Offline Parallax

• Disciple of Dr Rowbotham
    • View Profile
Re: On a globe Earth the horizon should not curve
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2018, 03:46:33 PM »
Oh well if Google says so it must be true.

Dr Rowbotham already said it drops only a foot. That's it. End of.

Morgenstund

« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2018, 05:04:31 PM »
Nope, I figured it out all by myself, and you could too if you had the guts.

Called it! Here is what I wrote earlier: "And am I right when I assume that you have no intention whatsoever of addressing my original topic, the expected straight horizon? Am I right when I assume that you have dug in, and it's going to be 'the Nile drops one foot' from here on out?"
In another post you wrote that Rowbotham should be honored and respected and that he was a visionary scientist ahead of his time and so on. That's how I spell 'guru'.

This 'FE movement' bears all the hallmarks of a cult. The old, visionary leader, the 2-3 bumper sticker slogans and the unwillingness to even consider the counter arguments presented... This has nothing whatsoever to do with the shape of the Earth, it's all about being in a community, where the faithful believers are special and argue contrary to what 99.9999999% of the rational beings on Earth know is true. You are the chosen ones, the few who see the real truth, you fight oppression and ridicule, but together you stand strong, and nothing, nothing at all, will ever be allowed to convince you that you are wrong.

PS: Rowbotham was not a doctor by any stretch of the imagination. If you disagree, please tell me where he got his degree.

I know... 'The Nile drops one foot and Professor Doctor Rowbotham, PhD spake the Truth, the whole Truth and nothing but the Truth. Amen!!!'

Offline Parallax

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2018, 05:24:47 PM »

Called it! Here is what I wrote earlier: "And am I right when I assume that you have no intention whatsoever of addressing my original topic, the expected straight horizon? Am I right when I assume that you have dug in, and it's going to be 'the Nile drops one foot' from here on out?"
In another post you wrote that Rowbotham should be honored and respected and that he was a visionary scientist ahead of his time and so on. That's how I spell 'guru'.

This 'FE movement' bears all the hallmarks of a cult. The old, visionary leader, the 2-3 bumper sticker slogans and the unwillingness to even consider the counter arguments presented... This has nothing whatsoever to do with the shape of the Earth, it's all about being in a community, where the faithful believers are special and argue contrary to what 99.9999999% of the rational beings on Earth know is true. You are the chosen ones, the few who see the real truth, you fight oppression and ridicule, but together you stand strong, and nothing, nothing at all, will ever be allowed to convince you that you are wrong.

PS: Rowbotham was not a doctor by any stretch of the imagination. If you disagree, please tell me where he got his degree.

I know... 'The Nile drops one foot and Professor Doctor Rowbotham, PhD spake the Truth, the whole Truth and nothing but the Truth. Amen!!!'
Figured it out by using Google? I have the guts, I just don't need to 'figure' anything out, Dr Rowbotham has already done it.

I don't know where you got the idea flat earth movement is a cult. All we do is accept that earth isn't a globe. Yes, Dr Rowbotham was the founder of the zetetic movement, but its not a cult. We don't worship him in any way whatsoever.

And no, its on you to prove he wasn't a doctor. I referred to him as one, you stated it as an absolute fact he wasn't. I didn't say to you that he absolutely was. So it's on you to prove he wasn't.

« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2018, 05:29:44 PM »

And what evidence did he give for the Nile dropping by only 1 foot along its entire length? Why do you choose to take his word?

Offline StinkyOne

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2018, 05:51:11 PM »
Figured it out by using Google? I have the guts, I just don't need to 'figure' anything out, Dr Rowbotham has already done it.

I don't know where you got the idea flat earth movement is a cult. All we do is accept that earth isn't a globe. Yes, Dr Rowbotham was the founder of the zetetic movement, but its not a cult. We don't worship him in any way whatsoever.

And no, its on you to prove he wasn't a doctor. I referred to him as one, you stated it as an absolute fact he wasn't. I didn't say to you that he absolutely was. So it's on you to prove he wasn't.

Rowbotham didn't figure out the Nile drops 1 foot in 1 thousand miles any more than you did. He never went to the Nile to measure anything. Your troll game is showing cracks. No one would blindly follow a quack from 150 years ago.

As for that Dr thing, call him what you want. You know, I know, everyone paying attention knows he did nothing to earn the title of Dr. If I run around calling myself a Dr and have it put on my headstone, does that mean anything at all? All it means is I was delusional or a liar. I'll let you decide which it was for Rowbotham.
I saw a video where a pilot was flying above the sun.
-Terry50

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2018, 07:14:54 PM »

Rowbotham didn't figure out the Nile drops 1 foot in 1 thousand miles any more than you did. He never went to the Nile to measure anything. Your troll game is showing cracks. No one would blindly follow a quack from 150 years ago.

