Rama Set

Re: Just Watched
« Reply #120 on: April 09, 2014, 09:23:37 PM »
But the article made a great point of how the movie portrays the orcas as fun-loving peaceful animals when in the wild, (which is a nice fantasy). But they also mentioned how the movie was hypocritical in glorifying orcas in the wild when it suits them but also showing them as vicious predators when it suited them.

Thats not really true.  The doc points out that attacks in the wild on humans by orcas is almost entirely unheard of and that orcas are extremely social animals that likely have as strong if not stronger emotional lives than humans do.  They also show orcas mercilessly hunting seals, so any construing of the films portrayal of orcas as merely fun-loving animals is not really accurate.
That's not dismissing what I said, the context of those 2 aspects is important. I can't pick it apart more than that, but let me just link you to the article.

http://melissaasmith.hubpages.com/hub/blackfish-film

So you're basing your opinion on a backwoods internet article? Shouldn't you just watch the documentary yourself?
There are a lot of articles that say exactly the same things. Why would I want to watch people being attacked by orcas?

I'm not saying it's all fabricated lies, I rather just research it myself than watch a movie length PETA ad.

Well you seem to have made up your mind that that is what it is, but if I may, its not.  Its greyer than people make it out to be. 
I just said I wasn't saying that. My only point is that it's not the full truth; that my only qualm with it is that it makes pretty bold statements and portrays everything in a way that gets people emotionally involved in something that's not necessarily true. It's why I dislike documentaries that try and rally people behind a cause.

Are you Rushy's alt or something?  You have made up your mind that this doc is rallying people to a cause without knowing anything but someone else's interpretation of the doc.  You say they seem unbiased, but you do not really know that.  That is why I said you sound you like you made up your mind. 
But the article made a great point of how the movie portrays the orcas as fun-loving peaceful animals when in the wild, (which is a nice fantasy). But they also mentioned how the movie was hypocritical in glorifying orcas in the wild when it suits them but also showing them as vicious predators when it suited them.

Thats not really true.  The doc points out that attacks in the wild on humans by orcas is almost entirely unheard of and that orcas are extremely social animals that likely have as strong if not stronger emotional lives than humans do.  They also show orcas mercilessly hunting seals, so any construing of the films portrayal of orcas as merely fun-loving animals is not really accurate.
That's not dismissing what I said, the context of those 2 aspects is important. I can't pick it apart more than that, but let me just link you to the article.

http://melissaasmith.hubpages.com/hub/blackfish-film

So you're basing your opinion on a backwoods internet article? Shouldn't you just watch the documentary yourself?
There are a lot of articles that say exactly the same things. Why would I want to watch people being attacked by orcas?

I'm not saying it's all fabricated lies, I rather just research it myself than watch a movie length PETA ad.

Well you seem to have made up your mind that that is what it is, but if I may, its not.  Its greyer than people make it out to be. 
I just said I wasn't saying that. My only point is that it's not the full truth; that my only qualm with it is that it makes pretty bold statements and portrays everything in a way that gets people emotionally involved in something that's not necessarily true. It's why I dislike documentaries that try and rally people behind a cause.

You sound like you have made up your mind, regardless of what you say you are doing.

Ghost of V

« Reply #121 on: April 09, 2014, 09:25:19 PM »
What a surprising turn of events... rooster is Rushy's alt.  :o

Rama Set

« Reply #122 on: April 09, 2014, 09:52:01 PM »

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #123 on: April 09, 2014, 10:02:14 PM »
A typical board meeting at SeaWorld:

Ghost of V

« Reply #124 on: April 09, 2014, 10:17:03 PM »
On further shittiness by Sea World:

http://www.cbc.ca/newsblogs/yourcommunity/2014/01/sea-world-accused-of-fishy-pr-practices-rigging-blackfish-poll.html

" It would appear curious then, with so much public outcry, that in a Dec. 31 Orlando Business Journal poll asking readers whether or not “CNN’s Blackfish documentary [had] changed [their] perception of SeaWorld” 99 per cent of respondents claimed "No."

Sensing something fishy, the newspaper investigated and discovered that a single Internat Protocal Address (IP Address) was responsible for 54% of the votes.

That IP, verified by several third-party IP tracking websites according to the publication, belonged to SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment. "

Wow Seaworld, next time use a proxy.  ::)

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 09, 2014, 10:20:46 PM »

You mean, you'd rather have someone else research it than research it yourself.

Researching the documentary yourself would require you actually watching it.
I didn't mean research the movie, I meant researching claims against Sea World. I don't need to watch a doc for that.

I've seen enough meat and food documentaries to know it's not something I'd want to watch. My only point here was to introduce a bit of skepticism which many people don't do, especially when it comes to abusing animals.

