kasai

Re: Flat Earth Math, and what you should see, shall the Earth be round
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2018, 07:10:54 PM »
Pretty sure kasai and parallax are alts, possibly the same person as Treep, who I had suspected was SexPlanet. Not super important

I did notice that Treep Ravisaras is an anagram of "as Pete Svarriar"
Which is a misspelling of Pete's surname, but close enough to make me think it's not a coincidence...
Oh yeah lol I forgot to comment on that, I'm not an alt, I found the flat earth society when researching about flat earth. Parallax is a pseudonym of Rowbotham, which shows you Parallax is just a really close follower of Rowbotham, which btw the dude is dead. My name is Japanese for fire, I think. But yeah, I'm not an alt, but you're probably not gonna believe that, so it's whatever.

« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2018, 08:18:49 PM »
Can you please retract your false statements about there being no midnight sun in the southern hemisphere? You referred to both Cook and the Belgian Antarctic Expedition, and I linked you to first hand accounts from both expeditions demonstrating observations of midnight sun.

« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2018, 09:36:06 AM »
Isn't this math just following a y=x^2 rule. This will assume that the world takes on more of U shape than an O shape. If you're doing the curvature of the earth, assuming it is round, it would better to follow a (y-h)^2+(x-k)^2=r^2 rule. This will account for the circular nature of the earth rather than a parabolic model. Therefore, the curvature of the earth will come out to be (y-h)^2=r^2-(x-k)^2 and the rate of curvature will be approximately dy/dx=-x/y, I haven't actually put in the numbers and have no stance whatsoever. I'm not a professional at this stuff though I'm just a dumb mechatronics engineer so my mathematical skills are more CENTRED around programing (pun intended :D)

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2018, 03:46:26 PM »
Dr Rowbotham proved that the earth is a flat plane with the Bedford level experiment. He also explained why ships hulls disappear before the mast.
More recently we have proved the earth is round.

And by actual Doctors, no less!

Exactly, Rowbotham was no doctor but was a known con man.
Do you have a citation for this sweeping generalisation?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2018, 04:41:36 PM »
Dr Rowbotham proved that the earth is a flat plane with the Bedford level experiment. He also explained why ships hulls disappear before the mast.

This is false. Rowbotham held an MD and conducted himself honestly.

« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2018, 05:08:49 PM »

There is zero evidence he held an actual degree or PhD. In fact:

1. The UK at the time did not offer the PhD at any of its Universities.
2. There is no record that he attended the University of Edinburgh during the years in which he was alive.
3. Only the Universities in Germany and in the United States did offer the PhD, and there is no evidence that Parallax ever left the UK at any point in his life.
4. There is no evidence that he ever received an MD from any institution granting that degree.
5a. This is NOT to say that he didn't have knowledge of Medicine. It is very possible that he did. In those days, many medical professionals obtained their experience through doing, and appended the term "MD" to their names informally.
5b. In further explanation of 5a above, it should be noted that Medicine, Barbering, and Dentistry were all considered one profession at this time. The Barber's Pole that you see today is Red for Medicine, Blue for Dentistry, and White for Barbering. When the professions went from one to three, the Barbers kept the pole. Rowbotham worked at a time when he would have pulled a tooth at one appointment, cut hair the next hour, and performed minor surgery the following.

Unless you have evidence beyond a gravestone, or letters appended to his name under patents, that he actually held such a degree, the only conclusion is that he was lying. This is not the behavior of a man who conducts them self honestly.

Devils Advocate

« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2018, 07:24:59 PM »
And let's Remember that in Rowbothams day medicine was far less advanced than today. Before bacteria or viruses were known for example. And Tom- Conning people into questioning the accepted shape of the earth to flog a few bogus books is not conducting oneself honestly is it?!

