Every flat earth theory map I have seen put the north pole in the centre of the map.

How do you know that the ice wall isn't in the North? Is there any evidence to support this?
We generally accept evidence from all  sources.

The only evidence for Round Earth celestial accuracy (assuming that timeanddate is even based on RET) is the evidence you collected with your friends last month?

Every flat earth theory map I have seen put the north pole in the centre of the map.

How do you know that the ice wall isn't in the North? Is there any evidence to support this?
There IS a second FE model: https://wiki.tfes.org/File:Altmap.png

This one was apparently constructed after the circumnavigation of Antarctica, and Tom at least says this is the official 'placeholder' of the FES at this point in time, and has been for about 100 years iirc.

True, I had ignored that as I have read it wasn't taken seriously.

For the ice wall theory though, everyone draws the northern hemisphere as the centre.
We generally accept evidence from all  sources.

The only evidence for Round Earth celestial accuracy (assuming that timeanddate is even based on RET) is the evidence you collected with your friends last month?

For the ice wall theory though, everyone draws the northern hemisphere as the centre.
As far as that's concerned, it's likely because of the slight Norther Hemisphere bias of FE. The Norther Hemisphere was explored and colonized, and filled with 'advanced' culture far before the Southern was. This makes the South much less 'civilized' and that sort of mindset could have permeated such an idea, knowingly or not.

Alternatively, there's not much of an option for an ice wall around the North pole. I don't know how accurate that statement is, but it seems potentially plausible.

Offline 3DGeek

• Path of photon from sun location to eye at sunset?
    • View Profile
    • What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset

As far as that's concerned, it's likely because of the slight Norther Hemisphere bias of FE. The Norther Hemisphere was explored and colonized, and filled with 'advanced' culture far before the Southern was. This makes the South much less 'civilized' and that sort of mindset could have permeated such an idea, knowingly or not.

Alternatively, there's not much of an option for an ice wall around the North pole. I don't know how accurate that statement is, but it seems potentially plausible.

As far as I can tell, the majority of FE'ers (not just the ones here at tfes.org) believe in the unipolar map with the north pole in the center.   Here at tfes.org - "We don't actually know what the map is like" seems to be the most common answer...but that's only out of the tiny handful of people who actually debate anything (rather than sitting around on the "social" channels talking about Donald Trump and what's new on TV).

The reason for this is rather clear to me.  Almost 100% of FE'ers live in North America or the UK.  The north-centered map produces minimal distance distortion for those people - so they like it.   Most of the complaints that RE'ers have about FET don't have massively upsetting consequences for those who don't travel the world or live in the Southern Hemisphere - so the North-centered map makes the best sense to those people.

Sadly, for those in the southern hemisphere, this approach pushes ALL of the problems into their half of the planet - distorting distances and directions, screwing up how compasses work, how the stars and moon would appear and so forth.

So if there has to be a reason why the north pole is in the middle - that's it.
Hey Tom:  What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Almost 100% of FE'ers live in North America or the UK. 
Perhaps unsurprisingly by now, you have lied once again. Angloplane residents make up a relatively small minority of Flat Earthers, very far from your alleged "almost 100%"

I wonder whether your constant and deliberate spreading of misinformation constitutes a breach of the rules, given just how frequent it is. I might have to enquire about that, since polite requests don't seem to work on you. It's one thing for you to try and "debunk" us by claiming that Dallas is in Japan, and another thing entirely to continuously and deliberately misrepresent your opponents in a debate, especially when introducing the subject to newcomers.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Almost 100% of FE'ers live in North America or the UK. 
Perhaps unsurprisingly by now, you have lied once again. Angloplane residents make up a relatively small minority of Flat Earthers, very far from your alleged "almost 100%"
First. Angloplane? Never heard that word before and a google search turns up nothing. Second, and I'm not saying he isn't exaggerating some, but do you by any chance have any sort of source for this? I've never seen any kind of poll of FE'ers, although I personally feel the statement is likely a bit closer if substituting 'Northern Hemisphere' for 'NA or the UK' but that's me. But if you could explain 'Angloplane' and cite a source for your 'small minority' statement that would be great. I'll admit I should perhaps have been on 3D, but viewed it as hyperbole and not worth making a fuss over.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
First. Angloplane? Never heard that word before and a google search turns up nothing.
The word "Anglosphere" is likely to be more common, although it obviously isn't a sphere.

Second, and I'm not saying he isn't exaggerating some, but do you by any chance have any sort of source for this? I've never seen any kind of poll of FE'ers, although I personally feel the statement is likely a bit closer if substituting 'Northern Hemisphere' for 'NA or the UK' but that's me.
Nope, nothing that could be easily verified by an outsider. Not that 3D presented anything himself. However, as I am currently managing this site's social media stuff, I have a good gauge of the people who engage with our content (both believers and dissenters in their respective categories).
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

devils advocate

Nope, nothing that could be easily verified by an outsider. Not that 3D presented anything himself. However, as I am currently managing this site's social media stuff, I have a good gauge of the people who engage with our content (both believers and dissenters in their respective categories).

So Pete could you give us a breakdown of who is on this site, believing in FE from the various continents?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 07:45:44 AM by devils advocate »

Flights over the north pole line up nicely with both the round earth and the flat earth with north as the hub models.

Flights in the southern hemisphere are much more rare just due to population dynamics, but enough of them exist to cause problems for the flat earth model, for example flights from Johannesburg to Perth, from Sydney to Santiago, etc.

If you ignore the existance of South African Airways and Qantas, then there is a mysterious lack of flights between southern hemisphere cities that might lead you to want north as the hub.