According to Einstein, all motion is relative. So it strikes me that whether you say the earth is moving or the earth is stationary is just a matter of perspective. So for those drawn to the flat earth model because it is geocentric, maybe you can have your cake and eat it too! Just assume the earth is stationary....and also round! Then you do not need to make all of the unsupportable rationalizations for why the sun, moon and stars set, why ships disappear below the horizon and all of that.

Saying the earth is the still point at the center of the Universe is just as supportable as saying any other point is the center. It is kind of like when the train next to yours pulls out of the station and at first you don't know if your train is moving or the other train. It all depends on your frame of reference.

So if you are clinging to the flat earth just because you can't accept that the earth is not stationary and the center of everything, no problem. You can accept that the earth is round, and also all of the evidence supporting the fact that the earth is round, and still hold the view that the earth is stationary. It is just as rational and reasonable as any other view.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
So have you literally just made a thread addressing hypothetical people that you imagined?
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

So have you literally just made a thread addressing hypothetical people that you imagined?
Yes...and from my point of view, everyone else on this website is hypothetical  ;)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 09:16:44 PM by Nirmala »

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
I don't see the FE model as geocentric.  The Earth is not in the center of the universe according to FET.  It's not even really stationary, if you take into account UA.  So it all seems like kind of a moot point.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

I don't see the FE model as geocentric.  The Earth is not in the center of the universe according to FET.  It's not even really stationary, if you take into account UA.  So it all seems like kind of a moot point.

I was responding to several youtube videos that suggest it is silly to posit that we are moving at hundreds of thousands of miles per hour when the earth feels so stationary. And also how airplanes would not be able to land if the earth was rotating at 1000 miles per hour at the equator. The round earth model with gravity suggests that these effects are not felt because everything on earth including the atmosphere is moving along with the earth for the most part (with the exception of coriolis effects). And again all motion is relative, so it does appear from our position on earth that it is the sun and the moon that are moving.

And since you mentioned UA, I asked a question on another thread: If UA is causing objects to fall to earth, then what holds up the sun and the moon in the FE model?

And also, every action has an equal and opposite reaction. What is the opposite reaction to the acceleration of the earth?

Or looking at it another way, what is causing the earth to accelerate? What action is causing the opposite reaction of the earth's acceleration? Are there rockets attached to the underside of the earth? If not, what is pushing us to go faster all of the time?

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
I was responding to several youtube videos that suggest it is silly to posit that we are moving at hundreds of thousands of miles per hour when the earth feels so stationary.

For the record I don't think anybody who frequents this forum is a creator of one of those youtube videos.  I don't consider this a serious argument in favor of FET, myself.  I'm sure it's perfectly reasonable for some that gravity just happens to smooth out our experience so that we just happen to seem to be on a flat plane whose only discernible movement is an upwards acceleration despite actually being on a whirling globe hurtling through the heavens at a speed of thousands of miles per hour.  Sure it is.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)