Offline zp0okii

• View Profile
Photographic evidence of Earth's curvature.
« on: September 11, 2017, 03:22:02 PM »
The first photo was taken at 39,000 feet by a teenager last year, and clearly shows the curvature of the Earth (which is clearly visible on cloudless days at 35,000 feet) and the second photo shows the hull of a ship disappearing over the horizon, which proves that the Earth is not flat because if the Earth WERE flat the ship would disappear into the distance in its entirety, not from the bottom-up as it does.

Any FE'ers have explanations for these very clear images?

Offline Rounder

• What in the Sam Hill are you people talking about?
    • View Profile
Re: Photographic evidence of Earth's curvature.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 06:53:04 PM »
The first photo was taken at 39,000 feet by a teenager last year, and clearly shows the curvature of the Earth

It actually clearly shows the effect of the lens.  From that height you still can't actually see the curvature.

I'm no flatty, but that's not what the picture shows.
Proud member of İntikam's "Ignore List"
Ok. You proven you are unworthy to unignored. You proven it was a bad idea to unignore you. and it was for me a disgusting experience...Now you are going to place where you deserved and accustomed.
Quote from: SexWarrior
You accuse {FE} people of malice where incompetence suffice

Offline 3DGeek

• Path of photon from sun location to eye at sunset?
    • View Profile
    • What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset
Re: Photographic evidence of Earth's curvature.
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 08:56:15 PM »
The first photo was taken at 39,000 feet by a teenager last year, and clearly shows the curvature of the Earth

It actually clearly shows the effect of the lens.  From that height you still can't actually see the curvature.

I'm no flatty, but that's not what the picture shows.

Sadly, I have to agree - as an RE supporter - you shouldn't be able to see that much curvature at that altitude.  So most likely the lens provided some distortion.

At 39,000 feet, the horizon is dipped 3.5 degrees below the horizontal...but in a typical 60 degree field-of-view camera, the difference at the sides of the picture compared to the center is less than a pixel.

The ship-over-horizon thing is real - but it's very hard to prove it because we know that close to the surface of the ocean, the rate of temperature and humidity change in the air causes enough refraction to bend the light rays and make the results VERY hard to determine conclusively.  This is why you so often see things like mirages when you look towards the horizon.

I can tell you from past experience with Flat Earthers that these photos will not convince ANYONE.

Check out some of the other "Disproof" threads here for much less debatable evidence.
Hey Tom:  What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset?