Re: Are other objects in the Solar System Flat as well?
« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2018, 02:26:02 PM »
No.
If there the rest of the objects in the observable universe are spherical. How come earth is flat

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2018, 07:54:35 AM »
If there the rest of the objects in the observable universe are spherical. How come earth is flat
If there the rest of the objects in the observable universe are devoid of life. How come earth has humans on it

Your question is a silly one for many reasons, but let's start with the most obvious one. You don't know that all other bodies are round. Indeed, you know for a fact that not all are.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Online AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2018, 08:25:43 AM »
The rest of the objects of a certain size will be spherical, or roughly so, because gravity will pull them into that shape.
That is why the comparison with earth and other planets makes sense in terms of their shape.
The rest of the objects won't necessarily have life on them because certain additional criteria have to be met for that to be so - a planet being in the "goldilocks zone" where liquid water can be present is thought to be one.

Gravity is universal so that comparison is valid, conditions for life is not so it doesn't.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2018, 10:12:50 AM »
conditions for life is not [universal]
Please provide a verifiable alternative set of conditions for life, one substantially different from that present on Earth.

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2018, 10:44:25 AM »
Please provide a verifiable alternative set of conditions for life, one substantially different from that present on Earth.

They will depend on the life form, surely?
=============================
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2018, 11:10:08 AM »
That's okay - pick your favourite extraterrestrials. I'm just looking for an example to substantiate his point.

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2018, 04:11:52 PM »
That's okay - pick your favourite extraterrestrials. I'm just looking for an example to substantiate his point.

I have no favourites, and no way of determining whether or not there are life-supporting conditions for them until humankind encounters them.

Look at, for instance;

Fish
Plankton

Life forms which exist in environments that we humans would find alien.

Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2018, 07:01:45 PM »
I have no favourites, and no way of determining whether or not there are life-supporting conditions for them until humankind encounters them.
You also have no way of determining whether or not other flat planes exist out there.

Look at, for instance;

Fish
Plankton

I don't think any reasonable person would consider fish or plankton to be extraterrestrial beings. As such, your argument does not address AATW's assertion in any meaningful way.

« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2018, 07:11:15 PM »
You also have no way of determining whether or not other flat planes exist out there.

Look at, for instance;

Fish
Plankton

I don't think any reasonable person would consider fish or plankton to be extraterrestrial beings. As such, your argument does not address AATW's assertion in any meaningful way.
With no prior knowledge, how would you determine the shape of the earth?

Online AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 20, 2018, 08:52:14 PM »
It is not possible to answer that question. We have very little data about the conditions on a planet or moon which mean it can support life. We only know of one object which has intelligent (and even that is debatable!) life on it. From that we can can conclude that planets with earth's properties - with an atmosphere, at the right distance from its sun so it is in the temperature range that liquid water can exist, with a certain mix of elements, are capable of sustaining life. We don't know how likely life is to arise on such planets though. Is it pretty much inevitable given enough time? Did we win the cosmological lottery and we're the only planet with life on? Is it somewhere in between? Right now we just don't know. We're only just starting to be able to detect exoplanets.
Is it possible that planets or moons which don't share earth's properties could harbour life? Some kind of life which is alien to us in every sense of the word? We don't know of any which do but, again, data is limited, we have studied our own solar system and not found any signs of life there but we've really only scratched the service - sent a few probes to do fly-bys, landed a few on Mars and Venus but that's about it.

TL;DR, we don't really have enough data to know what conditions on a planet or moon are able to support life as we only know of one which does. So the answer to:

If there the rest of the objects in the observable universe are devoid of life. How come earth has humans on it

is: We don't know if the rest of the objects are devoid of life because even within our own solar system we've only just started exploration of them, we've only been able to send craft to them for 40 years or so, exoplanets are only just being discovered now and are far too far away for us to explore with existing technology. We don't know whether there is life anywhere else. Early indications are that it is rare but we don't have enough data right now to be sure.

But the shape of objects. We have a lot more data about that. We haven't, as far as I know, observed an object above a certain size (more accurately mass) which is not spherical. All the stars, planets and moons (again, above a certain size) appear to be spheres. And we understand why that is, gravity naturally pulls objects of a certain mass into a sphere:

https://www.spaceanswers.com/deep-space/what-is-the-minimum-size-a-celestial-body-can-become-a-sphere/

Ergo, why wouldn't the earth be a sphere?

This actually raises a question about your Wiki which says that the other planets are "pretty small",
It doesn't state how small, but if they're less than a few hundred kilometres in diameter then they wouldn't be spherical - like that object you mentioned before, that object is too small to be pulled into a sphere by gravity and neither would the other planets be if they are as small as you suppose (I have assumed that "pretty small" means smaller than the flat earth sun which I believe is said to be about 30km across, correct me if I have that wrong).
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"