Offline AATW

• View Profile
Re: The Queen
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2022, 09:47:11 AM »
I thought this was obvious from the subtext but I was mocking the monarchy not because of any problem with that form of a government.  I was mocking it because it makes me think that England is a land besot with wizards and knights who say "ni" and all manner of arthurian legend.
And why is that a problem?
We've been like that for a millennium. It's going fine, thanks.
I mean...it isn't going fine, our government is a car crash and things are going to shit. But that's not because of the monarchy, it's actually because of the people we have elected, not because of the people we don't.
Seems to me that it's democracy causing the problems.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2022, 10:10:30 AM »
By the way, watched Last Week Tonight by John Oliver. There was a jarring edit, clearly they'd cut something about the Queen out. Found it on YouTube. It was nothing that bad, the good people at Sky obviously think we're sensitive little souls.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2022, 01:20:24 PM »
I was perfectly content to discuss England's dragon problem but you had to take a far more farcical turn, that a monarchy is more democratic than a democracy, which I was happy to oblige for a time.
You continue to use those words as though they are contradictory. They are not. We are not comparing a monarchy to a democracy, but two different forms of democracy, and until you acknowledge that it makes perfect sense that you would not understand what I am saying.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2022, 02:00:05 PM »
In solidarity of the Queen's passing the NHS has canceled thousands of surgeries and doctor's appointments that people have waited months to get.

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/nhs-cancels-cancer-appointments-queen-elizabeth-funeral-bank-holiday/

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2022, 02:13:45 PM »
It's what she would have wanted.

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2022, 02:35:33 PM »
In solidarity of the Queen's passing the NHS has canceled thousands of surgeries and doctor's appointments that people have waited months to get.

What happened on the day of (say) JFK's funeral? Did the USA proceed as normal, or were many things cancelled?
=============================
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.
=============================

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

Rama Set

« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2022, 04:59:17 PM »

What happened on the day of (say) JFK's funeral? Did the USA proceed as normal, or were many things cancelled?

Who cares?  It's 50 years since then.

Offline crutonius

• Just a regular guy. No funny business here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2022, 05:46:55 AM »
I thought this was obvious from the subtext but I was mocking the monarchy not because of any problem with that form of a government.  I was mocking it because it makes me think that England is a land besot with wizards and knights who say "ni" and all manner of arthurian legend.
And why is that a problem?
We've been like that for a millennium. It's going fine, thanks.
I mean...it isn't going fine, our government is a car crash and things are going to shit. But that's not because of the monarchy, it's actually because of the people we have elected, not because of the people we don't.
Seems to me that it's democracy causing the problems.

No problem whatsoever.  I like dragons and arthurian legends.

Ask your new King to appoint your government then.  I'm sure that would go swimmingly.

Offline crutonius

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2022, 06:08:59 AM »
I was perfectly content to discuss England's dragon problem but you had to take a far more farcical turn, that a monarchy is more democratic than a democracy, which I was happy to oblige for a time.
You continue to use those words as though they are contradictory. They are not. We are not comparing a monarchy to a democracy, but two different forms of democracy, and until you acknowledge that it makes perfect sense that you would not understand what I am saying.

Bro, I own a dictionary.  Let me know when Prince Charles wins the elections.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2022, 09:20:04 AM »
Once again, you are focusing on the monarch (an individual) and not the monarchy (a system of government). You are not listening to what I am saying, and instead replacing the subject of my posts with something else.

Offline crutonius

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2022, 06:36:05 AM »
Once again, you are focusing on the monarch (an individual) and not the monarchy (a system of government). You are not listening to what I am saying, and instead replacing the subject of my posts with something else.

Ah okay.  I see how I was confused with.  My mistake.  I feel very silly getting it wrong.

So instead of me asking when Prince Charles wins an election, let me know when the UK has a head of the monarchy which was elected by the people.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2022, 06:48:56 AM »
Went up to see the flowers and that.
4 stars. Would grieve again.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2022, 09:21:35 AM »
So instead of me asking when Prince Charles wins an election, let me know when the UK has a head of the monarchy which was elected by the people.
Referring to the same individual with different words is not a fundamentally different response.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2022, 10:27:29 PM »
Bro, I own a dictionary.
Then use it to look up "elective monarchy".
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline crutonius

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2022, 05:49:40 AM »
Bro, I own a dictionary.

Holing on.  I'm looking. It up.

The first few hits just showed the definition of 'contradiction'.

Went to wiktionary. I see one exmale about 1400 years ago.  I assume this had something to do with a dragon and a lady of the lake.

Offline crutonius

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2022, 05:56:43 AM »
Referring to the same individual with different words is not a fundamentally different response.

Then I believe this conversion has unfortunately run its course.

I believe that words have meaning so when I describe something as "democratic" it means someone voted for it.

You whoever seem to believe in "opposite day"  That a leader who governors with the will of the people is a tyrant.  And that a leader who has inherited his  title without any input of the people he rules is in fact more democratic than someone you would have to vote for.

This is an interesting way to assess things.  It's not without it's merits.  I have a 6 year old daughter who I will know doubt fine the mental exercise very simulating.  My son might see through it and think that it's a bit silly.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2022, 10:42:17 AM »
They've paused entry to the queue to see the Queen lying in state as it filled up!
Wait was around 9 hours when I last checked.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2022, 12:25:47 PM »
You whoever seem to believe in "opposite day"  That a leader who governors with the will of the people is a tyrant.  And that a leader who has inherited his  title without any input of the people he rules is in fact more democratic than someone you would have to vote for.
The reason you think that is because, instead of reading what I have said several times by now, you continue to erroneously interpret my statements as applying to the monarch as an individual rather than the government as a whole. I am not sure what else I can do to progress the conversation if what I have already said is not being read or understood.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2022, 04:32:47 PM »
They have now re-opened the queue and are saying it'll likely be a wait of more than 24 hours.

I...think I'll pass.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2022, 09:22:14 PM »
Bro, I own a dictionary.

Holing on.  I'm looking. It up.

The first few hits just showed the definition of 'contradiction'.
That's odd.  Perhaps your internet is broken because when I looked it up, this was my first hit:
"An elective monarchy is a monarchy ruled by an elected monarch, in contrast to a hereditary monarchy in which the office is automatically passed down as a family inheritance. The manner of election, the nature of candidate qualifications, and the electors vary from case to case."

Went to wiktionary. I see one exmale about 1400 years ago.  I assume this had something to do with a dragon and a lady of the lake.
Interesting.  I went to Wikipedia and found a fairly long list of examples, none which mentioned dragons or lakes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elective_monarchy#Historical_examples
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.