Ghost of V

Re: Sherlock
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2014, 08:11:15 PM »
If you keep watching there are subtle hints that that is not the real Moriarty. That's my personally theory right now, given the ending of Season 3.

I hate what Sherlock did to Moriarty, so maybe this is just wishful thinking. However, there are clues throughout the show that hint at this as well, although some of them are a bit of a stretch.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2014, 08:24:28 PM »
The original Moriarty didn't really have any personality to speak of. He was more of a plot device than an active participant in any of the stories. In the one story where he does make an actual appearance, he still doesn't portray much character. 
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2014, 08:25:33 PM »
It's enough character to show that he wasn't a flamboyant, manic loony.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2014, 08:27:46 PM »
Right, he was a characterless set piece that was created only for the purpose of killing Sherlock Holmes because ACD was sick of writing the character. How is that any better?

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2014, 09:26:04 PM »
I have to agree with PP, Moriarty in the stories was bland and dull. If you really didn't think Andrew Scott's performance was amazing, I want nothing to do with you from now on
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Ghost of V

« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2014, 09:33:54 PM »
In Doyle's work he was a set piece, but he has become a more realized character since then with movies, radio plays, and other Sherlock Holmes media.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2014, 09:38:14 PM »
In Doyle's work he was a set piece, but he has become a more realized character since then with movies, radio plays, and other Sherlock Holmes media.

Irrelevant. We're talking about the "original character".

Ghost of V

« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2014, 09:51:20 PM »

Irrelevant. We're talking about the "original character".

There's no such thing as an original character. lrn2rushy

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2014, 12:06:09 AM »
I still think that a brilliant math professor who's secretly a ruthless mob boss would have been far more interesting than yet another chaotic evil madman who doesn't care about anything but watching the world burn or whatever.  Obviously, they'd need to flesh him out as a more distinctive character first, but it could be done.  Disney did it:

Literally the best version of Moriarty to date.  Prove me wrong.

A minor quibble, admittedly, but I don't like the gay jokes the show keeps making about Sherlock and John.  Not so much because I find them to be unfunny and immature - although I do - but because they're not justified by the context.  What I mean by this is that for all its faults, one thing the show handles very well is its portrayal of Sherlock and John, and their relationship.  They have a great friendship; unique, certainly, but also funny, touching, and believable.  They're not just bros who hang out and do stuff together, they have a real connection.  And at the same time, they're both clearly straight men.  There's no real gay subtext or homo tension, at least not compared to something like, I don't know, Frodo and Sam from LotR.  So anytime someone makes a joke about how they must be gay, it feels like it just comes out of left field.  They're gay?  They're gay because they work together?  They're gay because they happen to share an apartment so they can split the rent?  They're gay because they dare to be close friends who trust and confide in each other?

It's unnecessary self-deprecation, in other words.  It's like the show feels the need to occasionally turn to the viewers and say, "No homo, we promise!" as if we're suddenly going to forget that they're just friends.  Because they're talking to each other about their feelings and stuff, and we all know that only women and gay men do that, right? ::)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 09:28:31 PM by Saddam Hussein »

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2014, 12:26:49 AM »
People will always make gay jokes about two very close friends of the same sex, especially if they live together. It has happened to me and every one of my male best friends. Do you even second grade, Saddam?

Ghost of V

« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2014, 12:35:10 AM »
Sherlock is gay tho

Right?

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2014, 02:01:51 AM »
People will always make gay jokes about two very close friends of the same sex, especially if they live together. It has happened to me and every one of my male best friends. Do you even second grade, Saddam?

I'm aware that the practice is dumb, immature, and usually off-base.  That seems like a very good reason why the show should drop it.  If you're trying to argue that the show is justified in including it because it's common IRL, I say that's dumb.  This lady argues why better than I can:

http://www.overthinkingit.com/2014/05/12/to-hell-with-your-realism/

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2014, 02:05:36 AM »
It's been a while, but I don't remember the show making a big deal out of it.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2014, 12:44:19 PM »
Nor do I. There were a few very short gay jokes. Only the SJW crowd would manage to get so worked up over something so miniscule and unimportant

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2014, 03:10:36 PM »
There were a few very short gay jokes.

Which they consistently make in every episode.  It's annoying.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2014, 03:29:24 PM »
Maybe you should stop being such a homo about it.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2014, 06:51:09 PM »
There were a few very short gay jokes.

Which they consistently make in every episode.  It's annoying.
I'm going to count the gay jokes when I next watch soon. It better be every single episode.

Ghost of V

« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2014, 07:22:36 PM »
I don't think it's even every episode. I counted maybe 4 altogether.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2014, 12:55:37 AM »
I watched the last episode today.  It, along with the previous one, were my favorites.  No gay jokes, and much better writing with much more simplified mysteries.  I'm not looking forward to the rehash of the poor man's Joker that looks like it's coming next.  They probably won't bother trying to explain how Moriarity faked his death, either.

Ghost of V

« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2014, 12:57:50 AM »
I watched the last episode today.  It, along with the previous one, were my favorites.  No gay jokes, and much better writing with much more simplified mysteries.  I'm not looking forward to the rehash of the poor man's Joker that looks like it's coming next.  They probably won't bother trying to explain how Moriarity faked his death, either.

There are a few theories going around about how Moriarity could have survived. One of them is that the person we know of as Moriarity isn't really him; he's really just an actor. But it's Moffat, so it's probably going to be something stupid. The last episode of Season 3 is my favorite episode of Sherlock so far. I'm glad you liked it because a lot of people seem to rate it as one of the worst episodes of the series. I don't know why.