Offline AATW

• View Profile
Re: FE maps and Tectonic Plates
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2020, 09:32:20 AM »
There is nothing wrong with citing and insisting on that as evidence if you want to do that. I just find it interesting that the direct evidence on this topic requires a space agency.
It doesn't. Although if you're talking about entire plates moving, and moving slowly, then clearly something like GPS which has that global view is a good tool for measuring that. But there is other evidence, you were literally shown some pictures of things shifting over time and you said something silly about "well how do you know that isn't just because of earthquakes". Honestly a very silly statement when yes, it is because of earthquakes because those are caused by the plates slipping against each other. And it's particularly strange dismissal when you'd previously said:

There should at least be a screw which snapped on a fence on a fault line somewhere connecting the continents.

You were shown that exact sort of thing and then immediately went into full dismissal mode, your MO when you're shown something you don't like. I once again remind you how you accept at face value with no scrutiny whatsoever things which confirm your worldview.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

totallackey

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2020, 10:11:31 AM »
Migration. Across oceans? How do you think that would work?
Swimming and flying.
And it's not just animal fossils, there are things like fern fossils which are found on both sides of what is now an ocean.
Animals eat plants, fly or swim, then take a dump, defecating the seeds, which then take root.

Yes.

https://www.see.leeds.ac.uk/structure/dynamicearth/plates_move/active_tectonics/index.htm
Who authored that dubious webpage?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 10:14:29 AM by totallackey »

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2020, 10:23:54 AM »

Oh, come on.... you can't follow the link within it?

https://www.see.leeds.ac.uk/structure/dynamicearth/index.htm

"Welcome to teaching resources to support dynamic earth and tectonics teaching in the School of Earth Sciences. These are currently being constructed. New material is being added as available. Material on this site is primarily designed for the first year module (called Dynamic Earth) here in Leeds but there is more too. We hope you find it useful.

Rob Butler October 2001.
web authoring: Clare Gordon"
=============================
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2020, 10:29:26 AM »
But why is it that only NASA can seem to prove it?

No one could really prove it without NASA to tell them that their theories were correct. Funny that.

They were, until the last few years, the only space agency with launch and operation capability in the US.

An analogy for you, Tom.

You live in a two-storey building with three others - Fred, Joe, and Sam.

Sam is the only one with a stepladder. You and the others do not have a stepladder, and you cannot afford one.

So you ask Sam to clean the upstairs windows, since he's the one with the stepladder.

Is there anything suspicious about this arrangement? 

Substitute NASA for Sam and you have the reason why people collaborate with NASA to operate stuff in space.

Nearly?

totallackey

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2020, 10:44:21 AM »

Oh, come on.... you can't follow the link within it?

https://www.see.leeds.ac.uk/structure/dynamicearth/index.htm

"Welcome to teaching resources to support dynamic earth and tectonics teaching in the School of Earth Sciences. These are currently being constructed. New material is being added as available. Material on this site is primarily designed for the first year module (called Dynamic Earth) here in Leeds but there is more too. We hope you find it useful.

Rob Butler October 2001.
web authoring: Clare Gordon"

Thanks, I missed that part.

I didn't click any of the links on the page that popped up.

Now, which school of Earth Sciences is this?

And why is it 20 years old?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 10:46:58 AM by totallackey »

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2020, 10:50:06 AM »

Oh, come on ... you don't really need THIS much help, do you?

It's a school within Leeds University in the UK.   leeds.ac.uk in the URL. 

The University itself was founded in 1904. As I'm sure you can appreciate, it has changed since then ...

Nearly?

totallackey

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2020, 10:51:06 AM »

Oh, come on ... you don't really need THIS much help, do you?

It's a school within Leeds University in the UK.   leeds.ac.uk in the URL. 

