Re: Eric Dubay shot us down
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2015, 09:03:59 AM »
Eric, do you have a better model for a flat Earth? If so, stop with the petty insults and post the damn thing. We are mostly concerned with debating here, not playground drama.

Personally, I'd love to hear an alternate flat Earth model that holds up to more scrutiny than ours. Although I'd imagine it would be hard to find one.

Also, your forum seems suspiciously barren.

I've written an entire book on it, and yes the flat Earth model has no need to account for gravity as it does NOT exist:  http://www.atlanteanconspiracy.com/2015/02/flat-earth-conspiracy-challenge.html  And I'd rather have a "barren" genuine forum than a lively controlled opposition forum full of shills like you've got here, thanks.

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2015, 09:09:13 AM »
Hello Eric, welcome to the FES. As you can probably already see, we have quite a few people who are very passionate about the Flat Earth subject here. Nonetheless, any disagreements we may have aside, I hope you enjoy your stay here.

I would like to clarify that we have no links to the Flat Earth Society of Canada, and any such accusations should be backed with ample evidence rather than restating the non-point over and over. IFERS is generally used as the official name (as printed in certificates and press releases), while FES is the everyday name used for ease of reference. Note that neither of those are FESoC, which for some reason you insist on branding FES. The only thing you've managed to "expose" so far is that you disagree with us (which is fine), and that you're willing to lower yourself to slander to exclaim it (which is not fine).

That said, this society operates under the principles of volunteer contribution and general consensus. If you want to see our FAQ changed, convince our members that your views are correct. If you establish yourself here, I'll happily grant you edit access to our Wiki, and you'll be able to shape it together with us. Notably, this would require you to act at the very least in a neutral manner. You may want to forget your "full administrative control" idea for a few years - we don't just hand that out to strangers.

If you want to make contributions to the Flat Earth model, you've found the right place. Now you just need to actually start contributing and convincing people that what you have to say is true. If that's not fine by you, I expect most our members (other than Thork) will consider you largely irrelevant.

The FESC changed its name to the FES a year after it started.  The FES is Ferrari's FES, the only FES that has ever existed.  One of your "Zetetic Council" members dared to say he'd never heard of Leo Ferrari even though he was the sworn enemy of the IFERS you claim to be.  I'm not interested in climbing up your hierarchy trying to prove to you that the Earth isn't constantly rising and gravity doesn't exist.  If that's the kind of caliber discussion I have to have with fellow supposed flat Earthers, I'll politely bow out and let you discredit yourselves with that non-sense.

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2015, 09:55:31 AM »
Mr. Dubay, as both a longtime believer in FET and founding father, I am highly skeptical of your tactics. You seem incapable of the basic tenants of conversation, or even simple research. How do you plan to spread Flat Earth Theory if you're busy throwing around slanderous accusations against some of the only people that are, at their core, in agreement with you?
You don't think I'm going to post here sober, do you?  ???

I have embraced my Benny Franko side. I'm sleazy.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2015, 10:14:05 AM »
I'm not interested in climbing up your hierarchy trying to prove to you that the Earth isn't constantly rising and gravity doesn't exist.  If that's the kind of caliber discussion I have to have with fellow supposed flat Earthers, I'll politely bow out and let you discredit yourselves with that non-sense.
No one said anything about a hierarchy. If you claim to be correct, then surely you have what it takes to present and defend your views. Even the most laughable round earthers at least make an effort. You, on the other hand, expect for us to just take your insults and not wonder why you have so much aggression to offer, and so little information.

Perhaps it's you who's the "controlled opposition" here, as you so boldly like to call others? After all, all you do is call others wrong. You instigate in-fighting while bringing nothing to the table. C'mon. Show us what you've got.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 10:17:07 AM by pizaaplanet »
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Ghost of V

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2015, 05:09:28 PM »
Eric, do you have a better model for a flat Earth? If so, stop with the petty insults and post the damn thing. We are mostly concerned with debating here, not playground drama.

