Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
Re: All planets are circular.
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2017, 04:35:10 PM »
The human eye at night sees planets in our solar system as round, sphere like object, we can all agree on. How is this planet we live on any different and why?

The earth is not a planet.

Are you willing to back that up with any proof?

Yes. See: Earth Not a Globe by Samuel Birley Rowbotham

Here's a quote from Mr. Rowbotham, "There are rivers that flow for hundreds of miles towards the level of the sea without falling more than a few feet — notably, the Nile, which, in a thousand miles, falls but a foot. A level expanse of this extent is quite incompatible with the idea of the Earth's convexity. It is, therefore, a reasonable proof that Earth is not a globe."

Cairo, Egypt, at the mouth of the Nile has an elevation 75 ft above sea level. Khartoum, Sudan, also directly on the Nile is 1000 miles south has an elevation 1247 ft. About halfway between them is the Nile city of Aswan, Egypt, elevation 646 ft. The modern theodolite (a surveying tool) was invented in 1787, 29 years before Rowbotham's birth. He has no excuse for the inaccuracy of his statement. This gross error in his understanding of such simple geography absolutely disqualifies him from any serious participation in a discussion of the shape of the planet.

Sources: Google and Wikipedia.

Show me where he said that.
He is incorrect in who the quote is from, but it WAS from someone influence by Rowbatham's work. It's from "A Hundred Proofs the Earth is Not a Globe" which you helpfully have on your wiki. The noted statement is point number 4 as seen on this page. https://wiki.tfes.org/A_hundred_proofs_the_Earth_is_not_a_globe Published in 1885, 100 years past the invention of the theodolite. William born in 1830, ~40 years after it's invention.

No one was talking about William Carpenter. Why are you trying to use the words that one man said to discredit the words that another man said?

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2017, 04:38:23 PM »
No one was talking about William Carpenter. Why are you trying to use the words that one man said to discredit the words that another man said?
I did not, and I unless presented with evidence to the contrary, would presume Chip made an honest mistake in who the quote was attributed to. The Wikipedia page is unfortunately not 100% clear that the quote is not actually from Mr. Rowbotham. Fairly easy mistake to make when looking at the page.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2017, 08:18:23 PM »
I did not, and I unless presented with evidence to the contrary, would presume Chip made an honest mistake in who the quote was attributed to. The Wikipedia page is unfortunately not 100% clear that the quote is not actually from Mr. Rowbotham. Fairly easy mistake to make when looking at the page.

It says fairly clearly on the first sentence of that page that the work is attributed to William Carpenter. William Carpenter is not Samuel Birley Rowbotham. I don't know what you want from me.

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2017, 08:56:05 PM »

It says fairly clearly on the first sentence of that page that the work is attributed to William Carpenter. William Carpenter is not Samuel Birley Rowbotham. I don't know what you want from me.
I was referring to the wiki page on Samuel Rowbotham, where the quotes are set out upon his page. A cursory reading would make it easy to think the quotes were being attributed to Mr. Rowbotham. Hence my assumption that it was an honest mistake by the other poster. I wasn't implying I needed anything from you, just attempting to clear up how the quote mis-attribution on the part of chipsullivan could have come about.

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2017, 09:39:58 PM »

My mistake. I erroneously conflated the mentor and protegé. That said, the statement about the Nile river reveals much about the mindset of both.

« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2017, 09:45:15 PM »
The human eye at night sees planets in our solar system as round, sphere like object, we can all agree on. How is this planet we live on any different and why?

The earth is not a planet.

Are you willing to back that up with any proof?

Yes. See: Earth Not a Globe by Samuel Birley Rowbotham

Here's a quote from Mr. Rowbotham, "There are rivers that flow for hundreds of miles towards the level of the sea without falling more than a few feet — notably, the Nile, which, in a thousand miles, falls but a foot. A level expanse of this extent is quite incompatible with the idea of the Earth's convexity. It is, therefore, a reasonable proof that Earth is not a globe."

Cairo, Egypt, at the mouth of the Nile has an elevation 75 ft above sea level. Khartoum, Sudan, also directly on the Nile is 1000 miles south has an elevation 1247 ft. About halfway between them is the Nile city of Aswan, Egypt, elevation 646 ft. The modern theodolite (a surveying tool) was invented in 1787, 29 years before Rowbotham's birth. He has no excuse for the inaccuracy of his statement. This gross error in his understanding of such simple geography absolutely disqualifies him from any serious participation in a discussion of the shape of the planet.

Sources: Google and Wikipedia.

Show me where he said that.
He is incorrect in who the quote is from, but it WAS from someone influence by Rowbatham's work. It's from "A Hundred Proofs the Earth is Not a Globe" which you helpfully have on your wiki. The noted statement is point number 4 as seen on this page. https://wiki.tfes.org/A_hundred_proofs_the_Earth_is_not_a_globe Published in 1885, 100 years past the invention of the theodolite. William born in 1830, ~40 years after it's invention.

My mistake. I erroneously conflated the mentor and protegé. That said, the horribly inaccurate statement about the Nile river reveals much about the mindset of both.