Billions think the world is round, why think otherwise?
« on: May 16, 2017, 09:39:17 PM »
Hello,
I am a ninth grader in Stuyvesant High School in New York, writing a research paper on flat earth theorists and why they hold their beliefs. As part of the assignment requirements, I need to conduct an interview related to the subject, and I imagine many of you here have your own personal reasons for believing what you do. I am wondering if someone here is available (preferably) today or tomorrow for an interview by phone, video chat, or if needed, email. This should be a very short interview, 15 minutes at most, although I would be available longer if you want. If you're interested, please send an email to dj5826@yahoo.com . Thank you!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 03:05:24 AM by AnInquisitiveAlpaca »

geckothegeek

Re: Billions think the world is flat, why think otherwise?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 02:42:03 AM »
You should talk to Tom Bishop. He is the authority on flat earth.

Offline rabinoz

• Just look South at the Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 02:59:06 AM »
Hello,
I am a ninth grader in Stuyvesant High School in New York, writing a research paper on flat earth theorists and why they hold their beliefs. As part of the assignment requirements, I need to conduct an interview related to the subject, and I imagine many of you here have your own personal reasons for believing what you do. I am wondering if someone here is available (preferably) today or tomorrow for an interview by phone, video chat, or if needed, email. This should be a very short interview, 15 minutes at most, although I would be available longer if you want. If you're interested, please send an email to dj5826@yahoo.com . Thank you!
If you are a ninth grader why would you think that "Billions think the world is flat . . . . . ?"
Do you have any basis for that impression?
The Globe seems to have been the accepted shape for a couple of millennia and there is plenty of evidence for that.
Undoubtedly there are billions who would not have given the matter any great thought.

But, good luck with your assignment.

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 03:05:06 AM »
I meant to write that they believe the world is round. That's rather embarrassing, thank you for pointing that out.

Re: Billions think the world is round, why think otherwise?
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 07:37:40 AM »
Round like a flat disk?

Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• Life is meaningless & everything dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 08:23:35 AM »

9th grade?

How old is that? (me not American!)
Just to be clear, you are all terrific, but everything you say is exactly what a moron would say.

Offline rabinoz

• Just look South at the Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 10:49:46 AM »
I meant to write that they believe the world is round. That's rather embarrassing, thank you for pointing that out.
Don't take any notice of
Round like a flat disk?
As his name suggests, disputeone likes creating disputes, but it is a good idea to use the term Globe, to remove any ambiguity.

Even some 1400 years the Venerable Bede was careful to use the term Globe, see
One of the best-known proponents of a globe-shaped earth was the early English monk, theologian and historian, the Venerable Bede (673–735), who popularized the common BC/AD dating system. Less well known was that he was also a leading astronomer of his day.
. . . . . . . . . . . .
Here is what Bede said about the shape of the earth—round “like a ball” not “like a shield”:
    “We call the earth a globe, not as if the shape of a sphere were expressed in the diversity of plains and mountains, but because, if all things are included in the outline, the earth’s circumference will represent the figure of a perfect globe. … For truly it is an orb placed in the centre of the universe; in its width it is like a circle, and not circular like a shield but rather like a ball, and it extends from its centre with perfect roundness on all sides.”

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 01:34:51 PM »
I am willing to do a forum interview. Post your questions for me here and I will reply.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 02:31:18 PM »

9th grade?

How old is that? (me not American!)
14/15.

I am willing to do a forum interview. Post your questions for me here and I will reply.
FYI everyone if OP comes back and Tom is doing a Q&A session, this thread will be much more strictly moderated.

totallackey

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2017, 04:45:40 PM »
Hello,
I am willing to answer questions.

Please post them here at this forum or PM here at this forum.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2017, 05:27:53 PM »
I would also be open to a text-based interview. Perhaps it's easiest if you just post your questions here and everyone that's interested can answer?
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume