Recent Posts

Your statement seems kind of ridiculous. Using a desktop solid glass magnifying dome as an acceptable model scheme to show how light behaves upon the flat Earth's surface would be like someone launching a desktop model rocket in their backyard and explaining that to be an acceptable model scheme to show how a rocket engine behaves in the vacuum of space.
In what way, exactly, would the two be alike? Please detail the necessary aspects of both RET and FET to underline your argument.
Philosophy, Religion & Society / Re: Trump
« Last post by Tom Bishop on Today at 03:26:34 PM »
So what you're saying is that if Democrats were Republicans, Republicans would vote for them.

Correct. See what Obama did in regards to his opposition of gay marriage up until 2012. In previous years he took the position that he opposed gay marriage. In 2012 he supported it.

It was revealed that he didn't personally oppose gay marriage in his first 2008 presidential campaign and the years leading up to 2012, but opposed as part of his political platform prior to 2012 it because that is what the people wanted. Some people say that he lied for political points, but a more charitable interpretation is that Obama wanted to be president for everyone and had an obligation to that position.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2015/02/10/axelrod-says-obama-lied-about-opposing-gay-marriage-its-another-convenient-evolution/

Obama himself says that he always personally supported gay marriage before 2012 and had opposed as part of his political platform because he was taking "a whole bunch of religious sensitivities" into account.

https://www.salon.com/2015/02/11/obamas_dubious_marriage_equality_claim_why_hes_still_bullsing/

Obama framed his erstwhile position as a good-faith effort to marry his commitment to gay equality with a respect for religiously-based opposition to same-sex nuptials.

"I always felt that same-sex couples should be able to enjoy the same rights, legally, as anybody else, and so it was frustrating to me not to, I think, be able to square that with what were a whole bunch of religious sensitivities out there," he said.

"So my thinking at the time was that civil unions — which I always supported — was a sufficient way of squaring the circle. That, OK, we won’t call it 'marriage,' we’ll call it 'civil unions,' same-sex couples will have the same rights as anybody else, but the word 'marriage' with its religious connotations historically would be preserved for marriages between men and women," Obama continued
There might be a time when two of the three southern continent locations such as South America and Africa see the night stars at the same time, but never all three (South America, Africa and Australia) at the same time.

https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/sunearth.html

Here is summer on June 21, 2021 with added green marker for "a star":

Nice cherry picking of data.  You've been shown before that this isn't true.

From the same website:

Now locate the star between the southern tip of Aftica and Madagascar on your monopole map and all three continents can view it at the same time except that South America and Australia will be looking nowhere near south as happens in reality.
And you can keep claiming that Octantis can be seen at all three locations at the same time and that is simply a lie. There is no verified instance of this ever happening.
Arts & Entertainment / Re: Superhero Movies & Comics General
« Last post by Rushy on Today at 02:11:35 PM »
You're not wrong. I just think it's interesting that of all capeshit films, it's the R-rated psychological thriller with no action or explosions where its most enthusiastic fans quickly make it clear how young and inexperienced they are.

Joker's particular brand of edgy emo behavior is mental cocaine to teens and tweens alike. His "that feel when no gf",  "world is so mean to me for no reason" and "my job sucks" whining during the movie really hits it off with younger audiences. While, yes, there are deeper narratives in the film, those are the sorts of concepts younger audiences will identify with in the movie. It's a simple "he's literally me" movie for a lot of them. Especially since the end result is him rebelling against authority figures and lashing out.
« Last post by Roundy on Today at 01:25:58 PM »
So what you're saying is that if Democrats were Republicans, Republicans would vote for them.

Tom gonna Tom.

Yeah but it demonstrates that Republicans don't care about anything except their policies being supported.  Realistically we could put up an AI that just scans conservative sites for opinions and does that.  Would be way less hassle and embarassment than Trump.

Black Mirror basically did an episode around this premise.
« Last post by Lord Dave on Today at 01:14:18 PM »

Tom gonna Tom.

Yeah but it demonstrates that Republicans don't care about anything except their policies being supported.  Realistically we could put up an AI that just scans conservative sites for opinions and does that.  Would be way less hassle and embarassment than Trump.

But then I wonder: if all that matters is policy and party, why Trump and not someone else?

(Also it shows that any call of dems being immoral isn't a factor)
Arts & Entertainment / Re: Superhero Movies & Comics General
« Last post by Roundy on Today at 12:18:08 PM »
Well it certainly makes perfect sense that the primary component of a movie's fanbase is the demographic that the entire genre is built around. It's sort of like being surprised that Transformer films are mostly viewed by teenagers as well.

You're not wrong. I just think it's interesting that of all capeshit films, it's the R-rated psychological thriller with no action or explosions where its most enthusiastic fans quickly make it clear how young and inexperienced they are.

In what way is this interesting?

Also Taxi Driver is overrated trash, Joker is a better movie, and there's nothing inherently wrong with a movie's creator wearing his influences on his sleeve. Controversial opinions?
« Last post by Roundy on Today at 12:08:16 PM »

Tom gonna Tom.
« Last post by Lord Dave on Today at 11:26:14 AM »

Wow... What a Tautology. >_>

Tho I think the issue is that all those who decided that Trump is unfit didn't bother finding a fit conservative candidate.  Or couldn't....
« Last post by Tom Bishop on Today at 11:22:58 AM »
If Democrats were more conservative and traditionalist like they were at some points in history, they would probably see voting Democrat as a viable option.

Joe Biden in his early political days existed at a time when liberals were extremely pro-police, anti-illegal immigration, and claimed to promote religous morality. They were also anti-gay marriage and you can find plenty of old videos of Democrats speaking against gay marriage.

To get republicans to vote democrat all they have to do is do what they have done for decades; warp their political positions to what is necessary.