Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Star Citizen
« Reply #380 on: March 30, 2019, 04:27:00 PM »
I've been playing 3.5 for about a week now. What I thought was just a serious bug is actually an intended feature according to Chris Roberts:

Ships Constellation-sized and smaller will not be able to make long jumps. That is, for example, an Avenger will not be able to jump from Crusader to ArcCorp without overheating/damaging its engines. I thought this was a bug, as when I used an Avenger, I was stopping multiple times due to an overheat warning in 3.5 while trying to travel to ArcCorp.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #381 on: March 31, 2019, 06:05:20 AM »
I can maybe understand fighters not being able to make the jump, but Connie sized ships? That's fucking dumb bro.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #382 on: April 02, 2019, 06:49:05 AM »
After several hours playing around with 3.5, I think the game is starting to become enjoyable. If it weren't for the random crashes, I'd probably play it as a regular game. Once full persistence is in, maybe we should start playing for real since all our stuff will stay patch to patch and we can begin building our empire.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 06:51:15 AM by Fortuna »

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: April 02, 2019, 07:05:17 AM »
Once full persistence is in, maybe we should start playing for real

This has been the idea for about the past 3 years now.

Note, however, that even once full persistence is in for the alpha, all the state is likely going to be reset for the final release so that everyone can start on a level footing (modulo ridiculously priced OP ships).
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #384 on: April 02, 2019, 06:00:58 PM »
Once full persistence is in, maybe we should start playing for real

This has been the idea for about the past 3 years now.

Note, however, that even once full persistence is in for the alpha, all the state is likely going to be reset for the final release so that everyone can start on a level footing (modulo ridiculously priced OP ships).

Based on what CR said at the last CitizenCon it sounds like they’re already running their “live service” and the game will just be improved on over time. Apparently there won’t be any hard release date like there will be with SQ42. Server meshing and full persistence will probably mark a soft release, so I don’t see them ever resetting the game once those are in.

Also, as Rushy pointed out, why would they stop selling ships for cash if they’re making so much off of it? They might offer them for credits instead of cash to obscure the scam a little bit, but they’d probably still cost the same. I suspect, long after the game is “released”, we’ll still see new concepts being sold for current prices.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 06:04:46 PM by Fortuna »

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #385 on: August 24, 2019, 06:12:29 PM »

I actually love this ship. It has turret mines and homing mines. It’s going to be the kiting ship of Scam Shitizen, assuming they ever get the mines to work properly. And it looks dope af. It’s going to be hard to resist this one. And apparently those are size 7 guns?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 06:14:58 PM by Fortuna »

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: August 24, 2019, 11:44:38 PM »
I actually love this ship. It has turret mines and homing mines. It’s going to be the kiting ship of Scam Shitizen, assuming they ever get the mines to work properly. And it looks dope af. It’s going to be hard to resist this one. And apparently those are size 7 guns?

It'd be much cheaper for you to buy Homeworld/Homeworld 2 and receive a real-time lesson in why mines and weapons platforms are absolute garbage in military space strategy. The bonus is that the purchase of those games comes with an actual game.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 11:46:22 PM by Rushy »

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #387 on: August 25, 2019, 01:12:15 AM »

It'd be much cheaper for you to buy Homeworld/Homeworld 2 and receive a real-time lesson in why mines and weapons platforms are absolute garbage in military space strategy. The bonus is that the purchase of those games comes with an actual game.

Yes, I'll play Homeworld/Homeworld 2 to see how mines will work in Star Citizen.

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: August 25, 2019, 04:18:32 PM »
Yes, I'll play Homeworld/Homeworld 2 to see how mines will work in Star Citizen.

