Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
Re: Just Watched
« Reply #380 on: May 27, 2014, 10:09:01 PM »
I went to see Locke on the weekend, a fantastic little film starring Tom Hardy and Olivia Coleman.

The film is watching a man's life fall apart through a series of phone calls as he drives to London to be there for a birth of a child he didn't want or mean to happen. very real, very painful and also funny in times as he tries to manage a multi-million pound construction project through his inept assistant.

It's not big on action, there's no great plot twists or eye-popping special effects - if anything, it's most similar to 12 angry men and has a similar sense of claustrophobia and stress.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: May 27, 2014, 10:32:21 PM »
The way you describe it reminds me of Buried, with Ryan Reynolds. The entire thing takes place in a coffin/box underground and is incredibly claustrophobic. I wonder if there are more films like it, 'cause I (really uncomfortably) enjoyed that experience.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

« Reply #382 on: May 28, 2014, 04:13:23 AM »
But I already answered you, Saddam.

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: May 28, 2014, 06:44:39 AM »
I watched Fargo yesterday at the recommendation of a family member after I told him I was going to school in Minnesota. I don't know why I haven't watched it before; it was phenomenal.

If you liked that, I recommend Blood Simple, Barton Fink, The Man Who Wasn't There and A Serious Man by the same directors.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• View Profile
« Reply #384 on: May 28, 2014, 06:38:06 PM »
The way you describe it reminds me of Buried, with Ryan Reynolds. The entire thing takes place in a coffin/box underground and is incredibly claustrophobic. I wonder if there are more films like it, 'cause I (really uncomfortably) enjoyed that experience.

I haven't seen Buried, but the premise is similar.

Locke is more like people-watching. The audience is simply eavesdropping on an ordinary man having an ordinary, but devastating series of phone calls. It's Tom Hardy's subtle acting which makes it, he may be becoming one of my favourite actors.

Ghost of V

« Reply #385 on: May 28, 2014, 06:46:30 PM »
\

Pom Poko.
Great Ghibli movie about a bunch of Japanese Raccoon Dogs trying to save their forest. It is pro-environment but it's not pushy, and it's hilarious. Explains a good deal about Japanese mythology, specifically the tanuki. Probably my favorite Studio Ghibli movie, perhaps tied with Princess Mononoke.

Offline spoon

• Foxy wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: May 29, 2014, 03:54:05 AM »
I watched Fargo yesterday at the recommendation of a family member after I told him I was going to school in Minnesota. I don't know why I haven't watched it before; it was phenomenal.

If you liked that, I recommend Blood Simple, Barton Fink, The Man Who Wasn't There and A Serious Man by the same directors.

Barton Fink is great. I have seen a few other Coen brothers films. Which of these do you recommend most urgently?
inb4 Blanko spoons a literally pizza

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• View Profile
« Reply #387 on: May 29, 2014, 07:23:51 PM »
Great Ghibli movie about a bunch of Japanese Raccoon Dogs trying to save their forest. It is pro-environment but it's not pushy, and it's hilarious. Explains a good deal about Japanese mythology, specifically the tanuki. Probably my favorite Studio Ghibli movie, perhaps tied with Princess Mononoke.

So... it's a Japanese Animals of Farthing Wood?

« Reply #388 on: May 29, 2014, 10:01:39 PM »

About as unfunny as the first. Contains maybe 4 laughs. Will Ferrell isn't really that good. This needs to stop.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 10:26:15 PM by fappenhosen »

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #389 on: May 30, 2014, 02:20:25 AM »
In a shocking twist, I have watched something non-superhero related; namely, the two Hobbit movies.  I quite liked the first one.  Padded at times, yes, and we could have done without those scenes with Radagast, but still enjoyable.  As everyone in the world has already pointed out, they didn't feel the need to be all broody mcbroodwalking, and the movie was stronger for it.  Like the way they kept to the silly tone of the scenes with the trolls and the Great Goblin, and didn't just depict them as monsters incapable of normal speech.  That was a pleasant surprise.

