Offline It’s round

• Round earth
    • View Profile
Rules
« on: December 13, 2018, 06:16:20 PM »
      When I first got banned, the first thing I did after I got unbanned was to look at the rules of the forum. I got banned for “low-content posting”. When I checked the rules, it talked about “no personal attacks outside of Angry Ranting/ Complete Nonsense.” But, it didn’t have anything about low-content posting, which is what most people get banned for. I suggest you add another section about low-content posting so people wil not get banned as often and if they do, they’ll know what it is that they got banned for. I’d also love to see little moderator notes that they could put when you get banned, so you can see their reasons and comments on your ban, they could also use it as a suggestion tool as well.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 07:22:56 PM by It’s round »
I only kill round earthers.

Oh no

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Rules
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 07:54:24 PM »
When I first got banned, the first thing I did after I got unbanned was to look at the rules of the forum.                                                   
Yeah, you probably should have read the rules prior to being banned (and prior to posting).

I got banned for “low-content posting”. When I checked the rules, it talked about “no personal attacks outside of Angry Ranting/ Complete Nonsense.” But, it didn’t have anything about low-content posting, which is what most people get banned for. I suggest you add another section about low-content posting so people wil not get banned as often and if they do, they’ll know what it is that they got banned for.                                                         
Low-content usually encompasses R3 and R5 (R6 to a degree as well). It isn't like you just get banned for a single rule violation. You get multiple warnings and are expected to read the rules and forum descriptions and learn how this place works. You were warned in the thread, and were also sent PMs about your posts that were violating the rules each time a warning was given. You went right back to it after a 3-day ban, so you were given a 7-day ban.

I’d also love to see little moderator notes that they could put when you get banned, so you can see their reasons and comments on your ban, they could also use it as a suggestion tool as well.
The banlist is public, and anyone can see the reason for a ban.

Offline It’s round

• Round earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 08:08:09 PM »
You can’t see it when you’re banned though.

Oh no

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 08:10:12 PM »
You can’t see it when you’re banned though.

I would suggest not getting banned, then.

Offline It’s round

• Round earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 08:14:10 PM »
All I’m saying is that you should have a little blurb on low-content posting.

Oh no

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 08:34:50 PM »
All I’m saying is that you should have a little blurb on low-content posting.
We already do. It's rule 5. If you want to shitpost, you can do so in Complete Nonsense and Angry Ranting.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Max_Almond

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2018, 08:05:42 AM »
How about beginning to apply Rule 6?

6. Avoid including material which does not contribute to the point you are making

This is a fairly vague rule, and as such, it will not be strictly enforced on a per-post basis. Rather, members who repeatedly make posts with a large amount of extraneous material will be asked to stop, and if they fail to do so, given a warning. After no less than three warnings for this offence, members may be restricted from posting in certain fora in order to prevent their verbosity from cluttering up debate threads.

I don't mind big long wild posts too much, 'cos I just skip past them - but they do tend to clutter, and also make the poster seem a little loopy.

Also, is it good for the poster to allow that sort of thing? Encouraging members to hone their techniques seems like it might benefit them. Plus, there'll be more chance of people actually reading the words, and trying to understand them. Whereas word salads and gish gallops and "verbose posts made up of large amounts of extraneous material" seem a bit counterproductive, not just for the forum, but for the actual poster too.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2018, 12:49:15 PM »
How about beginning to apply Rule 6?
Okay, so you're still trying to come up with a way to make sandokhan look bad, and it's still not working. I'm sorry that you disagree, but his posts are absolutely chock-full of content. You're under no obligation to put in the time to read and understand them, but that won't change the reality of the matter.

Rule 6 is already being applied, just not to overtly suppress posters you personally dislike.

Max_Almond

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2018, 01:01:09 PM »
Okay, so you're still trying to come up with a way to make sandokhan look bad.

Hey, I only said "big long word salad gish gallop posts tend to make the commenter look loopy" - but I didn't mention any names.

Why would you read the above and immediately think of Sandokhan? ;)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 01:11:04 PM by Max_Almond »

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2018, 01:04:37 PM »
Hey, I only said "big long word salad gish gallop posts tend to make the commenter look loopy" - but I didn't mention any names.

Why would you read the above and immediately think of Sandokhan? ;)
No, Max, shitposting in S&C is not a good idea. Have one more warning before I give up on you. Keep your Wendy's-style clapdowns confined within AR.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 01:06:37 PM by Pete Svarrior »