Personally, I'd love to hear an alternate flat Earth model that holds up to more scrutiny than ours. Although I'd imagine it would be hard to find one.

Also, your forum seems suspiciously barren.

I've written an entire book on it, and yes the flat Earth model has no need to account for gravity as it does NOT exist:  http://www.atlanteanconspiracy.com/2015/02/flat-earth-conspiracy-challenge.html  And I'd rather have a "barren" genuine forum than a lively controlled opposition forum full of shills like you've got here, thanks.

Insults, baseless claims, and posturing is not going to sell your books, Eric... especially not here. The fact that you're not even willing to discuss your views and would rather link people to your unprofessional lulu book store link (takes forever to load, btw) says a lot about you and your material. Do you think that you're so special that we have to pay simply to find out why you think the Earth is flat? Ha. Give me a break, Dubay. Every link on your blog (links that would seemingly go to more information about your theories) is simply a link to your lulu book store and nothing more.

It seems to me that you're mainly focused on making a profit, and it seems like you're doing that by riding our coattails (borrowing our ideas, tweaking them a bit) then slandering our name. You do realize that we're based on Samuel Rowbotham's ideas about a flat Earth, yes? We've been doing this since 1881. I hope that you also realize that our wiki is possibly the biggest resource for flat Earth information on the web. I have checked your site to compare and I found it very lacking in material, anything I was remotely interested in was simply (once again) a plug for your books. Imagine how disappointed I was when I figured out that you're nothing but a money grubber who relies on ridiculous shock theories about Atlantis to sell books.   :-\

I think we'll stick to all the heavy lifting proving that the Earth is flat, if you don't mind. You can continue to sit in the corner and collect your (no doubt) small amount of revenue from your shameless plugging. I'm more than content with the fact that we'll never stoop to your level of profiteering, instead focusing on more important matters... like proving the Earth is flat with theories that actually hold up to scrutiny.

No hard feelings, by the way. Whenever you're feeling generous enough to actually discuss some of your theories with us, go right ahead! Although I doubt you will without taking a small paypal donation beforehand.

Also, should this be moved to angry ranting? I don't think anything constructive is going to come from Eric Dubay, and this just might turn into a flame war.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 05:17:37 PM by Vauxhall »

Thork

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2015, 06:07:59 PM »
Hello Eric.

So I have to say I am a little disappointed at the turn of events. I saw you creating great content and wondered to myself if we would not be mutually beneficial to each other. That we may bestow some honorary title upon you and you benefit from the collaborative hive mind of the flat earth society. You represent an organisation heard the world over ... and we get our message out.

And so I approached the Zetetic council to see what they said before pushing it to the rest of the community. We know all kinds of things that you don't and could have helped with suggestions and source materials for your books and videos.

And we'd benefit because you would be an ambassador for us meaning more people would be curious and come find us to hear our message. That is supposed to be Daniel Shenton's job but he's terrible at it. He disappears for months at a time and comes across as a no nothing muppet in interviews because he hasn't bothered to learn any flat earth theory.

Imagine my fucking embarrassment that the very next day after my suggestion that you make videos and blogs saying we are all NASA shills. You did it with no research, you didn't bother to ask us who we are and what we are about, our motivations, our history or anything. You just made a bunch of stuff up. We won't take it personally. You did the exact same thing to Mark Sergeant just because he disagrees with your theory on planets. We don't operate like that. All theories are welcome. Those that seem the best gain traction. We are trying to rewrite geology, cosmology, astronomy, all kinds of subjects ... no one person will get everything right. But we don't steamroller the ideas of individuals away because we don't like them - we debate them. We all agree on one thing, the shape of the earth. And that's why we have a community here.

Good luck with your videos.

One of the Shills.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 06:15:43 PM by Dr David Thork »

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2015, 08:21:19 PM »
Hello, Eric. Welcome to the Society. We seem to be in an interesting position here. You accuse us of essentially being globularist shills, not actually interested in Flat Earth Theory, yet we have the same doubts about you. Hopefully we can work to dispel these mutual fears.

