Offline stack

• View Profile
Re: Cancer is easily cured with common grocery store items
« Reply #260 on: July 07, 2019, 11:28:34 PM »
The study you cited is a totally different study with different doses and cancers and timespans.

The people in the study I cited were given the same treatment and their cancers were suppressed in a double-blind study against a control group. The control group without the high doses of garlic had cancers which proliferated. How did those people in that study taking high dose garlic coincidentally regress?

The quote provided from the paper I referenced is in regard to the study you originally referenced. Read it again.

But jesus, where are you going with all this? More research is required. The paper I referenced cited promising elements of AGE as a cancer inhibitor, but that many factors have not been controlled for in the human studies so it's efficacy is still unknown. I am not arguing that garlic may provide some health benefits. So may red wine and a Med diet for heart disease. But it's cavalier to be stating things like the title of this thread and "Garlic suppresses cancer in humans" when it's unclear and certainly undecided.

I'm all for the research, so it's great to dig these studies and such up and share, just don't go laying down absolutes where there aren't any. It's misleading. 

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: July 08, 2019, 12:04:10 AM »
Garlic suppresses cancer in humans:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16484573

Aged garlic extract has potential suppressive effect on colorectal adenomas in humans.
Tanaka S1, Haruma K, Yoshihara M, Kajiyama G, Kira K, Amagase H, Chayama K.

The results suggest AGE suppresses progression of colorectal adenomas in humans. It appears that AGE has multiple pathways to reduce cancer incidence and suppress its growth and proliferation.
Tom, if your own source won't say with certainty that AGE suppresses cancer, then you shouldn't either.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

BillO

« Reply #262 on: July 22, 2019, 01:48:06 PM »
The study you cited is a totally different study with different doses and cancers and timespans.

The people in the study I cited were given the same treatment and their cancers were suppressed in a double-blind study against a control group. The control group without the high doses of garlic had cancers which proliferated. How did those people in that study taking high dose garlic coincidentally regress?

One study is just an indication and not a reason to claim anything.  There could have been other commonalities between those that enjoyed the cancer suppression.  A good result like this is certainly cause for further study though.   

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: August 26, 2019, 11:26:18 PM »
Here are some more coincidences:

https://europepmc.org/abstract/med/15726891

A Garlic Derivative, S-allylcysteine (SAC), Suppresses Proliferation and Metastasis of Hepatocellular Carcinoma

Abstract

Background

Hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) is highly malignant and metastatic. Currently, there is no effective chemotherapy for patients with advanced HCC leading to an urgent need to seek for novel therapeutic options. We aimed to investigate the effect of a garlic derivative, S-allylcysteine (SAC), on the proliferation and metastasis of HCC.

Methodology/Principal Findings

A series of in vitro experiments including MTT, colony-forming, wound-healing, invasion, apoptosis and cell cycle assays were performed to examine the anti-proliferative and anti-metastatic effects of SAC on a metastatic HCC cell line MHCC97L. The therapeutic values of SAC single and combined with cisplatin treatments were examined in an in vivo orthotopic xenograft liver tumor model. The result showed that the proliferation rate and colony-forming abilities of MHCC97L cells were suppressed by SAC together with significant suppression of the expressions of proliferation markers, Ki-67 and proliferating cell nuclear antigen (PCNA). Moreover, SAC hindered the migration and invasion of MHCC97L cells corresponding with up-regulation of E-cadherin and down-regulation of VEGF. Furthermore, SAC significantly induced apoptosis and necrosis of MHCC97L cells through suppressing Bcl-xL and Bcl-2 as well as activating caspase-3 and caspase-9. In addition, SAC could significantly induce the S phase arrest of MHCC97L cells together with down-regulation of cdc25c, cdc2 and cyclin B1. In vivo xenograft liver tumor model demonstrated that SAC single or combined with cisplatin treatment inhibited the progression and metastasis of HCC tumor.

Conclusions/Significance

Our data demonstrate the anti-proliferative and anti-metastatic effects of SAC on HCC cells and suggest that SAC may be a potential therapeutic agent for the treatment of HCC patients.

https://clincancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/13/6/1847.short

Garlic-Derived S-allylmercaptocysteine Is a Novel In vivo Antimetastatic Agent for Androgen-Independent Prostate Cancer

Abstract

Purpose: There is epidemiologic evidence that high garlic consumption decreases the incidence of prostate cancer, and compounds isolated from garlic have been shown to have cancer-preventive and tumor-suppressive effects. Recent in vitro studies in our laboratory have shown that garlic-derived organosulfur compound S-allylmercaptocysteine suppresses invasion and cell motility of androgen-independent prostate cancer cells via the up-regulation of cell-adhesion molecule E-cadherin. S-allylmercaptocysteine is therefore a potential antimetastatic drug with broad clinical applications that we tested in vivo for the first time in this study.

