Moon and Stars
« on: February 03, 2020, 02:21:48 AM »
How is it possible that the moon doesn’t pass in front of any stars. I kind of understand how it works on a flat Earth. But I’m curious what’s the explanation for it on a round earth. And if it does, I’ve never seen it happen.  And I have watched the moon move across the night sky many of times.

Offline Hants

• View Profile
Re: Moon and Stars
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 09:14:37 AM »
Because you only live once.

Offline RoundLurker

• Lurking since early 2018.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 09:52:46 AM »
How is it possible that the moon doesn’t pass in front of any stars. I kind of understand how it works on a flat Earth. But I’m curious what’s the explanation for it on a round earth. And if it does, I’ve never seen it happen.  And I have watched the moon move across the night sky many of times.

The moon passes in front of the sun (our closest star) during a solar eclipse. This is visible from somewhere on Earth roughly every 18 months, but from any one location, total eclipses take place once in several hundred years ish.

For other stars, this is referred to as occultation.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occultation
The person in my avatar does not exist, and that's unsettling.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 09:58:18 AM »
RL, while your answer is obviously correct within the RET paradigm, I think it's fair to assume OP is referring to more distant stars as seen at night time.

That said, I'm not sure why he thinks the moon never passes in front of those either. It quite clearly does. Perhaps the issue is that the stars' light wouldn't be particularly easy (or impossible) to see when the moon is nearby in the field of view? I'm not sure.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline RoundLurker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 10:24:56 AM »
Yah agree, should have started my response with "Us roundies reckon that..."

This section of the wiki I linked to covers the distant stars point, and is vaguely interesting: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occultation#Occultations_by_the_Moon

I guess anecdotally OP hasn't seen this for him/herself because, as you say, the moon is much brighter. Probably like trying to see flashlight 50 meters away with car headlights in your eyes. 

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 05:36:58 PM »
I’m saying as much as I watched the moon move across the night sky. I haven’t once seen a star disappear behind the moon. And if you answer honestly, I’m pretty sure you haven’t either.   

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2020, 06:17:27 PM »
Just as you’ll never see a star cross over another star. They all run in perfect circles around the North Star. And that should not be if stars are at different distances from Earth.
Sit in a chair and find 2 objects one close and one far away that lines up with each other.   Spin in a circle and watch the 2 objects move apart.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2020, 10:29:39 PM »
Just as you’ll never see a star cross over another star. They all run in perfect circles around the North Star. And that should not be if stars are at different distances from Earth.
Sit in a chair and find 2 objects one close and one far away that lines up with each other.   Spin in a circle and watch the 2 objects move apart.
You are describing parallax. The further things are away, the less motion you will see because of that and the stars are unimaginably far away relative to distances humans experience day to day.

And if the stars are moving in circles around the North Star why are different stars observed from the Southern Hemisphere and they are observed rotating in the opposite direction?
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Tim Alphabeaver

• That's no beaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2020, 10:55:48 PM »
I’m saying as much as I watched the moon move across the night sky. I haven’t once seen a star disappear behind the moon. And if you answer honestly, I’m pretty sure you haven’t either.
Well I suppose I haven't seen a star disappear behind the moon... but neither have I seen a star move in front of the moon.
**I move away from the infinite flat plane to breathe in

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2020, 06:39:25 AM »
Poke small holes in a tarp.  The number of holes will be however many stars you can see. Put it above your head and watch how many times the moon will pass over a hole.
Weird how everything seems to be synced with each other being that they are suppose to be random and unconnected with each other.(Moon and Stars outside our solar system)

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2020, 10:30:15 AM »
.Weird how everything seems to be synced with each other being that they are suppose to be random and unconnected with each other.(Moon and Stars outside our solar system)
It's not weird, it's exactly what you'd expect if the stars are distant and we live on a rotating globe.
If you're in the northern hemisphere then you'd see the stars rotating above a central northern point - there happens to be a star there which we can see (although it's not exactly over the north pole, but it's close) but that's just happenstance.
In the Southern hemisphere you'd expect to see different stars rotating around a southern point and that is what's observed - in the south there is no equivalent pole star.
My question to you is how those observations could make sense on a flat earth.
The observation in the northern hemisphere could be explained on a flat earth by stars rotating above us but the southern hemisphere observation would need a different explanation.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2020, 01:06:06 PM »
And if the stars were at very different differences then the star trails wouldn’t be uniformed and never crossing each other. Just like you want see the moon move in front of a star. Everything was put in place perfectly.  And there is no South Pole. A Northern hemisphere compass will not work properly in the Southern Hemisphere and vice versa.  But both compasses will point correctly to the North. Because there is nothing south it could point.
The reason you can’t see some of the northern hemisphere stars in the Southern Hemisphere is the same reason the Sun doesn’t light up the entire Flat Earth. The same reason one light bulb will not light up Yankee Stadium.  The more lumens the light has the further you will be able to see it.

Offline RoundLurker

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2020, 03:10:26 PM »

This is the event you're describing (lunar occultation):
https://time.com/4185018/watch-star-disappear-moon/
https://www.space.com/31609-moon-block-star-aldebaran-tuesday.html

Here's another example from the University of Hawai'i:
https://www.ifa.hawaii.edu/~barnes/ASTR110L_F03/lunaroccultation.html

As a slight aside, Aristotle recorded the Moon covering Mars on April 4, 357 B.C:
https://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/celestial-objects-to-watch/occultations/

I've never investigated this personally as I don't believe it warrants it - but if you'd like to disprove it, read up on the equipment required and record the outcome for us?

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2020, 03:29:31 PM »
A Northern hemisphere compass will not work properly in the Southern Hemisphere and vice versa.
Do you really think that's a thing?
I already explained the parallax thing.
I note you ignored the question about the observation of starts rotating around a southern point from the southern hemisphere in the opposite direction than the way they rotate in the northern hemisphere. Do you have an explanation or are you just denying that happens?

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2020, 04:22:23 PM »
I don’t understand. All stars rotate east to west. Like a giant disco ball(Exactly like a disco ball) turning with mirrored walls(the dome).

Offline Tim Alphabeaver

• That's no beaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2020, 03:20:34 AM »
But both compasses will point correctly to the North. Because there is nothing south it could point.
What about the south pole? Last I checked, magnets attract to both north and south poles.
**I move away from the infinite flat plane to breathe in

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2020, 05:25:59 PM »
But both compasses will point correctly to the North. Because there is nothing south it could point.
What about the south pole? Last I checked, magnets attract to both north and south poles.

The North Pole holds over 20 different mammals and 100 different types of birds. Has an average temp of 32F where the South Pole is somewhere around -60F no plants or animal life. I live around 30 Longitude and it’s  closer to the weather at the North Pole than the North Pole is to Antarctica much less the South Pole.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2020, 05:27:58 PM »
I don’t understand. All stars rotate east to west. Like a giant disco ball(Exactly like a disco ball) turning with mirrored walls(the dome).

The direction of the rotation of the stars depends on the hemisphere you're in

How would you explain that in your model?

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2020, 06:10:58 PM »
It looked like the stars were all found the same way. They had that one shot where the camera was tilted so the longer runs were towards center of stars. But all found the same direction.

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2020, 06:16:57 PM »

The direction of the rotation of the stars depends on the hemisphere y

The direction of the rotation of the stars depends on the hemisphere you're in

Also you can tell because in the bottom left the stars are going the slowest because smaller circles around North Star and the top right are the stars are moving the fastest. All going around one since point.