Considering that the way they work in the Homeworld series is the way that the memelayer powerpoint described them to work, I'm not sure what your point is. You drop them and they will propel themselves towards an enemy target that flies into range. However, considering this is space we're talking about, the enemy tends to just shoot them down or go around them. If you bother playing any strategy games, you'll quickly realize why mines are awful ideas in a space theater. The amount of resources and planning that goes into laying space mines is never worth the advantage you obtain with them. There's no reason to waste crew on a Nautilus when the same amount of people could crew another Polaris or Hammerhead, both of which would be more effective even in a defensive posture and don't require the assumption that your enemy is dumb enough to fly straight into a floating minefield.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Standalone-Ships/Aegis-Nautilus-Solstice-Limited-Edition-Warbond

Here's the link to the store page if you absolutely need to give Roberts another 675 dollarydoos.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 04:35:18 PM by Rushy »

Offline Dr David Thork

• https://onlyfans.com/thork
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: August 25, 2019, 04:50:53 PM »
Something that actually will be good and delivered on time without any money beforehand ...

Rate this post.      👍 6     👎 1

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #390 on: August 25, 2019, 06:07:53 PM »

Considering that the way they work in the Homeworld series is the way that the memelayer powerpoint described them to work, I'm not sure what your point is. You drop them and they will propel themselves towards an enemy target that flies into range. However, considering this is space we're talking about, the enemy tends to just shoot them down or go around them. If you bother playing any strategy games, you'll quickly realize why mines are awful ideas in a space theater. The amount of resources and planning that goes into laying space mines is never worth the advantage you obtain with them. There's no reason to waste crew on a Nautilus when the same amount of people could crew another Polaris or Hammerhead, both of which would be more effective even in a defensive posture and don't require the assumption that your enemy is dumb enough to fly straight into a floating minefield.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Standalone-Ships/Aegis-Nautilus-Solstice-Limited-Edition-Warbond

Here's the link to the store page if you absolutely need to give Roberts another 675 dollarydoos.

Obviously it depends on how easily the mines can be targeted, the proximity to enemy ships that causes them to activate, how much damage they do and how many you can deploy at once etc. They probably won’t be targetable in hibernation mode. If a Nautilus sees an HH coming after it it can just run away while deploying homing mines. If the HH decides to chase it’s going to get hit with mines and S7 guns. If the HH decides to fuck off, the Nautilus can still harass it with its main turret. Pretty classic kiting gameplay.

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: August 25, 2019, 06:26:16 PM »
Obviously it depends on how easily the mines can be targeted, the proximity to enemy ships that causes them to activate, how much damage they do and how many you can deploy at once etc. They probably won’t be targetable in hibernation mode. If a Nautilus sees an HH coming after it it can just run away while deploying homing mines. If the HH decides to chase it’s going to get hit with mines and S7 guns. If the HH decides to fuck off, the Nautilus can still harass it with its main turret. Pretty classic kiting gameplay.

A Hammerhead is an anti-fighter corvette. What would really happen is the Hammerhead runs away and a Polaris or Retaliator destroys you from 20km away. Again, you need to play something like Homeworld to understand why "kiting" strategies simply don't work in space combat. Also, the S7 guns are on the front of the Nautilus. You can't deploy mines behind you and be simultaneously facing the enemy with the S7 guns. How you're imagining your minelaying playing out and how it actually does in a real-time scenario are worlds apart from each other.

This will be an interesting ship to appear in SQ42 with some "get through the minefield" mission. It will be worthless in the PU.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 06:28:24 PM by Rushy »

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #392 on: August 25, 2019, 07:06:00 PM »

A Hammerhead is an anti-fighter corvette. What would really happen is the Hammerhead runs away and a Polaris or Retaliator destroys you from 20km away. Again, you need to play something like Homeworld to understand why "kiting" strategies simply don't work in space combat. Also, the S7 guns are on the front of the Nautilus. You can't deploy mines behind you and be simultaneously facing the enemy with the S7 guns. How you're imagining your minelaying playing out and how it actually does in a real-time scenario are worlds apart from each other.

This will be an interesting ship to appear in SQ42 with some "get through the minefield" mission. It will be worthless in the PU.