Experimental Design: We used a newly established fluorescent orthotopic androgen-independent prostate cancer mouse model to assess the ability of S-allylmercaptocysteine to inhibit tumor growth and dissemination.

Results: We showed that oral S-allylmercaptocysteine not only inhibited the growth of primary tumors by up to 71% (P < 0.001) but also reduced the number of lung and adrenal metastases by as much as 85.5% (P = 0.001) without causing notable toxicity. This metastatic suppression was accompanied by a 91% reduction of viable circulating tumor cells (P = 0.041), suggesting that S-allylmercaptocysteine prevents dissemination by decreasing tumor cell intravasation.

Conclusions: Our results provide in vivo evidence supporting the potential use of S-allylmercaptocysteine as an E-cadherin up-regulating antimetastatic agent for the treatment of androgen-independent prostate cancer. This is the first report of the in vivo antimetastatic properties of garlic, which may also apply to other cancer types.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 08:02:35 AM by Tom Bishop »

Offline katrex

• View Profile
« Reply #265 on: October 17, 2019, 01:52:31 AM »
Let's deal with the fallacies first.

"nature, which has already provided everything we need for our survival."
True and false. We have changed the natural environment around us such that we can survive in it.

https://images.takeshape.io/fd194db7-7b25-4b5a-8cc7-da7f31fab475/dev/71d1627b-ab60-4112-833c-fee00220cb5f/Maize-teosinte.jpg?auto=compress%2Cformat

This link is an image of how we have changed corn/maize over time. There is nothing "natural" about the systematic selective breeding i.e. genetic engineering we have done to it. Even if once upon a time nature was trying to help us out (which i dispute) theres no reason the genetic traits it had that helped us should still exist.

"Natural remedies are the best remedies because humans and their natural food sources are in symbioses."

Could you show how we are in symbiosis with our environment? It looks to me like we've completely and utterly dominated it with machine, pesticide and selective breeding. Also what about something being natural makes it good? Scorpion stings and arsnic are both "natural". I'll take antibiotics over those anyday when im ill.

"Our fruits and vegetables depend on animals to spread their seeds through their faeces",
False: Our fruits rely on us to spread them plant them use pesticide on them and so on, all natural defences they had to disease have been weeded out excuse the pun, in favour of higher yields higher edible content. For example, Did you know bananas are sterile? And going extinct? Because of us?

"and will never deliberately hurt us." Fruits are not sentient. Lots of fruits are poisonous, there are lots of berries we can't eat, we just don't cultivate them because why would we?

"In fact, they have evolved to benefit us, as we benefit them, and make sure to feed us with an assortment of vitamins and nutrition as an incentive."
we have selectively bred them to benefit us, but we have breed them for high yields, not vitamin content. Not that vitamins cure cancer

"We also have shared enemies with the plants, such as fungus, bacteria, and viruses. Plants will also get cancer, just like we do. It stands to reason, therefore, that anything a plant makes to repel those things will benefit us as well."
This is probably the only sound thing you've said. And its true we do extract many pharmaceutical ingredients from plants.

Cancer treatments, however, are much harder to find than an antibacterial agent. Because cancer is our own body malfunctioning rather than a foreign invader. Cancer is what happens when our own system fails to regulate itself. Unfortunately, our body is also what we call a homeostatic mechanism. It keeps itself highly regulated. And since it sees cancer as part of itself(this is why your immune system isn't killing cancer) it also protects cancer. So anything you put in that tries to change this state of balance your body will simply adjust to.

I get that cancer treatment is fucking expensive, and often feels hopeless, but thats not a good reason to not see a real doctor. On the upside 2/3rds of people with cancer survive it with modern medicine. I doubt your grocery list will get that high a success rate. And an anecdotal handful of people who spontaneously went in remission is as much evidence as me calling heads and it landing heads 10 times in a row makes me psychic.

Offline bobbyflay

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: October 24, 2019, 07:20:02 AM »
In an attempt to make claims/context as straight forward and not debatable as possible:

when people are cured of cancer with modern technologies such as chemo, there is no news reporting or articles to be made about it. if I were to remove my tumors by watching lots of TV, some universities might want to look through my case and determine what I did right. however, if I were to have my supposed tumors surgically removed as advised, nobody would give a shit.

I'd have to be honest, however, cancer doesn't seem like a disease that is easily curable.

I'm sure I have about a million fallacies in my 5 or so sentences, but I don't really care. I just need to know how to cure cancer easily with common grocery story items.
Quote from: Tom Bishop
If some garlic will kill cancer, then lots of garlic will cure cancer. It's not really such a difficult leap. You might as well tell me it's only possible to get a little wet from my refrigerator's water dispenser.