Offline 3DGeek

• Path of photon from sun location to eye at sunset?
    • View Profile
    • What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset
Re: Antarctic 24-hour sun cycle
« Reply #100 on: September 12, 2017, 12:56:15 PM »
Funny how you are able to write plenty of off topic paragraphs proclaiming yourself to be so superior and correct but that you are unable to meet the simple challenge presented and link to the data showing information which is claimed to exist in favor of your model.

You asked:

So there are no reports or sources whatsoever to affirm the predictions the Round Earth model makes and we have to do it ourselves? This strong model of yours seems like it should have something more than zero evidence for these sun predictions. We are told that there are MOUNTAINS of evidence. Why not simply go onto google and bring it here for us?

Yes, there are reports and sources - but you have to follow an appropriate chain of reasoning.   The steps are as follows:

STEP 1: Prove (with reports and sources) that the Earth is round.   We can do that in many ways - let's just pick a few: The motion of the stars is only consistent with a round earth.  The phases and appearance of the moon from widespread places is only consistent with a round earth.  We have photos from space of a round earth.  That there are two tides per day is only consistent with a round earth.  Airline flight times are only consistent with a round earth.  The fact of sunsets and sunrises is only consistent with a round earth.  That the clouds are illuminated from BELOW at sunset is only consistent with a round earth.  We have SOLID evidence for every single one of those claims.  You have completely failed to disprove a single one of them.

STEP 2: Prove (with reports and sources) what the size of this round Earth is.   We can do this in many ways too - let's just go with the Eratosthenes sticks-and-shadows approach, but there are many others.

STEP 3: Use this knowledge to set up a mathematical model to predict sunrise and sunset times at any point on the surface of the Earth.

STEP 4: Put the model up on a website that gives you a way to use this mathematical model to produce the data you need.

The point is that you're not going to find a website (or a book or a dust old parchment) that has a scientist measuring the sunrise and sunset times - nobody needs to do that because we have concrete proof (see may MANY "Disproof" discussions here) that the Earth is round - and all of the deductions that follow from that turn out to match reality so well that there is no longer any doubt in the minds of roughly 99.9999% of people that it is true.

The original evidence that you seek is the way all of science works.   In the words of Sir Isaac Newton: "If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants".

We investigate something ("Is the Earth Round or Flat?") and having found the answer and demonstrated it comprehensively - we may stand on the shoulder of that giant to calculate it's size.   When that number is demonstrated (with evidence and multiple re-tests of that evidence) - we have a yet larger giant shoulder to stand on.

At every step, we test and re-test our findings against reality.

Does the idea that the Earth is round, that it rotates once a day and orbits the sun every 366.2525 days FIT what we can clearly see in terms of phases of the moon?   Does it match what we see about the seasons?   Does it correctly predict solar and lunar eclipses?   Does it explain the tides?   Does it allow us to orbit the earth?   Do photos we take from out in space match what we see?

When you pile enough evidence onto a theory, it becomes accepted mainstream proof.   Now we may build mathematical models of it with increasing confidence that they match reality.

As we use those models (so, for example "TimeAndData.com" is used by millions of people each day) - do we find that it still matches reality?   Yes, it does!

If there were a mistake in a website as well-visited as TimeAndDate.com - it would be noticed by a VAST number of people - that problem would be reported - and it would get fixed in short order.

Websites that make predictions that don't work (and I'm thinking of tfes.org here!) are NOT well visited, and many, many people (such as myself) complain that the predictions made by them do not fit reality.

At that point - it's incumbent on the claimant (you) to either fix the errors - or you explain why they aren't errors.

And that's something you're failing MISERABLY at doing.

I'm putting up proof after proof of the round earth and you are neither successfully convincing ANYONE that I'm wrong - or quietly ignoring them because you're not smart enough to come up with an answer - or there isn't an answer because you're wrong, but just too pig-headed to admit it.

Look - I understand - you've made it a huge part of your life that you're a believer in the Flat Earth - and you see legions (in your mind at least) of followers who look up to you as their leader.   You can't admit defeat because that leaves you with a gigantic hole in your life.   Without flat-earthism - what are you?

Yes - I get that...it's not a comfortable position to be in.

But yet it IS where you're at right now.

If you REALLY want to make a big name for yourself - be the Flat Earth leader who becomes a Round Earth convert and leads all of his former followers to the truth.
Hey Tom:  What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset?

Re: Antarctic 24-hour sun cycle
« Reply #101 on: September 12, 2017, 01:05:15 PM »
Funny how you are able to write plenty of off topic paragraphs proclaiming yourself to be so superior and correct but that you are unable to meet the simple challenge presented and link to the data showing information which is claimed to exist in favor of your model.
Funny how I can show you this is a standard assignment for entry level astronomy in college, but there's no forums filled with college kids talking about how wrong sites like timeanddate are with these sunrise and sunset times. Once again, I've given you the equation created to calculate sunrise/set times on a round Earth. Show that it doesn't actually fit for a round Earth or that timeanddate is no longer following it (thereby showing it's been influenced in some manner) and you've got a real case. At present you're asking for proof of something science settled long ago, and that stuff just doesn't exist online other than perhaps in paid digital libraries.

This, as 3DGeek sort of mentioned and I did in another thread, appears to be a major failing with this 'Zeteticism'. This apparent inability to trust those who have come before you. Oh, unless they support your worldview of course. Then they're practically infallible. Not sure how 'Zetetic' that is though. But to be honest, you seem to be trying to 'reinvent the wheel' as it were, and I can't figure out why.