Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Star Wars Episode VIII Thread
« on: January 23, 2017, 05:51:17 PM »
It officially has a name: The Last Jedi

http://www.starwars.com/news/the-official-title-for-star-wars-episode-viii-revealed

Also, inb4 Saddam.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars Episode VIII Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 07:07:07 PM »
Ssssoooo... it's Return of the Jedi all over again?
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 12:01:19 AM »
Ssssoooo... it's Return of the Jedi all over again?

More like The Empire Strikes Back. Young, up and coming force sensitive padawan learns to control her powers. The resistance gets ripped a new one while she's training with Luke. Then Luke dies at the end, or the beginning of Episode 9 leaving Rey alone to contend with emo, wannabe Darth Vader and big hologram guy. They have to show the resistance recovering slightly at the end for the final against all odds fight against the First Order in Episode 9. I miss George Lucas.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 12:05:59 AM by Hollocron »

Elusive Rabbit

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 12:28:24 AM »
I can't imagine Luke is really the last Jedi.

Maybe it is the disgruntled Expanded Universe fan within me saying that, though.

Rama Set

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 04:10:16 AM »

Maybe it is the disgruntled Expanded Universe fan within me saying that, though.

I think Rey is the last Jedi.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 04:42:02 AM »
Also, inb4 Saddam.

Just for that, I made you wait. :P

Anyway, I'm guessing that it's deliberately ambiguous - we're meant to wonder if it's referring to Rey, Luke, both of them, or maybe even someone else. The effect would be ruined if we hear a cringey title drop at some point, but I don't think Rian Johnson would do that.
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 10:32:10 AM »
Jedi is a plural noun, so it could be more than one last Jedi. I'm guessing they'll riff on the "No, there is another" line from Empire and reveal someone else to be a Jedi.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 12:21:58 PM »

Yoda: Last of the Jedi will you be.

Even if you make the claim that he's wrong and that other Jedi survived, it's possible they just aren't doing Jedi things anymore.  A retired Jedi is no longer a Jedi.
Luke tried training more Jedi but they all got killed by Ben.  So right this moment, Luke IS the last Jedi.  He'll probably pull a Obi Wan and die to Rey will become the last Jedi.
Which kinda mirrors the Sith just sacrificed instead of usurped.

If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.