Re: Xbox users are bricking their consoles
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2013, 11:40:55 PM »
That's terrible, of course kids would fall for something like that. Why the fuck did Microsoft leave that accessible.

It's 4chan, if people take anything said seriously over there then they deserve the lesson.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2013, 11:44:15 PM »
That's terrible, of course kids would fall for something like that. Why the fuck did Microsoft leave that accessible.

It's 4chan, if people take anything said seriously over there then they deserve the lesson.
Completely agree, I didn't realize it was from 4chan.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2013, 11:44:48 PM »
It's also significantly easier to un-brick a PC.
Depends on how badly you've bricked it. But yes, that is something consoles should work on.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2013, 11:50:52 PM »
Depends on how badly you've bricked it. But yes, that is something consoles should work on.

Either way, it is an issue that is harmful to unsuspecting users, and barely useful at all to developers. If they make software resets easier to perform, then great, but I also think they should make these sorts of commands harder to access than this. Nobody would lose anything out of it.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2013, 11:59:10 PM »
I don't know why posting something like that isn't illegal. It causes people millions of dollars of damage each year.
I don't know about that.  It sounds like a good way to stimulate the console repair industry.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2013, 12:18:33 AM »
Either way, it is an issue that is harmful to unsuspecting users, and barely useful at all to developers. If they make software resets easier to perform, then great, but I also think they should make these sorts of commands harder to access than this. Nobody would lose anything out of it.

They've already been pretty explicit that the Xbone can not play Xbox 360 games. Sometimes you just gotta deal with the fact that you can't fix stupid. If system32 exists, someone is going to find out how to get other people to delete it. There will always be little ways to trick people into bricking their stuff.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2013, 12:20:20 AM »

They've already been pretty explicit that the Xbone can not play Xbox 360 games. Sometimes you just gotta deal with the fact that you can't fix stupid. If system32 exists, someone is going to find out how to get other people to delete it. There will always be little ways to trick people into bricking their stuff.

It's rarely as simple as this.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2013, 12:22:55 AM »

It only takes 2 command lines to brick a PC.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2013, 12:25:52 AM »

It only takes 2 command lines to brick a PC.

I was talking about consoles, but okay.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2013, 12:54:11 AM »

There is no under-the-hood difference between the current gen consoles and a PC.

This statement is all kinds of silly.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2013, 02:14:50 AM »
I'm with Rushy on this one. It doesn't matter how hard it is to access the dev console if people are producing instructions that consist of:

1. Access the dev console
2. Press the "DO NOT PUSH THAT BUTTON" button

If people are dumb enough to follow these instructions, they'll follow any instructions to the same effect.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2013, 02:21:52 AM »
I wonder why they actually did turn off backwards compatibility.  I mean, it's not like they couldn't have built an emulation layer.  The damn thing's powerful enough.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2013, 02:33:37 AM »
I wonder why they actually did turn off backwards compatibility.  I mean, it's not like they couldn't have built an emulation layer.  The damn thing's powerful enough.

Emulation is not a software issue, it's a hardware one. The original PS3 could only emulate PS2 games because they literally built a PS2 into the damn thing. The Xbone's architecture is too radically different from an Xbox 360 for proper emulation. Same goes for the PS4.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2013, 02:40:14 AM »

There is no under-the-hood difference between the current gen consoles and a PC.

This statement is all kinds of silly.

Well, the big obvious difference is that wiping your hard drive and/or reinstalling your OS will solve most possible fuck-ups on your PC. Now, I'll admit I haven't looked up on this, but I'm pretty sure reinstalling the OS in Xbox One, or even doing a factory reset if the system is in a boot loop, isn't such a simple matter. It's probably possible, but it's still silly to say it's anywhere near comparable to how you would go about doing last-resort troubleshooting for PC.

lolno

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2013, 02:40:43 AM »

Emulation is not a software issue, it's a hardware one. The original PS3 could only emulate PS2 games because they literally built a PS2 into the damn thing. The Xbone's architecture is too radically different from an Xbox 360 for proper emulation. Same goes for the PS4.
*reads up on the specs of both X-Boxes*
Yeah, I see what you mean.  Damn.  I guess when you're designing a gaming console, you can need to sacrifice compatibility for efficiency.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2013, 03:36:06 AM »
I'm pretty sure they made the Xbox One big enough to fit a couple whole 360s in there
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2013, 03:52:24 AM »
I'm pretty sure they made the Xbox One big enough to fit a couple whole 360s in there

The Xbox One is large enough to contain precisely one Xbox One.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2013, 04:03:13 AM »
but there's so much empty space

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2013, 04:17:59 AM »
I'd say of all the newest generation consoles, the Xbone is the best. The operating system is fluid, and intuitive, and it seems to be pretty powerful. The demo at work runs Battlefield 4 at what looks like a constant 60 FPS.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2013, 04:21:37 AM »
PS4 is demonstrably more powerful, however. For example: running games in actual 1080p rather than 720p or upscaled 900p like the Xbox One.