Ghost of V

Re: Supes' Must-Listen-To List (Recommend me albums!)
« Reply #180 on: August 29, 2014, 09:52:01 PM »
Fine, continue listening to shitty space rock for all I care.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 29, 2014, 10:18:41 PM »
Okay
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #182 on: August 29, 2014, 10:38:59 PM »

Offline Foxbox

• We live inside a dream.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 29, 2014, 10:42:30 PM »
Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space is a fantastic album. I am happy that you liked it, Snupes. And like usual, out favorites are pretty much the same! :D

Ghost of V

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 30, 2014, 04:39:43 AM »
Beastie Boys - Licensed to Ill: Okay, so I always thought of the Beastie Boys as a throwaway silly white rap act. I cannot overstate how much of a shock it was, then, that this album was actually seriously fucking awesome. They are silly, but in a very on-purpose way rather than the corny “80s white people rap” I thought it was. A lot of the stuff is very satirical and making fun of rap and music and pop culture and it’s great; they’re a very self-aware group and the way they use it to be silly and fun while still having genuinely great rhymes and fucking wonderful beats is just marvelous. I said on IRC that it seems like they’re the Beach Boys of hip hop, and I stand by that after having finished. Their vocal interplay is impeccable, the way they drop in and out and switch rappers in the middle of a rhyme or a word or back each other up just seals the deal. This album is amazing. My favourites are “She’s Crafty” (first track to make me laugh out loud), “Girls” (which is absolutely fucking ridiculous) and “Time to Get Ill” (which is just really awesome and a great ending). Those are my favourites for sure, but the rest are really damn awesome too. The only song I didn’t really care much for was “Slow Ride” because of the sample. But yeah, fucking awesome, so thanks to Foxbox for recommending I grab it since it was $5 on Amazon.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 04, 2014, 06:23:54 AM »
The Dandelion Wars - We Were Always Loyal to Lost Causes: Well, I can’t honestly say I loved it, but this was really good. I guess my only problem is that it kind of feels like post-rock lite after I’ve listened to a bunch of stuff like Swans and Their Silver Mt. Zion Cherry-Picking Dwarves & Post-Ampersand Band or whatever. I prefer the ones that switch it up a little more (“The Devil’s Black Wool” is my favourite) or the ones that are just really pretty (“Bloom”, “Strange Ghosts”), and overall it was a really good listen, but aside from the few I pointed out there nothing really stood out as a track. So yeah. I really enjoyed it as a listen, but I can’t say I found it amazing.

The Glitch Mob - Love Death Immortality: Well, that disappointingly didn’t live up to how much of an amazing album Drink the Sea was. This was mostly standard “electronic verse repeated a few times with drops” fare, and the ones that strayed from that formula weren’t particularly novel or very interesting themselves. It’s an enjoyable listen, but there was nothing amazing, whereas the former album was (IMO) amazing. The one track I loved here was “Skullclub”, just for how intense and fun it was. Second-best would probably be “Beauty of the Unhidden Heart (feat. Sister Crayon)”, which was just really pretty. A few tracks showed a lot of promise, but never really went anywhere with it. Ah well.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 09:51:06 AM by Snupes »

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 08, 2014, 05:47:39 AM »
Buddy Holly - Buddy Holly: This was pretty hit-and-miss, as the songs were either really fun or pretty dull. For the most part I liked them, yet still some of them felt like half-assed tracks that didn’t really have much to offer. I will say, though, I love how short most of them are. The best is easily “Ready Teddy” which, despite extremely dated lingo, is very fun and is the rock ‘n roll I was kinda hoping for. “Mailman, Bring Me No More Blues” is extremely simple and short, but I love it perhaps for that; “Listen to Me” is painfully cheesy but has a great melody; “I’m Gonna Love You Too” is pretty repetitive but I like. Other than “(You’re So Square) Baby I Don’t Care”, I’m not much a fan of the rest, but it wasn’t bad.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 17, 2014, 12:54:51 PM »
Panic! at the Disco - Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die!: So this was disappointing. :] It’ll probably grow on me over time, though, since every Panic! album I’ve listened to I didn’t like too much at first then grew to love over time. It’s just that usually their albums are really varied, whereas this is sort of standard alt. rock fare at times. It’s also not as bizarre as I was hoping it would be, given the title, since how weird “A Fever You Can’t Sweat Out” was was a big part of why it grew on me despite being a badly-made album. Anyway, yeah. I appreciate the electronicness since they always try a new style on each album. My favourite song is easily “Girl That You Love” thanks to the weird vocals and new wave sound, second is “The End of All Things” which is slow and pretty and not something they’d done before, followed by “Girls/Girls/Boys” which I thought I’d hate because the video looked like some sexy, sulky song while it’s actually really upbeat with fantastic vocals. So wheeeee new panic

