NOTHING TO SEE HERE. IGNORE RAMA SET.

Re: European polls
« Reply #82 on: May 27, 2014, 08:29:51 PM »
I suppose I should have said this earlier:

The United Kingdom sucks.

Thanks.
Don't be jelly.

I'm jelly of Germany, not the U.K.

Apparently Germany just made higher education free again. In the light of sky high uni fees, that does make me very jelly.

« Reply #83 on: May 27, 2014, 09:06:29 PM »
Their policy of anti-GM crops and vague support for 'alternative' medicine are the only real areas of policy difference between them and I.
Anti-GM is a great policy. GM isn't about improving food. Its about controlling food.

This is true unfortunately. I'm mostly in favour of GM crops but when Monsanto lawyers start kicking over your potatoes its time to readdress the balance. But the Greens do bandy some bullshit around regarding GM foods.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 27, 2014, 09:15:20 PM »
Nuclear power is the future >o<

Nuclear power is, at best, a stop-gap measure while we transition away from fossils and towards sustainable power generation.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 27, 2014, 11:08:15 PM »
Nuclear power is, at best, a stop-gap measure while we transition away from fossils and towards sustainable power generation.
Nuclear power is a perfectly good means of power generation that's sustainable for all intents and purposes. People like the Greens are afraid of it because they think we will literally Chernobyl the entire country, calling the risk "unacceptable" and entirely ignoring the scientific advances of the past 3 decades. Honestly, even UKIP are better in that regard.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Rama Set

« Reply #86 on: May 27, 2014, 11:13:47 PM »
Germany also can generate 40% of their power from solar energy. Everyone should be jelly.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #87 on: May 28, 2014, 01:36:07 AM »
Nuclear power is a perfectly good means of power generation that's sustainable for all intents and purposes. People like the Greens are afraid of it because they think we will literally Chernobyl the entire country, calling the risk "unacceptable" and entirely ignoring the scientific advances of the past 3 decades. Honestly, even UKIP are better in that regard.

Quite true.  People are way too paranoid about nuclear power and its dangers these days.  See the hysterical overreaction to the Fukushima incident for a classic example.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 28, 2014, 03:03:56 AM »
Quite true.  People are way too paranoid about nuclear power and its dangers these days.  See the hysterical overreaction to the Fukushima incident for a classic example.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #89 on: May 28, 2014, 04:21:27 AM »
The Greens over here are exactly the same. It's more or less the only thing I disagree with them on, so I'll take the party with 1 disagreement over 2 parties with many.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 28, 2014, 05:02:40 AM »

At this point governments really give no shits what people think about nuclear power. We've been building them for a while now, half of the people who hate it probably use it when they turn their lights on.

« Reply #91 on: May 28, 2014, 05:23:02 AM »

At this point governments really give no shits what people think about nuclear power. We've been building them for a while now, half of the people who hate it probably use it when they turn their lights on.

We don't have any nuclear power for a number of reasons, and public perception of nuclear being dangerous and dirty is definitely one.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 28, 2014, 07:32:47 AM »
We don't have any nuclear power for a number of reasons, and public perception of nuclear being dangerous and dirty is definitely one.

Wow. I really expected more solar power given that most of Australia is desert.

« Reply #93 on: May 28, 2014, 07:47:15 AM »
Why get power from the sun when we can just burn coal? Stupid American.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 28, 2014, 06:31:43 PM »

Actually, I'm more concerned about being even more in China's pocket seeing as they have virtually monopolised the market in Uranium from Australia and Africa. I'm hardly worried about nuclear safety, I visited Chernobyl on holiday last year.

« Reply #95 on: May 28, 2014, 08:14:50 PM »

Actually, I'm more concerned about being even more in China's pocket seeing as they have virtually monopolised the market in Uranium from Australia and Africa. I'm hardly worried about nuclear safety, I visited Chernobyl on holiday last year.

Why would you be in China's pocket? Australia has huge uranium deposits and is still close to Britain.

« Reply #96 on: May 28, 2014, 08:56:22 PM »
Their policy of anti-GM crops and vague support for 'alternative' medicine are the only real areas of policy difference between them and I.
Anti-GM is a great policy. GM isn't about improving food. Its about controlling food.

This is true unfortunately. I'm mostly in favour of GM crops but when Monsanto lawyers start kicking over your potatoes its time to readdress the balance. But the Greens do bandy some bullshit around regarding GM foods.

Monsanto doesn't go around kicking over potaotoes. There are literally no cases they've persued where a reasonable person wouldn't side with Monsanto.
Quote from: Saddam Hussein
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

« Reply #97 on: May 28, 2014, 09:56:52 PM »
Monsanto doesn't go around kicking over potaotoes. There are literally no cases they've persued where a reasonable person wouldn't side with Monsanto.

Obvious troll is ibvous.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 28, 2014, 10:07:23 PM »

Obvious troll is ibvous.

Not really. Most of the people who dislike Monsanto are conspiracy theorists or city-dwellers that have no idea how or why they do what they do. I've never heard a reasonable explanation of hating Monsanto other than people who don't trust corporations in general, which I can understand. The anti-GMO crowd, though, are laughably ignorant.

« Reply #99 on: May 28, 2014, 10:37:05 PM »
Most of the people who dislike Monsanto are conspiracy theorists or city-dwellers that have no idea how or why they do what they do. I've never heard a reasonable explanation of hating Monsanto other than people who don't trust corporations in general, which I can understand. The anti-GMO crowd, though, are laughably ignorant.

"By its own admission Monsanto views its patented GM seeds similarly to the way the software industry views its proprietary technology."

http://modernfarmer.com/2014/03/monsantos-good-bad-pr-problem/

That's the heart of the problem. That and the truck load of lawyers.