Daniel Shenton's Flat Earth Society does indeed claim to descend from the IFERS. I believe Daniel claims to have been a member of the IFERS, although I could be wrong about that. To be honest, though, does our exact lineage matter? We share your goal of spreading Flat Earth Theory. Perhaps we disagree on the details, but I assume we all share ENaG as the basis for our belief. We should be allies, not enemies. There are too few FE'ers in this world for us all to be angry and distrusting of each other.

Also, I'm sorry but you were never actually a candidate for the FES presidency. Thork just has a hate-on for Daniel. There was never any serious discussion about replacing him outside of Thork's rants. I don't mean to be rude, but I felt I should set that story straight.

Nice to meet you, by the way.
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Thork

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2015, 08:30:29 PM »
Read the thread. I proposed some kind of honorary title and really only got an answer from Tom Bishop who wasn't opposed to the idea of finding someone who represents us who would do a better job than Daniel. Daniel is useless. I don't know why you all bunch your knickers every time it is suggested we can do better. We don't need him. This very site proves it. We'll never reunify anyway, Daniel is too lazy/control-happy to ever see anything come of it. You all just made yourselves look dumb fawning over him.

Our basis of beliefs don't come from ENaG. Much comes from before that and after. We just incorporate those texts too.

And does it matter where Daniel comes from? I don't come from IFERS, neither does anyone else here and Daniel isn't part of our society ... I don't know why you don't get that. He has his site, we have ours. ::)

Ghost of V

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2015, 08:33:16 PM »
Read the thread. I proposed some kind of honorary title and really only got an answer from Tom Bishop who wasn't opposed to the idea of finding someone who represents us who would do a better job than Daniel. Daniel is useless. I don't know why you all bunch your knickers every time it is suggested we can do better. We don't need him. This very site proves it. We'll never reunify anyway, Daniel is too lazy/control-happy to ever see anything come of it. You all just made yourselves look dumb fawning over him.

Our basis of beliefs don't come from ENaG. Much comes from before that and after. We just incorporate those texts too.

And does it matter where Daniel comes from? I don't come from IFERS, neither does anyone else here and Daniel isn't part of our society ... I don't know why you don't get that. He has his site, we have ours. ::)

I don't think many people disagree with you about replacing Daniel.

Picking some random on the internet, that's the issue.

Thork

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2015, 08:37:48 PM »
I wasn't suggesting doing it the very next day. As in, look at what these guys are doing. Do we want to be represented like that, could this be of use to us and them - a mutual partnership?

If it had got past the council (we never even got to voting), and then if the society at large agreed, we could then engage said individuals to find more out about them. But it back fired on me. Its OK to make new mistakes. Its making the same old stupid ones I object to.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2015, 05:37:26 PM »
Welcome Eric. 

I am not a believer in the flat earth and even I think you're an insult to Flat Earth Research.  Knowledge should be freely spread, not hidden behind a monetary transaction.  Bribery is how the conspiracy works, it shouldn't be how seekers of truth work.

You disgrace them all.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Pongo

• Most Educated Flat-Earther
  • Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2015, 05:55:54 PM »
I am not a believer in the flat earth and even I think you're an insult to Flat Earth Research.

This isn't really saying much.  It's like saying, "I'm not a believer in evolution and even I think you're an insult to evolution research."  If you don't believe in what the researcher is researching then it's very likely you think that all the research in that field is rubbish.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2015, 07:03:33 PM »
I think now would be a good time to lock this thread.  There is literally nothing of value being discussed here.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2015, 08:12:00 PM »
I am not a believer in the flat earth and even I think you're an insult to Flat Earth Research.