I've read several articles about Tilikum and Sea World in general so it's not just one person that I'm getting all my perspective from.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 10:23:24 PM by rooster »

« Reply #126 on: April 10, 2014, 01:25:17 AM »

But I think they explain the reasoning for this. Orcas are pretty intelligent, social animals that roam across thousands of miles. Stick them in a tiny tank and make them splash fat 5-year-olds every day and they might get pissed off. It's not hypocritical to say that different causes give different effects.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 10, 2014, 03:27:43 AM »

But I think they explain the reasoning for this. Orcas are pretty intelligent, social animals that roam across thousands of miles. Stick them in a tiny tank and make them splash fat 5-year-olds every day and they might get pissed off. It's not hypocritical to say that different causes give different effects.
I didn't explain it very well since I was paraphrasing from that article I read a couple weeks ago. You should read it if you've seen the movie, it was pretty interesting.

Most articles on the topic don't really rail against the main points of the movie, just how they're presented and the fallacies it uses.

« Reply #128 on: April 10, 2014, 03:38:57 AM »
I didn't explain it very well since I was paraphrasing from that article I read a couple weeks ago. You should read it if you've seen the movie, it was pretty interesting.

Most articles on the topic don't really rail against the main points of the movie, just how they're presented and the fallacies it uses.

Yeah I read it. Kind of true in that the film does play the emotion card, and that it does seem to anthropomorphise orcas a little too much. If I was in open water and someone told me orcas were near by I wouldn't go "Wooo they're so friendly" and start slapping the water's surface. Some of the people in that documentary remind me of Timothy Treadwell.

But all those things being said. Seaworld do seem like assholes and orcas really shouldn't be there.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 10, 2014, 03:43:57 AM »
I'm not really an anti-captivity person, but I really don't like any animals being trained to do shows.

Thork

« Reply #130 on: April 10, 2014, 08:30:32 PM »

I love Cyanide & Happiness soooo much! lol.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #131 on: April 10, 2014, 10:04:38 PM »
http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=58795.msg1550210#msg1550210

Okay, Thork.  This isn't the "Post YouTube videos" thread.

« Reply #132 on: April 10, 2014, 10:49:03 PM »
It's not necessarily cruel to keep an animal in captivity or teach it to do tricks.

Dogs are a good example. If I released a pet dog into the wild it would be cruel.

Same goes with any animal that has only known captivity all it's life.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 10, 2014, 10:55:18 PM »
It's not necessarily cruel to keep an animal in captivity or teach it to do tricks.

Dogs are a good example. If I released a pet dog into the wild it would be cruel.

Same goes with any animal that has only known captivity all it's life.
Dogs are not a good example, really. Some animals do better in captivity while others do not. For example, apparently great white sharks are terrible in captivity. Animals that have been domesticated are very different to forcing tigers, lions, elephants, orcas, and dolphins to do tricks.

But for animals that do well in captivity, I see no reason why they shouldn't be- especially if it helps conservationism. There are zoos that really should be shut down though. I've been to some pretty sad and depressing ones that really shouldn't have any animals.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #134 on: April 11, 2014, 02:27:14 AM »
Can we all please just shut the fuck up about the animals already?

Anyway, I have watched The Incredible Hulk.  It was okay, I guess.  It was certainly an improvement over that horrific one Ang Lee gave us back in 2003, the one that had this priceless scene in it:

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: April 11, 2014, 02:29:49 AM »
Can we all please just shut the fuck up about the animals already?

Anyway, I have watched The Incredible Hulk.  It was okay, I guess.  It was certainly an improvement over that horrific one Ang Lee gave us back in 2003, the one that had this priceless scene in it:

Why, Eric Bana? Why did you ever agree to do such a shit fest?

« Reply #136 on: April 11, 2014, 07:10:08 AM »
I never understood why Ang Lee's Hulk was so bad. It was a pretty average movie, besides the Hulk looking kinda shit. But it was ages ago. I didn't think the Edward Norton one was any better. Funnily enough, Ruffalo in the Avengers was easily the best portrayal so far despite the movie not even being about him.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #137 on: April 11, 2014, 01:14:44 PM »
It was overly long, slow, dull, angsty, and sorely lacking in excitement.  The Norton one wasn't great, but at least there they understood that what audiences wanted to see was action, not a deep psychological drama.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 08:37:20 PM by Saddam Hussein »

Ghost of V

« Reply #138 on: April 11, 2014, 04:54:07 PM »
Soo about those animals...

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 12, 2014, 09:06:37 AM »
Watched Brazil again last night. Still a wonderfully weird film.