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2018, 09:49:28 PM »

2. There is no record that he attended the University of Edinburgh during the years in which he was alive.
3. Only the Universities in Germany and in the United States did offer the PhD, and there is no evidence that Parallax ever left the UK at any point in his life.
4. There is no evidence that he ever received an MD from any institution granting that degree.
5a. This is NOT to say that he didn't have knowledge of Medicine. It is very possible that he did. In those days, many medical professionals obtained their experience through doing, and appended the term "MD" to their names informally.
5b. In further explanation of 5a above, it should be noted that Medicine, Barbering, and Dentistry were all considered one profession at this time. The Barber's Pole that you see today is Red for Medicine, Blue for Dentistry, and White for Barbering. When the professions went from one to three, the Barbers kept the pole. Rowbotham worked at a time when he would have pulled a tooth at one appointment, cut hair the next hour, and performed minor surgery the following.

Unless you have evidence beyond a gravestone, or letters appended to his name under patents, that he actually held such a degree, the only conclusion is that he was lying. This is not the behavior of a man who conducts them self honestly.

There are records of his contemporaries referring to him as a doctor. It is pretty absurd to claim that he fraudulently practiced medicine for decades without detection.

See this old thread on the topic: https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php%3Ftopic%3D61409.0+&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-b

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2018, 09:57:59 PM »
That link is giving me a 404.
Compelling evidence as always.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2018, 12:18:45 AM »

There are records of his contemporaries referring to him as a doctor. It is pretty absurd to claim that he fraudulently practiced medicine for decades without detection.

See this old thread on the topic: https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php%3Ftopic%3D61409.0+&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-b
As noted, adding MD to your name in that period was not uncommon even if one did not have a degree. Medicine was frequently done without formal education. Where are the records of him actually getting a degree though? Do you have any or not? Not something that should be difficult to acquire, but I have found no records of such.

As well I'm also getting a 404 from your link.

Offline Tontogary

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2018, 01:07:25 AM »

Again just your claim. The burden of proof is upon you. Please supply.

Also, if you haven't heard of bronies before, that reflects poorly on your understanding of the world that surrounds you. It's practically impossible not to know about them.

Offline Tontogary

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2018, 01:15:40 AM »
So the ship disappeared from the naked eye but then was made visible again with a telescope, OK that's how telescopes work however......
This only works over relatively short distances doesn't it?
My telescope can see the moon which is either 3,000 or some 240,000 ish miles away, importantly we all agree it is not less than 3,000 miles away so why can I not see the beaches of France with it from the UK? Why can I not view the ferry all the way across the channel?
I think the curve of the globe prevents it, can anyone offer other reasons?
You can though, they have telescope's at Dover and Normandy so you can see across. And even see any ferry's.

Extreme distance tables from Norris’s nautical tables gives the following;

with the observers hieght of 361 feet that the top of an object 3 feet high can be seen at 24.1 miles. Dover to Calais is 23 miles, therefore you can see pretty much everything that is more than a foot or so high. (That includes Ferries!) you can see the ferries with you own eyes as well as telescopes.

Also, if you haven't heard of bronies before, that reflects poorly on your understanding of the world that surrounds you. It's practically impossible not to know about them.

Offline Parallax

• Disciple of Dr Rowbotham
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 07, 2018, 11:44:38 PM »

What you said about the barbers pole... You would be right, if Dr Rowbotham lived in the middle ages. What you mentioned was only in medieval times, not Victorian. The quacks then we're not barbers.

1 and 2 don't make sense... You are aware Edinburgh is in Britain, right?

And how do you know he never left Britain? You found his passport did you?

You have no evidence that he wasn't an educated doctor. His followers even referenced him as Dr Rowbotham in their books, and they knew him. If he was fraudulently claiming he was a doctor, someone would have found out about it, but they didn't. I know you guys dislike Dr Rowbotham but you can't find anything on him so therefore it must be true he was a fraud, despite living in an era where plenty of documents have been lost since it was all written on paper. The only ones we have now are those that have been archived.

Offline xenotolerance

• byeeeeeee
    • View Profile
    • flat Earth visualization
« Reply #74 on: April 08, 2018, 01:28:18 AM »
This thread from the other site is relevant, and features our very own Tommy B in a mid-career cameo. See also, this one.

read the evidence presented for yourself. my take is, don't trust snake oil advertisements as primary sources, especially when actual primary sources exist

I will add, my take is also, who cares, the dude sucked

Offline Tontogary

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 08, 2018, 02:36:56 AM »
Parallax, you are asking someone to prove a negative, which i have been told one should not expect.