This isn't really saying much.  It's like saying, "I'm not a believer in evolution and even I think you're an insult to evolution research."  If you don't believe in what the researcher is researching then it's very likely you think that all the research in that field is rubbish.
Lord Dave didn't say that the research was rubbish.  Dave was saying that we shouldn't have to pay for his book so that we can discuss his research.  Big difference.  Sort of like how Anders keeps saying that we have to visit his "popular" web site to get any of his calculations.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Ghost of V

« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2015, 09:11:40 PM »
Despite Lord Dave's non-belief in the flat Earth model, he still brings up a valid point. Eric Dubay is desperate for people to purchase his books (which are not selling very well, this is easy to figure out simply by looking at his account at amazon). Eric Dubay, seeing his poor sales figures, then said: "hey, what can I do to get my nonsensical BS more recognition? Oh, I know... i'll attack a legitimate society and accuse them of being "controlled opposition" among other things." The more ridiculous his claims and the more drama he creates, the more attention he is going to get, and the bigger his cult following will become.

This is why I have decided to stop hounding him, but I will not drop my stance that he is a complete fraud.

Thork

« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2015, 09:25:44 PM »
You are taking this way too personally. There will always be Eric Dubays. John Davis was one for a start. His website will die, his books won't get read and he'll get a normal job at his local noodle bar. Let him have his moment in the sun.

Ghost of V

« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2015, 09:31:18 PM »
Let him have his moment in the sun.

I think you mean magical flat Earth luminary.

« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2015, 10:17:41 PM »
"legitimate society"...

I don't know much about this "legitimate society", because I don't read books, but this forum is not a legitimate flat earth forum. All that goes on here is making fun of flat earthers.

That is why we welcome this opportunity given to us by Eric: that is why he created the forum. Because many of us complained about these two forums where flat earthers just get ridiculed.

A place where we can discuss flat earth without your academic pedantry, without the ridicule by the fraternity dudes.

Yes, we are few and we are isolated. You are many, and you are wasting all this wealth of members: 57,000. Because that other forum is basically the same as here, except with more members.

You seem to be playing the Democrat/Republican game. You have one big forum for "ridiculing us" and this one, a smaller forum, for wasting our time with "academic pedantry".

How many of you have posted on Facebook links to this forum to spread the truth about flat earth? I don't think so. You have no enthusiasm for flat earth.

I don't know if you are paid by the government or not, but your objective here seems to be to joke around all day long, all year long.

Any real flat earthers on these two forums are at least partly masochists.

Regarding the money he makes from donations or selling whatever he sells, he could even be begging for money. That's what the few people who don't sell out are forced to do in a society where basically we all have sold out, in a way or another.

Instead, for some reason, you guys have all day long to waste here, making jokes. You are in a good mood. And you don't have financial problems.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 10:19:25 PM by acenci »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2015, 10:19:50 PM »
"legitimate society"...

I don't know much about this "legitimate society", because I don't read books, but this forum is not a legitimate flat earth forum. All that goes on here is making fun of flat earthers.

That is why we welcome this opportunity given to us by Eric: that is why he created the forum. Because many of us complained about these two forums where flat earthers just get ridiculed.

A place where we can discuss flat earth without your academic pedantry, without the ridicule by the fraternity dudes.

Yes, we are few and we are isolated. You are many, and you are wasting all this wealth of members: 57,000. Because that other forum is basically the same as here, except with more members.

You seem to be playing the Democrat/Republican game. You have one big forum for "ridiculing us" and this one, a smaller forum, for wasting our time with "academic pedantry".

How many of you have posted links to this forum to spread the truth about flat earth? I don't think so. You have no enthusiasm for flat earth.

I don't know if you are paid by the government or not, but your objective here seems to be to joke around all day long, all year long.

Any real flat earthers on these two forums are at least partly masochists.

Regarding the money he makes from donations or selling whatever he sells, he could even be begging for money. That's what the few people who don't sell out are forced to do in a society where basically we all have sold out, in a way or another.

Instead, for some reason, you guys have all day long to waste here, making jokes. You are in a good mood. And you don't have financial problems.
When the only view you allow yourself to see is your own, how can you ever be wrong?
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Ghost of V

« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2015, 10:20:04 PM »

Welcome to the public spotlight, acenci. I'm glad you finally came out from hiding.

Could you please cite where any of us have "ridiculed" flat Earth theory? Because I'm just not seeing it.