Offline RoundEarth-er

• "The Earth Is Round" -- any smart person
    • View Profile
Acceleration of the earth
« on: September 18, 2018, 02:42:49 PM »
You say that the earth accelerates 9.8m/s^2
One light year is 9,500,000,000,000,000 (9 quadrillion 500 trillion)meters.
But if you do that calculations for the at least 4 billion years the earth has been around, it equals up to 39,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 (39 Septillion) meters.
so you are saying that we are currently moving way over the speed of light?
--RoundEarth-er

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Acceleration of the earth
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 02:53:54 PM »
Please read the rules and learn what forum to post in. FE topics do not belong in Suggestions & Concerns. Moved.

Also, no one is saying the earth is moving faster than the speed of light, that is impossible. I would suggesting doing some research on Special Relativity. It would also be a good idea for you to review the wiki and FAQ.

BillO

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 08:48:21 PM »
Why do flat earthers adhere to special reactivity?  After all, it is only a special case of GR and it's GR which describes the nature of gravity.

On the one hand you have Tom Bishop and others trying to disprove the validity of  GR and Newton's law of UG (BTW UG also falls out of a special case of GR) every chance he gets, on the other hand you agree with special relativity.  Since it's all the same theory and math, if SR is correct, then so is GR and UG.

So how can flat earthers accept what SR says about velocity, yet deny gravity?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 10:09:17 PM »
So how can flat earthers accept what SR says about velocity, yet deny gravity?
I don't think all that many FE'ers "deny gravity", and that's with me generously assuming that you meant "gravitation".
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

BillO

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 11:37:42 PM »
I don't think all that many FE'ers "deny gravity", and that's with me generously assuming that you meant "gravitation".
What's the essential difference?

Assuming the flat earth has mass, it will exhibit gravitation according to GR (and UG).

Maybe a better question is, how massive is the flat earth?  Is there any estimate of that?

I'm guessing it would have to be fairly massive, given its size.  There would then need to be a non-negligible contribution from the resulting gravitation to the acceleration felt at the earth's surface.

Offline rpt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 01:37:18 PM »

So why is the force of gravity perpendicular to the surface and not towards the North Pole? Why doesn't gravity cause the earth to form into a sphere like all other observable planets?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 01:52:10 PM »
So why is the force of gravity perpendicular to the surface and not towards the North Pole? Why doesn't gravity cause the earth to form into a sphere like all other observable planets?
Hello, newcomer. Please read the FAQ and work your way up from there.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume