell you that.

As a reformed skydiver who did many video jumps yes, a wide angle lens is quite common.
Do you have a citation for this sweeping generalisation?

Offline 3DGeek

• Path of photon from sun location to eye at sunset?
    • View Profile
    • What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 09:47:54 PM »
Hi all - I am new.  Just wondering about pictures of people parachuting - where you see the earth's curvature behind them.  (I hope I did the attachment right.) These people are 12-13k feet above the earth.  They are obviously not in a plane, so there is no curvature caused by airplane windows.

The curvature of the horizon in the Round Earth is not easily measurable until altitudes far above most airplanes.   You can only see it clearly in photographs up at around 100,000 feet.

Hence, the photos you are seeing must have been taken through a lens with some "fish-eye" or "barrel" distortion...which makes them useless for discussions about the shape of the earth.

In the examples I've found - taken from amateur "weather balloon" flights - you need to find a video that starts when the balloon is launched and has no editing breaks up to 100,000 feet or more.   Then you can usually find things like buildings that you know to be straight in the real world - and demonstrate that they are (or are not) straight in the photograph.  If they are - then the lens isn't distorting the shape of things it photographs - so the high altitude horizon photos are a reliable source.

Check out my post here, for example:

https://forum.tfes.org/index.php?topic=6926.msg126381#msg126381

Hey Tom:  What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset?

Offline Dither

• The night above the dingle starry,
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 09:50:35 PM »
As a reformed skydiver

Was skydiving affecting your ability to function in society?

But seriously, skydiving looks awesome, I once saw an old clip where an army skydiver cut another mans legs off with his arm when they hit during free fall, the legless man survived and the armless man died. I've always wanted to do a tandem jump but yeah, people die occasionally, in fact, three skydivers died here last month.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-13/mission-beach-sky-diving-deaths-three-people/9048480

Sorry for being a tad off topic, I think the lens thing is answered quite well.

A lie will make it around the world before the truth has time to put on its shoes.

Offline Roger G

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 12:37:06 AM »
I've worn parachutes many times when competition gliding or doing aerobatics, but thankfully never had to use one. I see skydiving as committing suicide, then waiting for something mechanical to happen to save you :o

Roger

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 04:12:06 PM »
As a reformed skydiver

Was skydiving affecting your ability to function in society?

But seriously, skydiving looks awesome, I once saw an old clip where an army skydiver cut another mans legs off with his arm when they hit during free fall, the legless man survived and the armless man died. I've always wanted to do a tandem jump but yeah, people die occasionally, in fact, three skydivers died here last month.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-13/mission-beach-sky-diving-deaths-three-people/9048480

Sorry for being a tad off topic, I think the lens thing is answered quite well.

It is awesome and yes it affects your ability to function in society.   I was in the sport for 7 years and basically checked out of life.  But as more and more friends died it seemed like a good idea to hang it up.
Do you have a citation for this sweeping generalisation?

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 04:27:10 PM »
Hello friend. Remember That the earth is not completely flat like this ______ but rather is curved up a little bit and so you can this small discrepancy from these heights.

Offline gizmo910

• Si vis pacem, para bellum
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2017, 09:05:23 PM »
Hello friend. Remember That the earth is not completely flat like this ______ but rather is curved up a little bit and so you can this small discrepancy from these heights.
Um... what? :o Where is the info on this "flat but convex" theory?
Flat Earth Society has members all around the globe.

“When you surround an army, leave an outlet free. Do not press a desperate foe too hard.”
― Sun Tzu, The Art of War

;)

Offline 3DGeek

• Path of photon from sun location to eye at sunset?
    • View Profile
    • What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2017, 09:57:40 PM »
Um... what? :o Where is the info on this "flat but convex" theory?
Well, I suppose it's an interesting effort to piss off both sides of the debate!

Any curvature less than a full sphere isn't going to reproduce the effects we see at 100,000 feet - you'd have to be a LOT higher than that with a more subtle curve...yet on the other hand, you still wouldn't get sunsets or anything like that without all of the usual FET stuff.

The big problem with a subtly curved Flattish-Earth is gravity.

Real gravity doesn't work on a finite flattish-Earth because there would still be a net force towards the center.

Real gravity doesn't work on an infinite flattish-Earth because it would be like living on a hillside.

Universal Acceleration doesn't work because on the outer edges of the world, you'd keep falling over.

All of the water would run off the top of the world and end up in a large puddle around the perimeter.

Hey Tom:  What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset?

Treep Ravisarras

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2018, 08:25:43 AM »
I thought so too. I did watch this high altitude footage to spot fakes and the use of "fisheye" lens, but then they showed this:

How can this be fisheye lens causing round earth? Opposite circles in view?

https://youtu.be/BPQHG-LevZM?t=30m11s

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2018, 10:32:44 AM »
Barrel distortion and/or fisheye lenses.

Yet there's no apparent distortion of the webbing and parachute lines in the same area of the image.

And there's a (presumably) straight runway at bottom left with a slight distortion, but the curve of the Earth 'distorts' more than the runway, despite occupying a similar area of the frame.....
=============================
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2018, 11:19:11 AM »
Yet there's no apparent distortion of the webbing and parachute lines in the same area of the image.
Of course there is. Even the guy's face is warped. I appreciate this may not be immediately obvious to someone without photo editing experience, so my best advice would be for you to process the photo with Lightroom and observe the differences yourself.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2018, 11:34:26 AM »
If you can't see the earth's curve from a commercial plane you're unlikely to be able to do so while parachuting which, unless you're Felix Baumgartner, is from a significantly lower altitude.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2018, 12:19:36 PM »
Of course there is. Even the guy's face is warped.

Yet there's no warping in the line of stitching on the yellow webbing, which runs broadly parallel to the line of the horizon .... if the horizon has been warped by barrel distortion, that line is prime candidate to be warped too.

Nearly?

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2018, 12:51:16 PM »
Check out the top right panel herein; no barrel distortion on the perfectly straight arm ...

Nearly?