The “just dodge the mines” logic is pretty bad though, especially if you’re in a huge ship and have to fly 2-3km to avoid them. I’m sure they will be quite good at locking onto large ships. Meanwhile, the Nautilus can do whatever it wants. I just think it’s a neat concept, and obviously balance passes will prevent it from being useless. It’s certainly more interesting than the dull and uninspired Polaris.

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: August 25, 2019, 09:28:47 PM »
The “just dodge the mines” logic is pretty bad though, especially if you’re in a huge ship and have to fly 2-3km to avoid them. I’m sure they will be quite good at locking onto large ships. Meanwhile, the Nautilus can do whatever it wants. I just think it’s a neat concept, and obviously balance passes will prevent it from being useless. It’s certainly more interesting than the dull and uninspired Polaris.

Flying 2-3 km to avoid mines is not a very big obstacle when you're in space. Even large ships like the 890J can quickly maneuver distances that small.

Balance passes won't prevent them from being useless, as I've just explained this is a strategic problem, not one that can be overcome by just making the mines OP. Laying minefields in space is not a good strategy under anything but the most narrow conditions (e.g. if you could lay thousands of mines around a space station). I doubt CIG intends on letting players lay out thousands of these things. This is just another ship concept that CIG has failed to think through in terms of multiplayer gameplay. How CIG thinks space combat should work and how it actually plays out is a gulf that widens with every update.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 09:31:24 PM by Rushy »

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #394 on: August 26, 2019, 05:24:03 PM »

Flying 2-3 km to avoid mines is not a very big obstacle when you're in space. Even large ships like the 890J can quickly maneuver distances that small.

Balance passes won't prevent them from being useless, as I've just explained...

I better go tell the developers not to even bother with it then. Rushy has already decided its fate. lols

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: August 26, 2019, 08:03:56 PM »
I better go tell the developers not to even bother with it then. Rushy has already decided its fate. lols

I mean, have you even played Scam Shitizen? CIG's idea of "balance passes" is to alternate between making something ridiculously OP in one patch and utterly useless in the next. Meanwhile, they add new broken features faster than they can pretend to be fixing the existing ones.

You'd have to be delusional to assume this ship is going to be useful for any purpose except Chris Roberts's yacht fund.

Offline Dr David Thork

• https://onlyfans.com/thork
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: August 27, 2019, 10:49:42 PM »
Recently, Forbes had the following to say about star citizen

Quote from: https://www.forbes.com/sites/mattperez/2019/05/01/exclusive-the-saga-of-star-citizen-a-video-game-that-raised-300-millionbut-may-never-be-ready-to-play/
And Roberts has enticed gamers with a steady stream of hype, including promising a vast, playable universe with “100 star systems.” But most of the money is gone, and the game is still far from finished. At the end of 2017, for example, Roberts was down to just $14 million in the bank. He has since raised more money. Those 100 star systems? He has not completed a single one. So far he has two mostly finished planets, nine moons and an asteroid.

Ho Lee Fuk.

Quote from: https://www.forbes.com/sites/mattperez/2019/05/01/exclusive-the-saga-of-star-citizen-a-video-game-that-raised-300-millionbut-may-never-be-ready-to-play/
At one point, Roberts set the release date for Squadron 42 in the fall of 2015, with a full commercial version of Star Citizen coming in 2016. Roberts now says a beta version of Squadron 42 will come out in 2020 and has stopped trying to guess when Star Citizen will happen.
  :o

Rate this post.      👍 6     👎 1

Rama Set

« Reply #397 on: August 28, 2019, 12:18:56 AM »
It’s so surprising.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: August 28, 2019, 10:38:55 AM »

None of this is news.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: August 28, 2019, 03:34:53 PM »

None of this is news.

I think it is for the people who may be casually following the game's (lack of) progress. Not everyone is blessed to follow the scam daily like we do in IRC.