Re: Astronomers found a star colder than ice
« Reply #160 on: July 09, 2014, 08:15:45 AM »
So, my image with my nickname has more validity than a image by the NASA?

I'm surprised you even have to ask this question.

Maybe I'm part of the conspirational society? How can you know?

Several photos released by NASA say otherwise. For example, take this picture of the "Orion Nebula".

NASA has admitted to "enhancing" this photo with computers. To the naked eye, the nebula looks very dull... but after some NASA magic it suddenly looks like a tier 10 wizard spell. NASA does this with several photos. Hardly "perfectly valid".

Enhancing ≠ Modifying, in this context.

What they do, and what every astronomer does is Image Staking.

Stacked images doesn't mean "photoshoped" in the sense you mean.
I do it, and my images are as valid as what I see with my eyes, if not even more valid. The image of the Moon that I posted on the other thread, is also enhanced by stacking. I have more images, if you want them.
BTW, in the moon image I posted before, you can see the alignment marks in the borders of the image. I could cover them with black mspaint strokes, but I don't mind them to stay there.

And also use of filters to capture light from different wavelengths that your naked eye can't, so I don't understand what's wrong with it: http://www.astroshop.eu/telescope-accessories/filters/nebulae-filters/15_15_30

Something of this invalidates an image? Then you must go gack to XVI century man...

I'm not ignorant of the photo editing process. I explained what was done to the photo in my last post. I want to know what is behind the brushstrokes. Why are you avoiding the question?

Why is everyone avoiding this question?

You clearly didn't read the article by Emily Lackdawalla, otherwise, it's impossible you missed, in the second paragraph:

"you'll see the brush strokes on the night side of Dione where I painted out some misalignment in the three component images that resulted from Dione's apparent motion across Titan in the time that separated the three frames"