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 19, 2014, 03:46:28 AM »
So, I've decided I'm going to try to listen to at least one album a day, with a specific focus on mainly listening to stuff that's on my damn list already. That said, this first listen is important because it's one of the first albums I ever put on any sort of "must-listen-to" list, a while before this list was even an actual thing. With that out of the way...

The Academy Is... - Fast Times at Barrington High: I liked the first song, but as it was playing I knew that this album was either going to be really enjoyable or very, very mediocre and samey. I’ve heard enough power pop/pop punk groups to know that those are really the only two avenues they go with me. Unfortunately, this was the latter of the two. Basically all of the songs sound more or less the same, follow the same format and are about sex with various circumstance changes. It wasn’t all bad—“Crowded Room” starts out great and becomes pretty good, and “About a Girl” is pleasantly power pop—but for the most part it was just dull.

Lily Allen - It's Not Me, It's You: I always thought Lily Allen was kind of generic, vapid pop, but boy was I wrong. This album was absolutely wonderful. I wasn’t too sure about it at first, but when you have a prude like me smirking at a song entirely about sex (“Not Fair”), you’re doing something right. “22” is a really sweet, sad track, and “Back to the Start” is nice, but I really fell in love with the album at “Never Gonna Happen”. The music is so odd (accordion synthpop??) and bizarre and amazing that I could not resist it. Having the song “Fuck You” as a follow-up (which had me giggling the the cheerful “fuck you very, very much!”s permeating the track) sealed the deal.

Those two are easily my favourites, but “Who’d Have Known” deserves a mention for being a genuinely sweet love song rather than a cliché piece of work like most love songs are. “Him” is a neat track as well, for pondering God without being pretentious, dismissive or overly-silly. Just plain pondering some mundane things about Him and having a bit of fun.

So yeah, I was very, very, very pleasantly surprised by this album. I’m definitely going to have to check out more of her stuff. She reminds me a lot of Regina Spektor, and a bit of Marina and the Diamonds, but with a much more electronic edge and a bit more sass. I love it.

Panda Bear - Person Pitch: I don’t like Panda Bear’s singing, at least when it’s at the forefront like in the opening track, but when it’s more of a background thing or so vague that you can barely even tell it’s singing, I love the effect it has on the music. Not to mention the fact that the music itself is wonderful; electronic, psychedelic experimentation and samples galore. The first two songs were just alright, but from then on it was quite wondrous. There’s no shortage of creativity on this album, that’s for sure. It also helped once I stopped trying to pay attention to the lyrics, because I honestly found them kind of cringe-worthy. Very good album and definitely recommend. My favourite track is easily “Search for Delicious”, which is strange and fantastic, followed by the atrociously-punctuated “Bro’s”.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 06:38:02 AM by Snupes »

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 20, 2014, 06:46:07 PM »
Blur - Parklife: This was a really good album! Not quite as good as I expected, but its best moments lived up to expectations. The rest was good, just not as good as I’d hoped. It’s a good album and I don’t really have much more to say. My favourite tracks were “Girls & Boys”, “London Loves” and “Lot 105”.

