Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
[Please note: Darrell Fox is not part of the Flat Earth Society, nor is he affiliated with us in any way. We have not been approached by him. We're merely trying to spread an interesting initiative on part of this independent FE'er]

A gentleman calling himself Darrell Fox is attempting to amass some funds to perform a Flat Earth experiment, which may be worth your consideration. To summarise the effort in his own words:

I will be doing several high altitude balloon launches at different times of day to get definite proof. At the salt flats. [...]  I have found some very excellent equipment I would like to send up such as a high-definition camera attached to a gimbal to cancel the rocking that causes lens distortion. I will also be putting a Raspberry pi computer with a sensor array to give us telemetry data and a GPS tracking device to find the unit. The sensor array is the Raspberry pi Sense hat.  I have had some comments here saying that I'm using GPS to find the unit after it descends proves the earth is a globe. GPS uses ground-based technology, the signal fails at a certain altitude.

His campaign seems to already be getting some traction, with over $400 amassed (out of his $1000 goal) today. Shoud you consider it worthwhile, you can support his experiment here.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 03:32:54 PM by SexWarrior »
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

$1000 to complete this with a Raspberry Pi and low-grade HD equipment?

Im doing that exact experiment, although with better camera equipment and a balloon in A-grade material (last flight was 39,8km)

http://andruszkow.dk/stuff.jpg - There's like, $100 worth of electronics here, including all the sensors. $1000 for what? :)

The experiment itself is awesome - The catalysator for doing it is ridiculous. Boy is he going to be disappointed when he launches at nighttime when the Sun is supposedly on the other side of the globe, and find that he wont be able to see it from his balloon :)
Ignored by Intikam since 2016.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
This sounds like a message best sent to the gofundme campaigner, rather than one to randomly drop here.

This sounds like a message best sent to the gofundme campaigner, rather than one to randomly drop here.

As always, you troll. This message is a reply to a post made by TFES to discuss this news bulletin.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
As always, you troll. This message is a reply to a post made by TFES to discuss this news bulletin.
Err... I'm the person who made the original post that you're responding to. I'm not entirely sure what you're on about.

Err... I'm the person who made the original post that you're responding to. I'm not entirely sure what you're on about.

I'm well aware of that - Either way, how does that make my initial comment out of place?

Quick answer: It doesn't. I made that comment, as I've done on the crowdfunding page as well, since this is a Flat Eart Society. This is a debate forum.

Get off that piedestal please.

Also, notice how my post has hidden criticism to the budget. I even included how much a Raspberry Pi setup costs with all the necessary sensors.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Yes, hence my suggestion that you should probably talk to the person who might be able to answer you, rather than airing it into the aether.

Yes, hence my suggestion that you should probably talk to the person who might be able to answer you, rather than airing it into the aether.

You don't need to give my advice. There's no "getting the last word" for you, don't feel so superior all the time. This is a debate forum, and my comment was informative.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
This is a debate forum, and my comment was informative.
Announcements is not a debate forum (where on Earth did you get that idea?), hence my polite request for you to direct your complaints somewhere more appropriate.

You're projecting a lot with your "stop feeling superior" attitude. It's okay. You made a mistake. We all do sometimes. There's no shame to be had there. You don't have to take my advice, but you can't stop me from simply pointing out that your question is pointless here,  and that it will go unanswered if you deliberately avoid asking in the right place.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 03:50:32 PM by SexWarrior »

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Support independent Flat Earthers - help Darrell complete his experiment!
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 04:04:32 PM »

You don't need to give my advice. There's no "getting the last word" for you, don't feel so superior all the time. This is a debate forum, and my comment was informative.

As SexWarrior mentioned, this is not the place for debate. Please look at the name of each forum to determine where your posts should be made (unless it's an announcement, it shouldn't be here). If you need any help, please ask. I'll also ask you to familiarize yourself with the rules. Consider this your first warning.