Offline model 29

• View Profile
Re: Waves, Dimes and Elephants.
« Reply #80 on: April 04, 2018, 03:49:30 AM »
I rather enjoy easy experiments like this.  I have some stuff laying around I can make a water level out of, and will get some pictures or video when I ride up a mountain nearby again in a week or two.  I'll even center the camera on the water level, with both mounted on tripods.

Offline Tontogary

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 05, 2018, 08:19:08 AM »
And i can even provide a set of tables which will quantify the dif for elevation.

They are from Norris’s nautical tables first published in 1805 when Rowbotham was not even a twinkle in his daddies eye, but more importantly they have stood the test of time, and literally millions of navigators have used them. Without them navigation would not work.....

Also, if you haven't heard of bronies before, that reflects poorly on your understanding of the world that surrounds you. It's practically impossible not to know about them.

HorstFue

« Reply #82 on: April 05, 2018, 06:31:39 PM »
And i can even provide a set of tables which will quantify the dif for elevation.

They are from Norris’s nautical tables first published in 1805 when Rowbotham was not even a twinkle in his daddies eye, but more importantly they have stood the test of time, and literally millions of navigators have used them. Without them navigation would not work.....

Navigation is no problem without the table "Distance to light appearing at Horizon"
There's a easy formula to calculate the values in the table. So navigators or hobby sailors like me can also calculate these vales without the tables.
And: I very seldom use these distance calculation, as often - due to variable atmospheric refraction, tides, waves - more accurate distances can be derived from other navigation means (besides GPS, e.g. triangulation or dead reckoning).

AH sorry, I should have read the attachment first.
"Dip of Sea horizon", Yes, essential for astronavigation with sextant
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 06:44:13 PM by HorstFue »

Offline Tontogary

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 06, 2018, 12:43:32 AM »

Navigation is no problem without the table "Distance to light appearing at Horizon"
There's a easy formula to calculate the values in the table. So navigators or hobby sailors like me can also calculate these vales without the tables.
And: I very seldom use these distance calculation, as often - due to variable atmospheric refraction, tides, waves - more accurate distances can be derived from other navigation means (besides GPS, e.g. triangulation or dead reckoning).

AH sorry, I should have read the attachment first.
"Dip of Sea horizon", Yes, essential for astronavigation with sextant

Without the use of dip to the horizon, all Navigation calculations are off by a fairly large amount, in the case of my ship with 34M hieght of eye, the error will be over 10 miles for each position line, making it impossible to find the vessels position.

Proof enough methinks!

Also, if you haven't heard of bronies before, that reflects poorly on your understanding of the world that surrounds you. It's practically impossible not to know about them.