Can you quote Rowbotham where he said anything about the drop of Nile?

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2018, 07:17:15 PM »

Tom, ask Parallax where he found the quote.
=============================
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.
=============================

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

HorstFue

« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2018, 08:29:45 PM »
Tom is right, it's not Robotham.

The "Author" is William Carpenter in
A hundred proofs the Earth is not a Globe (1885)
it's in the wiki: https://wiki.tfes.org/A_hundred_proofs_the_Earth_is_not_a_globe
Quote from: William Carpenter
4. There are rivers that flow for hundreds of miles towards the level of the sea without falling more than a few feet - notably, the Nile, which, in a thousand miles, falls but a foot. A level expanse of this extent is quite incompatible with the idea of the Earth's "convexity." It is, therefore, a reasonable proof that Earth is not a globe.

Offline Parallax

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2018, 08:44:49 PM »

Tom, ask Parallax where he found the quote.
Apologies, I made a mistake and got Dr Rowbotham mixed up with William Carpenter. I hold my hands up to that one.

Offline xenotolerance

• byeeeeeee
    • View Profile
    • flat Earth visualization
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2018, 10:26:42 PM »
Do you then concede the point, having accepted that Rowbotham did not make the claim?

Morgenstund

« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2018, 12:52:17 AM »

Figured it out by using Google?

I learned the definition of a circle long before there were PCs.
'A closed plane curve every point of which is equidistant from a fixed point within the curve'
It's basic geometry, and I simply applied it.

I have the guts, I just don't need to 'figure' anything out, Dr Rowbotham has already done it.

'The Wise One has done all my thinking for me.'

I don't know where you got the idea flat earth movement is a cult.
Oh, the irony. You call yourself "Disciple of Dr Rowbotham". You use his nym, for crying out loud.

All we do is accept that earth isn't a globe. Yes, Dr Rowbotham was the founder of the zetetic movement, but its not a cult. We don't worship him in any way whatsoever.
"We"... You're his "disciple" and He has done all the figuring out, so you don't need to.

Whoa! That's not how it works. You made the initial positive claim, calling him a Doctor, so the burden of proof is of course yours.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2018, 10:41:14 PM »
Rowbotham was called a doctor by his contemporaries and enemies and sources cite him as running a legitimate medical practice.

« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2018, 11:08:07 PM »
Rowbotham was called a doctor by his contemporaries and enemies and sources cite him as running a legitimate medical practice.

According to what sources?

« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2018, 11:11:25 PM »
Farty McFartwhistle was considered by both his followers and detractors alike as being the fartiest of all whistles.

See, anyone can just type stuff...

Morgenstund

« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2018, 11:39:11 PM »
I have no problem with being corrected, and would be happy to take a look at those sources.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2018, 12:01:59 AM »
I have no problem with being corrected, and would be happy to take a look at those sources.

Refer to the conversation in this thread:

https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=61409.msg1607688#msg1607688

Quote from: Ski
I'm not sure why you are so disparaging about his title. As stated, even if he did not graduate from Edinburgh, it was not uncommon for people to study at university's without documentation, nor is it impossible that he graduated elsewhere before or after studying at Edinburgh, nor that that he was licensed through one of the many licensing bodies that existed at the time.

In addition, you are ignoring that not a single instance has been presented in contemporary accounts wherein he was called anything but doctor by anyone -- including his adversaries. To take the stance that he was not a doctor would also mean that you believed the Bookseller editor to be in on the conspiracy in 1885, naming him a doctor with a flourishing and legitimate practice, or that the AAAS in publishing one of the most respected scientific journals calls anyone and their brother doctor without regard for their actual career or qualifications.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 01:23:14 AM by Tom Bishop »

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2018, 01:23:37 AM »
Also, see this thread in which we discover references to the school where Rowbotham studied, and where we uncover Rowbotham's creation of the phosphate soda industry with his Dr. Birley's drink and the subsequent intellectual theft by Dr. Pepper:

https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=51185.0

Offline Ardi

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2018, 01:36:18 AM »
Hi flaterthers
Apologies
Interested subject but i only wanted a way to post a new and thrilling subject proofing flatearth and reason behind GE theory
Thank you

« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2018, 08:25:58 AM »
Also, see this thread in which we discover references to the school where Rowbotham studied, and where we uncover Rowbotham's creation of the phosphate soda industry with his Dr. Birley's drink and the subsequent intellectual theft by Dr. Pepper:

https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=51185.0

So your proof is a thread where people are talking about it?

If that qualifies as proof to you I can see your problem.

« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2018, 09:17:58 AM »
Funny, I can't appear to find any reference to him online as Dr Samuel Rowbotham.

Are you sure about this?