Rama Set

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
Re: US Supreme Court Rules in Favor of Gay Marriage
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 03:36:51 PM »
A great day for freedom. It'll be our turn soon (probably, or at least hopefully).
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 03:54:17 PM »
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!!
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 04:27:50 PM »
The fact that it took this long is still ridiculous, but glad it happened finally. This will be one of the things people look back on in 50 years and wonder what the hell was wrong with people, similar to the civil rights movement.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 08:05:50 PM »
Society values tend to have quite a lot of inertia and sometimes it takes a while before significant changes can be realized.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 08:06:08 PM »
I'm offended by it simply because I don't think a court should legislate it. I think the States should decide on it. If I were a State that opposed it, I would tell the Court to fuck itself, and refuse to issue the licenses. They would have to send in the military to force my State to do it, if I was the Governor of such a State. And then I would order all State workers to strike, and not allow any one of them to come to work. The military would have to run all the offices of the State indefinitely.

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 09:00:23 PM »
I'm offended by it simply because I don't think a court should legislate it. I think the States should decide on it. If I were a State that opposed it, I would tell the Court to fuck itself, and refuse to issue the licenses. They would have to send in the military to force my State to do it, if I was the Governor of such a State. And then I would order all State workers to strike, and not allow any one of them to come to work. The military would have to run all the offices of the State indefinitely.
I don't think you understand how the United States government works. I suggest taking a high school level civics course.
You don't think I'm going to post here sober, do you?  ???

I have embraced my Benny Franko side. I'm sleazy.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 09:01:15 PM »
Reading the highlights of the dissenting opinion is kinda interesting.  It boils down to "We shouldn't tell marriage what it is" and "This is a horrible court".

Or you'd be arrested for violating federal law and your deputy governor would take over, with the fear of arrests.

Or they'd just remove all federal funding from your state then watch you spiral into ruin.  :D
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 09:31:20 PM »
And the State would declare independence and start Civil War II. Frankly, on a personal level, I don't care who marries whom; but I believe in States' Rights. I would also call up the State National Guard to kill on sight any Federal agent, military or otherwise, who attempted to enter the State to enforce a law that violates the Constitution of my State and that of the USA.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2015, 09:33:50 PM »
But I'm not the Governor, and my State already allows it.

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2015, 09:47:22 PM »
enforce a law that violates the Constitution of my State and that of the USA.
Please explain, with quotes from the Constitution, how the Supreme Court interpreting the law is unconstitutional.
You don't think I'm going to post here sober, do you?  ???

I have embraced my Benny Franko side. I'm sleazy.

Rama Set

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2015, 09:52:28 PM »

enforce a law that violates the Constitution of my State and that of the USA.

Do you feel the same about the currently existing Defense of Marriage Act?

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2015, 10:19:50 PM »
Yes, legislating civil rights is always good practice... Brilliant.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2015, 10:29:46 PM »
I don't have to. Just read the dissenting opinion. And DOMA was invalidated a few years ago. Neverthless, that was constitutional. Enforcing existing understings that go back 25,000 years is one thing. Summarily changing those understandings against the will of a sovereign State is an entirely different matter. To paraphrase the Constitution, any power not explicitly given to the Federal Government is retained by the States. Marriage is one of those. Marriage laws are enforced and instituted by States. One does NOT go to a Federal office to get a marriage license. One goes to a State office. This makes it a State, not a Federal matter. The Federal Government has no jurisdiction on the matter.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 10:32:32 PM by Yaakov ben Avraham »

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
US Supreme Court Rules in Favor of Gay Marriage
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2015, 10:41:06 PM »
I don't have to. Just read the dissenting opinion. And DOMA was invalidated a few years ago. Neverthless, that was constitutional. Enforcing existing understings that go back 25,000 years is one thing. Summarily changing those understandings against the will of a sovereign State is an entirely different matter. To paraphrase the Constitution, any power not explicitly given to the Federal Government is retained by the States. Marriage is one of those. Marriage laws are enforced and instituted by States. One does NOT go to a Federal office to get a marriage license. One goes to a State office. This makes it a State, not a Federal matter. The Federal Government has no jurisdiction on the matter.

Take a look at Loving v. Virginia. This gay marriage ruling isn't the first time the Supreme Court had to "redefine" marriage for states that just couldn't help discriminating against their citizens.

Your position is flawed, and quite frankly ridiculous. I also find it interesting that your reaction is that there should be bloodshed over this. I'm really glad your kind of people are fading and will be proven again to be on the wrong side of history.

Rama Set

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2015, 10:42:23 PM »

Seems basing the decision on the 14th amendment is pretty sound to me.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2015, 10:55:20 PM »

Seems basing the decision on the 14th amendment is pretty sound to me.
Agreed.  I mean, if a black and white person can fall in love, why shouldn't they be allowed to marry like the rest of us?
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2015, 12:06:27 AM »
And then I would order all State workers to strike, and not allow any one of them to come to work. The military would have to run all the offices of the State indefinitely.

I would also call up the State National Guard to kill on sight any Federal agent, military or otherwise, who attempted to enter the State to enforce a law that violates the Constitution of my State and that of the USA.

Do you seriously think that governors have the power to do these ridiculous things?

First of all, states aren't sovereign.  They're not even close to sovereign.  Second of all, you're confusing the powers of the federal government (as in, the laws that Congress can pass and the executive can enforce) with the scope of the Supreme Court's jurisdiction.  The Supreme Court has full authority over pretty much every legal issue in the country (hence its name).  What Congress can or can't do is irrelevant to the Court's power to hear and rule on any appeal it receives.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2015, 12:17:28 AM »
And the State would declare independence and start Civil War II. Frankly, on a personal level, I don't care who marries whom; but I believe in States' Rights. I would also call up the State National Guard to kill on sight any Federal agent, military or otherwise, who attempted to enter the State to enforce a law that violates the Constitution of my State and that of the USA.

Even if the governor had the authority to declare war on the rest of the US (which they don't), the state National Guard can be federalized under order from the president. Famously, Kennedy did this to stop the governor of Alabama from disobeying the Supreme Court's order to desegregate schools.

Also, you would be a terrible leader. Your response to things you disagree with is "kill everyone who disagrees with me" an uncomfortable amount of the time.
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2015, 03:01:00 AM »
First off, you are assuming I agree with Loving v. Virginia. I don't. I think SCOTUS exceeded its authority there, too. I think the Sovereign States should have been left to make that decision. And no, I disagree with you. The only reason States aren't sovereign (any more) is the South's loss of the Civil War, and earlier, the Anti-Federalists' loss in the creation of the American government.

And personally, although I don't presume to tell two people who can marry whom, I don't personally like interracial marriage. Miscegenation, to be quite frank, offends my sensibilities. If you want to do it, feel free, but don't ask me to fucking like it.

And yes, the National Guard can be Federalised. They can also refuse to be Federalised, by refusing to follow an order they consider to be in violation of their own State's constitution.