The second one, though, was not so good.  My biggest issue with it was all the LotR shit they shoved in, especially with Gandalf at Dol Guldur.  I watched this movie because I wanted to see The Hobbit.  I didn't watch it because I wanted to see LotR Episode One: The Phantom MenaceThe Hobbit is its own story.  It's not a "prequel" to LotR, and giving it that treatment not only distracts from the main story, but weakens the film overall by rehashing elements that were so ubiquitous in LotR.  It was fanfiction, and not even good fanfiction.  Jackson was so preoccupied with whether or not he could show us these scenes that he didn't stop to think if he should.

There were a few other things I didn't like about the movie, although nothing quite so major.  Legolas's technically-flawless, pitch-perfect combat prowess is fun to watch at first, just like in LotR, but starts to get annoying as your suspension of disbelief slowly fades and you realize you're watching someone's Mary Sue self-insertion fantasy - again, just like in LotR.  The overly-long climax with Smaug wore itself out after a while, too, and the dwarves' constantly whipping elaborate traps and escape methods out of their asses was a bit too much of a stretch - uh, no pun intended.  One thing that I honestly didn't mind too much was the love triangle subplot.  It wasn't fantastic or anything, but for whatever reason, it just didn't bother me.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #390 on: May 30, 2014, 03:31:20 AM »
You're just hoping for a dwarf sex scene. Admit it.
The Mastery.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #391 on: May 30, 2014, 04:10:00 AM »
I agree with Saddam about the second Hobbit movie.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #392 on: May 30, 2014, 05:30:36 AM »
The barrel axe spin scene made me chortle. Well, everything Bombur did made me chortle. In both films.
The Mastery.

« Reply #393 on: May 30, 2014, 06:54:36 AM »
Gandalf actually went to Dol Guldur though.

Ghost of V

« Reply #394 on: May 30, 2014, 08:04:39 AM »
The barrel scene was the best part of the second movie.

« Reply #395 on: May 30, 2014, 08:25:44 AM »
Yeah, I quite liked the barrel scene. First time I saw it I actually laughed.

« Reply #396 on: May 30, 2014, 09:19:06 AM »
Terminator Legolas needs moar screen time.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: May 30, 2014, 10:17:13 AM »

Yeah but, unless I'm mistaken, you don't read about it in the book aside from some sort of aside where Gandalf mentions where he went vaguely.

Snupes, you're the Marvel expert.  Tell me, have the Fantastic Four ever not sucked?  I ask because all I know about them is that they had three terrible movies and now there's a reboot coming out.  Go away superhero franchises.

They're one of the cheesiest superhero franchises and have proven difficult to seriousify really well. I think they could potentially make a good film, they just need someone who isn't terrible making it.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 10:19:26 AM by Snupes »
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: May 30, 2014, 03:58:33 PM »
I think they should stop with this "gritty realism" bullshit and make a superhero movie. Be cheesy, over the top, camp, whatever, you're making movies about dudes in full body spandex with magical powers, embrace it or go and do something else.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #399 on: May 30, 2014, 04:36:59 PM »

Yes, but the timing is a little off - he went there before the events of The Hobbit, not during them, and I don't like how it was portrayed.  Maybe this is just my own personal interpretation of the story, but I always imagined it as being a quiet, dark, and sad scene in which Gandalf finds Thrain, realizes that he can't save him, but promises to pass on the key and map to Thorin and help him retake Erebor.  Everyone sniffles and we have an Oscar clip, etc.  What Jackson did, being all BOOM ACTION FLASHING LIGHTS SO EPIC just seems all wrong.

Snupes, you're the Marvel expert.  Tell me, have the Fantastic Four ever not sucked?  I ask because all I know about them is that they had three terrible movies and now there's a reboot coming out.  Go away superhero franchises.

They're one of the cheesiest superhero franchises and have proven difficult to seriousify really well. I think they could potentially make a good film, they just need someone who isn't terrible making it.

How about the guy who directed Chronicle?