Offline Scroogie

• View Profile
If the Earth is Flat...
« on: December 14, 2017, 12:15:10 AM »
...as proponents of the Flat Earth Theory suggest, then all recorded data pertaining to the earth must necessarily be that of a flat earth. It follows that any map created employing said data would be a true and accurate map of a Flat Earth.

Offline Tom Haws

• Not Flat, Round, Ellipsoid, or Geoid. Just Earth.
    • View Profile
    • Tom Haws Interesting Random Discoveries
Re: If the Earth is Flat...
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 12:17:33 AM »
In other words, we never will have "curvy" problems trying to fit things together on "paper" or on an XY map, because the ground where they originated has no "curvy" nature to cause us problems?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 02:56:13 AM by Tom Haws »
Civil Engineer (professional mapper)

Thanks to Tom Bishop for his courtesy.

No flat map can predict commercial airline flight times among New York, Paris, Cape Town, & Buenos Aires.

The FAQ Sun animation does not work with sundials. And it has the equinox sun set toward Seattle (well N of NW) at my house in Mesa, AZ.

Offline Scroogie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 01:04:07 AM »
In other words, we never will have "curvy" problems trying to fit things together on "paper" or on an XY map, because they ground where they originated has no "curvy" nature to cause us problems?

Yes, and in other, other words, if the FEers truly wanted to have a Flat Earth Map, they need only use all the data that is extant at this moment. That data was, after all, created with regard to a flat earth, as they so often insist. Those who created and recorded all that data were mistaken in the belief that they were mapping a spherical earth, IF the earth is flat. They could start work on their map immediately.

Offline Roger G

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 01:18:23 AM »
In other words, we never will have "curvy" problems trying to fit things together on "paper" or on an XY map, because they ground where they originated has no "curvy" nature to cause us problems?

Yes, and in other, other words, if the FEers truly wanted to have a Flat Earth Map, they need only use all the data that is extant at this moment. That data was, after all, created with regard to a flat earth, as they so often insist. Those who created and recorded all that data were mistaken in the belief that they were mapping a spherical earth, IF the earth is flat. They could start work on their map immediately.

It would be quite straight forward to check the accuracy of gps coordinates by travelling in a number of different directions from a fixed point on straight roads and compare the distances shown on the oddometer with those shown on the gps. Having established that the points are accurate, points further away could be plotted for map making. Bearings can also be taken during the journeys of relevant landmarks, then using basic navigational trigonometry those plotted points can be used to further test the accuracy of the other readings. The average should give an accuracy good enough to start making FE maps.

Roger

Offline Scroogie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 01:47:53 AM »
It would be quite straight forward to check the accuracy of gps coordinates by travelling in a number of different directions from a fixed point on straight roads and compare the distances shown on the oddometer with those shown on the gps. Having established that the points are accurate, points further away could be plotted for map making. Bearings can also be taken during the journeys of relevant landmarks, then using basic navigational trigonometry those plotted points can be used to further test the accuracy of the other readings. The average should give an accuracy good enough to start making FE maps.

Roger

They don't need to go to the bother of doing all or any of that. All the pertinent data already exists.

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 03:04:12 AM »
But why do maps have those lines that indicate that they'er curved? Earth must be round

Offline Scroogie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 03:12:05 AM »
But why do maps have those lines that indicate that they're curved? Earth must be round

Could it be, then, that the FEers are incorrect in their assumption?

devils advocate

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 10:44:41 AM »
There are numerous ways to make a map and to check the accuracy of the Google maps satellite map. Car's odometer, the handheld measuring wheel, a ruler. Walk around the coast a check the angles and lines of a map are consistent with reality, do the same for big inland features. use a GPS to travel from point A to point B and compare the distance/time. Compare the flight times predicted and experienced. Through this long list of processes one could decide that the current map is correct. However.....

I can't be bothered to do that, I doubt you can, I doubt anyone would spend the amount of time required to do so. And even if you did would a flat earther believe you? Probably not.

I won't because I use these methods in my daily life just like the rest of the population and I know earth is not flat.

Flat earthers wont because they know earth is flat.

Offline Roger G

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2017, 11:32:22 AM »

Roger

They don't need to go to the bother of doing all or any of that. All the pertinent data already exists.
I'm happy to accept existing data, but FEs will require empirical observation. ;)

Roger

Offline Scroogie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2017, 12:58:27 AM »
I'm happy to accept existing data, but FEs will require empirical observation. ;)
Roger

The point I'm trying to make here is simply that FEers MUST accept the data because their earth IS FLAT, hence all data MUST be that of a flat earth. The logic is irrefutable.

Offline Roger G

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2017, 01:55:09 AM »
Roger

The point I'm trying to make here is simply that FEers MUST accept the data because their earth IS FLAT, hence all data MUST be that of a flat earth. The logic is irrefutable.

I totally agree with your point that any data that has been recorded about the earth, was taken from the world we live on so if it is flat then that is what the data refers to and of course the same if the earth is spherical. The logic is irrefutable to logical folks but there seems to be a preponderance of illogical folks amongst FEs. In other words they won't accept the data unless they took the readings themselves or unless it proves the world is flat within their own hypothesised field of reference. That is where it will break down for them as they will not be able to construct an accurate map that matches the data.

Roger

Offline Scroogie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2017, 08:46:17 AM »
Roger

I totally agree with your point that any data that has been recorded about the earth, was taken from the world we live on so if it is flat then that is what the data refers to and of course the same if the earth is spherical. The logic is irrefutable to logical folks but there seems to be a preponderance of illogical folks amongst FEs. In other words they won't accept the data unless they took the readings themselves or unless it proves the world is flat within their own hypothesised field of reference. That is where it will break down for them as they will not be able to construct an accurate map that matches the data.

Roger

Sadly, you have stated a truism there. Even more sadly, you'll notice that no FEers have responded, though many have looked. The logic is such that any argument would argue the case for a spherical earth. I guess we may as well let this one die on the vine, as it is simply too much for the FEers to refute. The end of the story is that if a flat earth map can't be made using current data, the earth simply IS NOT FLAT. No other proofs are required.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 06:41:10 AM by Scroogie »