Please supply proof that Rowbotham had gained a doctorate.

You are correct, Edinburgh is in Great Britain, and is also a part of the UK. And as such no PHDs were awarded until the 20th century.

https://www.vitae.ac.uk/vitae-publications/blogs/history-of-phd.pdf/@@download/file/History%20of%20PhD.pdf

He might have travelled outside of the UK, but if he did in fact actually obtain a doctorate, do you not think he would have proclaimed this very loud to try to give credence to his arguments? It has been said that he was very forcefull, often “steamrollering” and even bullying his opponents. A person with a Doctorate would have used that information to back up his claims.

If he was a medical doctor, how in any way does that qualify him to look at the physics that he claimed to have disproved?

« Reply #76 on: April 08, 2018, 02:46:51 AM »
Parallax, you are asking someone to prove a negative, which i have been told one should not expect.

You are correct, Edinburgh is in Great Britain, and is also a part of the UK. And as such no PHDs were awarded until the 20th century.

https://www.vitae.ac.uk/vitae-publications/blogs/history-of-phd.pdf/@@download/file/History%20of%20PhD.pdf

He might have travelled outside of the UK, but if he did in fact actually obtain a doctorate, do you not think he would have proclaimed this very loud to try to give credence to his arguments? It has been said that he was very forcefull, often “steamrollering” and even bullying his opponents. A person with a Doctorate would have used that information to back up his claims.

If he was a medical doctor, how in any way does that qualify him to look at the physics that he claimed to have disproved?
I would add on to this, there has been no presented evidence he ever left the UK. The two locations that offered PhD's (Germany and the US) have no records of someone by his name entering them during the time period he was most likely to have visited. As well feel free to peruse this thread as well https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=62919.0

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 08, 2018, 05:29:59 AM »

I would add on to this, there has been no presented evidence he ever left the UK. The two locations that offered PhD's (Germany and the US) have no records of someone by his name entering them during the time period he was most likely to have visited. As well feel free to peruse this thread as well https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=62919.0

Read through that thread. When Ski contacted Rowbotham's university they said that without his dates of attendance or major it would be unfeasible to look through the records because of lack of manpower.

When the university was contacted again there was a woman who claimed to have looked at the records in the same day and proclaimed that there were no records. She did not reply to later queries on whether she was looking at the limited online digitized records, or was going through the archive Ski was told was not feasible to go though without more specific information.

There are numerous references to Rowbotham being a doctor. To claim that he is not a doctor is pretty absurd.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 05:47:03 AM by Tom Bishop »

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 08, 2018, 07:09:06 AM »
There are numerous references to Rowbotham CLAIMING to be a doctor. That isn’t quite the same thing.
Fun fact: Dr. Dre doesn’t have a PHd either.
I don’t know or care whether Rowbotham really had one, but he was clearly a conman, seems quite plausible that he would like about this to give some authority to his crazy claims.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Tontogary

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 08, 2018, 07:09:55 AM »

Read through that thread. When Ski contacted Rowbotham's university they said that without his dates of attendance or major it would be unfeasible to look through the records because of lack of manpower.

When the university was contacted again there was a woman who claimed to have looked at the records in the same day and proclaimed that there were no records. She did not reply to later queries on whether she was looking at the limited online digitized records, or was going through the archive Ski was told was not feasible to go though without more specific information.

There are numerous references to Rowbotham being a doctor. To claim that he is not a doctor is pretty absurd.

So the gist of your second hand knowledge is this, The search was done too quick?

To prove a negative, as you have told me before is absurd.

I would hope you have proof that he was a doctor? This is relevant, as I am reading the EnaG at present. Nowhere in the title pages or preface is there a mention of the studies being carried out by a doctor, and i see quickly there are many many mistakes in his reasoning and his Assumptions. A real doctor would not make so many obvious assumptions and glaring errors