Ghost of V

« Reply #191 on: September 20, 2014, 07:01:40 PM »
Blur - Parklife: This was a really good album! Not quite as good as I expected, but its best moments lived up to expectations. The rest was good, just not as good as I’d hoped. It’s a good album and I don’t really have much more to say. My favourite tracks were “Girls & Boys”, “London Loves” and “Lot 105”.

I love Blur. My favorites off that album are: "Badhead", "Trouble in the Message Centre", and "Clover Over Dover" (this one probably being my favorite). I have problems with the singles on this album, especially "Girls & Boys". There's just something about that song that bothers me. It feels like a shameless money-grab song. Other than that, Parklife is a bit overrated in my opinion. It's very hit or miss. Modern Life is Rubbish is much much better.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 22, 2014, 12:49:55 AM »
I loved "Girls & Boys". It's just really well-produced and musically interesting, I think, more so than most of the other songs.

Darren Hayes - The Tension and the Spark: So I’ve actually heard this album before (it’s the album that got me into Darren Hayes in the first place), but it’s been so long that I didn’t really remember any of the songs (except for two or three). And Christ, it’s even better than I remember. It started out good, got better, then got amazing. Whether it’s sexy (“I Like the Way”), catchy and amazingly-produced (“Pop!ular”), sad (“Unlovable”), gorgeous (“Feel”), or absolute perfection (“Ego”), everything about it was top notch. His voice is easily my favourite from any musical artist. His falsetto is a national treasure and I would absolutely trade voices with him even if it meant having a guy voice. I love it that much. I’m absolutely going to be listening to all these songs more. What a perfect

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 22, 2014, 12:53:06 AM »
giwrls oo loik boys oo loik giwrls oo loik boys oo awre giwrls oo loik boys oo are giwrls oo dig bois loik thew're giwrls
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Ghost of V

« Reply #194 on: September 22, 2014, 12:58:09 AM »
What a perfect

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: September 22, 2014, 01:21:57 AM »
Are you familiar with Blind Pilot, Snupes? I suggested the album Three Rounds and a Sound a long time ago, but I think it was buried in the millions of shit dadrock suggestions people were giving at the time. Oh nevermind, it is on the list. Surrounded by shitrock: dad's greatest hits, I bet.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 01:42:26 AM by Particle Person »

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 22, 2014, 05:27:27 PM »
Are you familiar with Blind Pilot, Snupes? I suggested the album Three Rounds and a Sound a long time ago, but I think it was buried in the millions of shit dadrock suggestions people were giving at the time. Oh nevermind, it is on the list. Surrounded by shitrock: dad's greatest hits, I bet.

Surprisingly it's actually immediately surrounded by relatively recent stuff. Then dadrock, of course, around that

Blind Pilot - 3 Rounds and a Sound: My biggest complaint with this album is that it all sort of blends together, so I can’t really recall many of the songs specifically, but it was a very good listen. It’s a very folky thing and it’s very, very pretty. I can tell you my two favourite songs were “Oviedo” and “3 Rounds and a Sound”, which were bother pretty beautiful and well-written. The writing on the album is superb, even if a large markjority of the time I’m not sure what the song is actually about. It’s just lyrically interesting regardless. So yes, very many good. I'm a sucker for this kind of music.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 06:24:37 PM by Snupes »

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 22, 2014, 06:30:29 PM »
I'm a sucker for this kind of music.

I knew it! Blind Pilot is great for curling up with your ten cats on a rainy day and having a long think about your emotions.

I agree that the songs blend together. Well, except for Bitter End which is unique in that it's the only track on the album I don't like.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 06:32:01 PM by Particle Person »

Ghost of V

Re: Snupes' Must-Listen-To List (Recommend me albums!)
« Reply #198 on: September 22, 2014, 07:15:11 PM »
I recommend Nickelback's Here and Now. Great album.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
Re: Snupes' Must-Listen-To List (Recommend me albums!)
« Reply #199 on: September 22, 2014, 08:07:35 PM »
I recommend Nickelback's Here and Now. Great album.
0/10
The Mastery.