Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Just Watched
« Reply #300 on: May 02, 2014, 07:07:26 AM »
I guess they figured out that anything they ever churned out would turn in a profit, so maybe they're testing that with this.

Ghost of V

« Reply #301 on: May 02, 2014, 08:00:39 AM »
I guess they figured out that anything they ever churned out would turn in a profit, so maybe they're testing that with this.

This could either lead to great things or just awful awful terrible things.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: May 02, 2014, 11:41:19 AM »

This could either lead to great things or just awful awful terrible things.

Well, we already have the awful awful terrible things.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #303 on: May 02, 2014, 12:05:27 PM »
I'm more curious to see how parks and rec guy does.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: May 02, 2014, 12:06:02 PM »
They weren't worried about being true to the comics when they turned the Mandarin into a joke!  Anyway, they should have at least toned it down a little.  It just didn't fit the sci-fi setting to have all that silly fire-breathing and whatnot.

Yet...you were disappointed they didn't actually have the ridiculous character with ten super-magical-powers rings? I was delighted by the twist because a) the Mandarin is stupid, and b) they would've had to pull some really dumb strings to make him realistic or "sci-fi" at all.

Also, I'm looking forward to Guardians of the Galaxy because the Guardians of the Galaxy are awesome
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #305 on: May 02, 2014, 12:37:57 PM »
Also, I'm looking forward to Guardians of the Galaxy because the Guardians of the Galaxy are awesome
It's not a popular comic, so it can't be good! >o<
The Mastery.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #306 on: May 02, 2014, 12:45:59 PM »
Yet...you were disappointed they didn't actually have the ridiculous character with ten super-magical-powers rings? I was delighted by the twist because a) the Mandarin is stupid, and b) they would've had to pull some really dumb strings to make him realistic or "sci-fi" at all.

It's less the faithfulness to the comics that concerns me and more if what goes into the movie is interesting in its own right.  Ben Kingsley as a terrorist leader was interesting.  Guy Pearce as the same generic corporate douchebag that we've seen a million times before (including in the previous two films) was not.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #307 on: May 02, 2014, 01:06:00 PM »
Guy Pearce is never interesting.
The Mastery.

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: May 02, 2014, 01:18:27 PM »
Pearce was good in L.A. Confidential, probably the best performance in the whole film, in fact.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #309 on: May 02, 2014, 01:37:03 PM »
No actor could have made such a generic villain interesting.

Rama Set

« Reply #310 on: May 02, 2014, 04:41:56 PM »
No actor could have made such a generic villain interesting.

Daniel Day Lewis could. Prove me wrong.

Ghost of V

« Reply #311 on: May 02, 2014, 04:45:44 PM »
They weren't worried about being true to the comics when they turned the Mandarin into a joke!  Anyway, they should have at least toned it down a little.  It just didn't fit the sci-fi setting to have all that silly fire-breathing and whatnot.

I'm aware of the Iron Man 3 plot, but how was the movie advertised? Did it tease a "real" Mandarin just to reveal that he's fake when you watch the movie, or was this known from the start?

The whole situation kind of reminds me of Metal Gear Solid 2's release, how everyone thought that Solid Snake was the playable character but it turned out to be a different guy.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #312 on: May 02, 2014, 05:17:10 PM »
Kingsley was very heavily hyped as being the Mandarin.  Someone link a trailer, I'm on my phone.

Rama Set

« Reply #313 on: May 02, 2014, 06:27:16 PM »

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #314 on: May 02, 2014, 07:23:51 PM »
Okay, now that's one not just misleading, it's downright dishonest.  He never said half of that shit in the movie.

Ghost of V

« Reply #315 on: May 02, 2014, 07:27:03 PM »
Good ol' bait 'n switch.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 07:32:09 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline Onix

• View Profile
« Reply #316 on: May 02, 2014, 07:37:22 PM »
Rocket Raccoon is a playable character in Marvel vs. Capcom 3.  The only game he's ever been in... Guardians or the Galaxy is announced a year or so afterwards. Coincidence?

Am I excited? Hell no. 90% of Marvel films are trash. I don't expect that to change anytime soon.

I think it is a coincidence. Now his inclusion in MvC3 definitely didn't keep him from the big screen, but I doubt it influenced it. Raccoon is (probably, I dont read comics) a recognizable and somewhat-famous Marvel character. Which is why he was probably put in MvC3. But I would think the real reason is that comic movies are huge now. Probably one of the biggest trends in movies in the past 15 years. Pretty much since X-Men. But they're running out of characters. They're making a god damn Antman movie for crying out loud. So its not surprising at all that RR is in a movie.

On another note, I had no idea about this movie. I'm really interested in them putting Chris Pratt as the lead. From the trailer...he still seems just like Andy from PnR. Who's he playing? Comic fans, does he seem like a good fit?

Ghost of V

« Reply #317 on: May 02, 2014, 07:51:17 PM »
Raccoon is (probably, I dont read comics) a recognizable and somewhat-famous Marvel character.

He's not popular, he's actually very obscure... Not many know of his existence, outside hardcore marvel fans of course. That's why people are concerned, because Guardians of the Galaxy is relatively unknown. Damn, Rocket Racoon was introduced as a main character in the comics only in 2008 (although he's been around since 76, but as a minor nobody character), so that didn't leave much time for people to discover him and his team either.

Offline Onix

• View Profile
« Reply #318 on: May 02, 2014, 08:01:00 PM »
Raccoon is (probably, I dont read comics) a recognizable and somewhat-famous Marvel character.

He's not popular, he's actually very obscure... Not many know of his existence, outside hardcore marvel fans of course. That's why people are concerned, because Guardians of the Galaxy is relatively unknown. Damn, Rocket Racoon was introduced as a main character in the comics only in 2008 (although he's been around since 76, but as a minor nobody character), so that didn't leave much time for people to discover him and his team either.

I just don't think some Hollywood bigwigs were like...Rocket Raccoon is in this fighting game, lets put him in a movie. I feel like if that were the case we would've seen a Nova movie or Hawkeye or something like that before Rocket Raccoon.

I could be wrong, I dunno, lol.

Ghost of V

« Reply #319 on: May 02, 2014, 08:12:37 PM »

I just don't think some Hollywood bigwigs were like...Rocket Raccoon is in this fighting game, lets put him in a movie. I feel like if that were the case we would've seen a Nova movie or Hawkeye or something like that before Rocket Raccoon.

I could be wrong, I dunno, lol.

No, I know. I was just messing around. It's just a weird coincidence. I think they did it mostly because, like I said, Rocket Raccoon was introduced as a somewhat main character in his own series in 2008, and MvC3 came out about the same time so they just threw him in there for lulz or whatever. Keep in mind, Marvel does control part of the Marvel Vs. Capcom series, it's not all just Capcom. They probably had the Guardians of the Galaxy movie in the works before MvC3 was released, and Marvel themselves decided to put him in MvC3 just to raise awareness. This is all speculation, of course.