Thork

iPhone 6 and iWatch
« on: September 09, 2014, 06:45:55 PM »
Well, I'm pretty underwhelmed. The iPhone 6 is already old technology (kinda expected) and it still looks dated. Don't know the price yet. Apple keep saying ""from $199 with a two year contract" without any information as to what that contract might be. I suspect this is going to laughably expensive (That's a notch above 'eye-wateringly' because you know its so expensive its a joke and you will never pay that).

And the iWatch. I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone needs this. My phone tells me the time. Apple already killed the watch. I don' need one. Most of the features look gimmicky and I just don't like how it looks. And its a sports watch. No mention of it actually being waterproof. you know, for sports. Like swimming, rowing, kayaking, sailing ... regular sports. How can you make a sports watch and not be telling people how water resistant it is? Surely it is ... right?

Anyone falling in love we these things?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 06:51:19 PM by Thork »

Ghost of V

Re: iPhone 6 and iWatch
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 06:54:47 PM »
Anyone falling in love we these things?

No.

I like the idea of a SmartWatch, but I wouldn't buy an Apple one. I'd choose Motorola or maybe even Samsung (maybe not) over Apple.

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 07:36:53 PM »
If there's one thing Apple is good at, it's selling boatloads of shiny technology that people don't really need.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 08:08:23 PM »
If there's one thing Apple is good at, it's selling boatloads of shiny technology that people don't really need.
Isn't that the goal of pretty much every consumer tech company?  ???
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 08:24:32 PM »
iPhone 5 looked nice, why did they replace that design with this shit?

I suspect this is going to laughably expensive

Contract-free 128 GB iPhone 6 Plus is $949. I wish I was fucking kidding.

This is for specs that were good for an Android phone two years ago, mind.

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 09:09:43 PM »
Isn't that the goal of pretty much every consumer tech company?  ???

For the most part, yes. But this thread is about the iPhone.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 10:52:39 PM »
And no sapphire glass for the phone.  That would have justified the price.
And have you seen the PPI?  My 2 year old phone is almost as good.  (312 vs 326)
Though they did somehow manage to make it a higher density with the 5".
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 11:53:20 PM by Lord Dave »
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 11:12:04 PM »
And have you unseen the PPI?

what does this mean

My 2 year old phone is almost as good.  (312 vs 326)
Though they did somehow manage to make it a higher density with the 5".

Also, its PPI is not that good. My S5 is 432. Apple is clearly terrible in trying to push the whole "retina" thing, because it's hard to go back to iScreens now after having this phone.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Thork

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 11:41:36 PM »
Also, its PPI is not that good. My S5 is 432. Apple is clearly terrible in trying to push the whole "retina" thing, because it's hard to go back to iScreens now after having this phone.
Lumia 930 dicks all over it.
Half the price, twice the power.
http://www.nokia.com/gb-en/phones/phone/lumia930/specifications/

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 11:45:33 PM »
iPhone 5 looked nice, why did they replace that design with this shit?

I suspect this is going to laughably expensive

Contract-free 128 GB iPhone 6 Plus is $949. I wish I was fucking kidding.

This is for specs that were good for an Android phone two years ago, mind.

Which specs? The 64-bit CPU? Didn't know Android was pushing that two years ago...

But yeah, underwhelmed overall. I don't really get excited over tech anymore. Still waiting for Apple to "revolutionize" the TV industry, although I don't think that will happen now that Steve is gone. This is what they've come up with in the 3 years since he has passed, a watch. You could tell the Apple Watch is Tim Cook's baby. He rushed through everything, stole Steve's fucking line, and then spent forever talking about a device no one needs. I will get a new iPhone, because I don't have to pay for it. Not sure if I want the 6 or the 6 Plus. It is hard not to look like a douche holding a tablet to your head while talking on the phone.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 11:46:57 PM »

Jesus, Thork... If there was ever something that no one cared about or wanted, it is a Windows phone.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 11:49:49 PM »

So it's basically the S5, but with 9 more PPI. And is also a Windows phone, therefore worse
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Thork

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 11:51:37 PM »

Jesus, Thork... If there was ever something that no one cared about or wanted, it is a Windows phone.
10% of the market in the UK now. Apple only have 27%. Try one. Its kind of obvious. It works well with your computer assuming you run Windows like most of the world.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2014, 11:57:03 PM »

10% of the market in the UK now. Apple only have 27%. Try one. Its kind of obvious. It works well with your computer assuming you run Windows like most of the world.
And 3% worldwide... I tried a Windows Phone 7 handset back after launch. I was excited, had high hopes, and it was garbage. After the way Microsoft ruined the desktop with Windows 8, I don't see a need to go back. I don't run Windows for my personal gear, with the exception of a media center PC, and haven't for the better part of a decade.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2014, 11:57:34 PM »
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Thork

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2014, 11:59:43 PM »

And 3% worldwide... I tried a Windows Phone 7 handset back after launch. I was excited, had high hopes, and it was garbage. After the way Microsoft ruined the desktop with Windows 8, I don't see a need to go back. I don't run Windows for my personal gear, with the exception of a media center PC, and haven't for the better part of a decade.
Windows 7 phone was 'garbage'. Windows 8 phone just works. Its not like the desktop version. I hate that too. But on a phone, it makes a lot of sense. And Jesus Christ it is fast. Android and iOS don't come close.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2014, 12:04:25 AM »
Windows 7 phone was 'garbage'. Windows 8 phone just works. Its not like the desktop version. I hate that too. But on a phone, it makes a lot of sense. And Jesus Christ it is fast. Android and iOS don't come close.

Maybe I will give it a try. I have been needing to order some test handsets anyway. Still going to get a 6, though.

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2014, 12:25:57 AM »
And the iWatch. I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone needs this.

"Wearable tech". "The internet of things". People have been prattling on about it for a few years now, telling us its something that's going to happen and it'll change our lives forever. Tech journalists make promises. Apple delivers.

Ghost of V

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2014, 12:36:14 AM »
I'm interested in the iWatch, but the idea of a SmartWatch isn't exactly an Apple innovation... It's been around for at least 5 years now. The iWatch looks the worst out of all the SmartWatches on the market at this point, at least when you compare prices.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2014, 01:08:05 AM »
I'm interested in the iWatch, but the idea of a SmartWatch isn't exactly an Apple innovation... It's been around for at least 5 years now.
And you can see just how well the market is doing, can't you?

The iWatch looks the worst out of all the SmartWatches on the market at this point, at least when you compare prices.
Let's see how developers take to the iWatch and then see how it compares.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.