The University itself was founded in 1904. As I'm sure you can appreciate, it has changed since then ...
Never heard of the place.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2020, 10:55:55 AM »
Swimming and flying.
Swimming. Across the Atlantic ocean? :).
OK, dude!
You know we are talking about land animals here, right?

I'm going to say it was someone at Leeds University. But you just arbitrarily declaring it dubious without any elaboration is not a rebuttal.
It was just one source I found, there are plenty of others.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2020, 10:57:07 AM »

Yes, you have. You just read and quoted my post where I mentioned it explicitly.

Nearly?

totallackey

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2020, 11:10:13 AM »
Swimming and flying.
Swimming. Across the Atlantic ocean? :).
OK, dude!
You know we are talking about land animals here, right?
Yes.

Are there islands located in the Atlantic?

How about masses of vegetation?

How about other natural rafts on which to climb aboard?

Really, you know this stuff already.
I'm going to say it was someone at Leeds University. But you just arbitrarily declaring it dubious without any elaboration is not a rebuttal.
It was just one source I found, there are plenty of others.
Well, it looked dubious because it really had no claim to authorship on the page you happened to link, but Tumeni already answered it.

totallackey

« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2020, 11:10:38 AM »

Yes, you have. You just read and quoted my post where I mentioned it explicitly.
Ha ha...

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2020, 11:44:58 AM »
There is nothing wrong with citing and insisting on that as evidence if you want to do that. I just find it interesting that the direct evidence on this topic requires a space agency.
It doesn't. Although if you're talking about entire plates moving, and moving slowly, then clearly something like GPS which has that global view is a good tool for measuring that. But there is other evidence, you were literally shown some pictures of things shifting over time and you said something silly about "well how do you know that isn't just because of earthquakes". Honestly a very silly statement when yes, it is because of earthquakes because those are caused by the plates slipping against each other. And it's particularly strange dismissal when you'd previously said:

There should at least be a screw which snapped on a fence on a fault line somewhere connecting the continents.

You were shown that exact sort of thing and then immediately went into full dismissal mode, your MO when you're shown something you don't like. I once again remind you how you accept at face value with no scrutiny whatsoever things which confirm your worldview.

No. A metal fence would have been far better than what was shown. It could be shown that elements were scraping along a metal fence, and rusting over, or that it was being deformed over time, moreso than just the separation.

What was shown could be explained by earthquakes. There are literally thousands of pictures like that for what happens after an earthquake. Yet you pretend that those don't exist and that continental drift is the only way for that to occur. Those pictures are not really evidence of anything at all.

That would be such easy evidence to get, by putting something solid between the fault lines.  Yet it can only be shown with the most elaborate methods possible from a space agency.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 02:14:57 AM by Tom Bishop »

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2020, 11:50:16 AM »
What was shown could be explained by earthquakes.
It is explained by earthquakes.
Now all you need to do is understand that earthquakes are (mostly) caused by the plates moving and we're there :)

http://www.seismo.ethz.ch/en/knowledge/things-to-know/causes-of-earthquakes/general/

Those pictures are not really evidence of anything at all.
Tom claiming photos that show something he doesn't like "aren't really evidence of anything at all".
How unusual :)

« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2020, 11:54:48 AM »
Taking a step back, I just wanted to use the theory of Mountains and Volcanos (here: https://wiki.tfes.org/Formation_of_Mountains_and_Volcanoes) to get some clarity on what flat earth maps are more likely. I am not sure there's an accepted map of how the plates are disposed and the puzzle they compose, but we do know that Mountains and Volcanoes are created from their long-standing activity. So, for example, if we think there is a subduction plate next to the ice wall, there should be some volcano there, signalling the underlying activity. Or, the Pacific Ring of Fire that, in the standard monopole map, is quite straight and not a ring at all, depicting a quite interesting underlying dynamic.
Quote from: Pete Svarrior
these waves of smug RE'ers are temporary. Every now and then they flood us for a year or two in response to some media attention, and eventually they peter out. In my view, it's a case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".