Offline beardo

• View Profile
Re: Just Watched
« Reply #1580 on: May 02, 2016, 05:29:31 AM »
Watching it later tonight.
Actually, they screen it earlier today, so I'll go watch it while most people are still at work. Hopefully the movie theater will still be mostly empty then.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 07:07:24 AM by beardo »
The Mastery.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: May 02, 2016, 03:08:11 PM »
Captain America: Civil War
9/10, was good.
The Mastery.

Rama Set

« Reply #1582 on: May 04, 2016, 03:53:33 AM »
Almost done mu binge viewing of ST:VOY.  "In The Blink Of An Eye" is by far my favorite episode.  The series as a whole does a nice job at developing the characters, and I enjoyed the exoticness of the Delta Quadrant.  One beef though: the Prime Directive was supposed to prohibit interference in the development of pre-warp civilizations, but somehow it has become a blanket non-interference policy.  It makes them seem impassive and self-righteous for no good reason.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: May 05, 2016, 11:49:23 AM »
Almost done mu binge viewing of ST:VOY.  "In The Blink Of An Eye" is by far my favorite episode.  The series as a whole does a nice job at developing the characters, and I enjoyed the exoticness of the Delta Quadrant.  One beef though: the Prime Directive was supposed to prohibit interference in the development of pre-warp civilizations, but somehow it has become a blanket non-interference policy.  It makes them seem impassive and self-righteous for no good reason.

The Prime Directive only seemed to apply when the plot needed it - regardless of a species' warp-capabilities.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: May 05, 2016, 11:59:48 AM »
The Prime Directive only seemed to apply when the plot needed it - regardless of a species' warp-capabilities.

Yeah, but that's also true of literally every other thing in Star Trek.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Rama Set

« Reply #1585 on: May 05, 2016, 03:10:21 PM »

Yeah, but that's also true of literally every other thing in Star Trek.

Maybe I am remembering incorrectly, but I thought TNG, when invoking the Prime Directive, always applied it to pre-warp civilizations.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #1586 on: May 07, 2016, 02:36:18 AM »
Captain America: Civil War (Anthony and Joe Russo, 2016)

You really have to feel bad for the folks behind BvS.  The dust had barely settled on the critical mauling their movie got when this one came out, and it does everything that BvS was trying to do (seriously, the movies have quite a lot in common, even beyond the same basic idea of superheroes fighting each other) so, so much better.  Character motivations make sense, and it isn't hard to sympathize with both sides of the conflict.  The writing is solid, too - I won't pretend that it's an intellectual powerhouse of a movie, but there are a few interesting ideas there.  It has some of the darkest moments of the film side of the MCU, but there's also a fair amount of humor to lighten the mood, which flows naturally from the personalities of the characters and isn't simply Whedon-style "everyone is a sassy backtalker." (I should really stop complaining about Whedon.)  The action is great, and extremely imaginative, particularly in the climax at the airport where they ditched the gritty shaky-cam aesthetic of the earlier fight scenes and just showed everyone pounding each other.  For some reason, I was expecting the characters to all just pair off and fight one-on-one with someone on the other team, and was delighted to see them constantly switching up who was fighting who.

On the notion of the new characters.  The new Spider-Man is a lot of fun, and it's nice that he actually looks like a young teenager.  Black Panther is pretty awesome too - the actor carries himself with a palpable sense of dignity and nobility that helps sell him as royalty, and the way that he moves and fights really stands out with its uniqueness.  And then there's the villain, who...didn't really need to be in the movie, honestly.  The main conflict is kept between Cap and Tony, which I feel is to the movie's credit (unlike a certain other capeshit movie that backed out of its promised titular fight and gave us a shitty generic villain for the heroes to team up against instead), but it does leave the villain seeming rather superfluous.  A few fairly minor changes to the screenplay and he could have been cut entirely.

Anyway, it's a great movie.  All you capeshit fans go see it, if you haven't already.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: May 07, 2016, 06:51:04 AM »
I really didn't like how they turned the villain from a powerful evil Hydra baron with a purple hood into a weaseling Sokovian nerdy-looking colonel.
The Mastery.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: May 07, 2016, 11:59:02 PM »
So I just watched CA:CW, or what seemed to be more Avengers 2.5. It was pretty good overall. I didn't care for the repeated premise of getting the Avengers to fight amongst themselves again, but I thought the CA/IM conflict was pretty powerful. Hopefully this gets the team's internal conflict out of the way for Avengers 3 so they can do something a bit more original. The most enjoyable character for me by far was Spider-Man, it was really well done. I care less and less for Tony Stark's character. He's incredibly inconsistent across the different movies in his motivations, but it isn't enough to detract from enjoying this movie.

I will say I find it funny that BvS got crucified for using "Martha" as a device to move the plot forward, while Captain America has a similar moment with "Bucky" at the beginning of the movie that sets the stage for the ensuing plot.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #1589 on: May 08, 2016, 12:41:05 AM »
I really didn't like how they turned the villain from a powerful evil Hydra baron with a purple hood into a weaseling Sokovian nerdy-looking colonel.

That wouldn't have fit tonally in a movie like this, and it would have pretty much confirmed that the movie division of the MCU doesn't give a shit about the television side and its supposed canonicity.  Also, very minor point, but I wish they hadn't included the obnoxious, arrogant "No, you move" line from the abysmal comic that this movie was (very, very loosely) based on.

I will say I find it funny that BvS got crucified for using "Martha" as a device to move the plot forward, while Captain America has a similar moment with "Bucky" at the beginning of the movie that sets the stage for the ensuing plot.

Are you talking about the scene with Crossbones?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 09:01:18 PM by Saddam Hussein »

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1590 on: May 08, 2016, 12:54:29 AM »
Yes, the scene with Crossbones. I acknowledged it at first but didn't think Much of it. Then, Captain America takes the blame because he heard the name and turned into a retarded kid again.

It was just as nonsensical of a plot device as it was in BvS, which became more apparent when the Avengers were being shown the damage they caused. The giant battle in New York, dropping a city, and oh yeah this other thing that was totally the tipping point and why the Avengers need oversight.

George

« Reply #1591 on: May 09, 2016, 10:45:48 PM »
The Fast and the Furious (Rob Cohen, 2001)

For a movie that's very clearly trying to be Point Break, this is...okay.  The best thing it has going for it are the characters, who do seem like fairly realistic, flawed people you could genuinely see turning to crime to pay the bills.  What works against this movie, however, is the fact that it seems to be more interested in cars themselves rather than actual driving or racing.  A huge amount of time is devoted to the camera lovingly poring over every detail of the various cars, the characters staring lovingly at the cars, the characters talking lovingly about their cars in technical terms that most people would have difficulty understanding - and while I don't know enough about cars to judge, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if all the shop-talk turned out to be gibberish, like the nonsense that most cop shows spew out about computers and the Internet.

2 Fast 2 Furious (John Singleton, 2003)

Undoubtedly a very stupid movie, and it suffers from the lack of Vin Diesel, but I found it to be a slight improvement on the first.  It wisely went for a less-ambitious story of a straight undercover operation against a clear-cut villain, and reduced the weird car-ogling in favor of more driving setpieces.

The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift (Justin Lin, 2006)

This isn't just the worst movie in the series; it's one of the worst movies that I've ever seen in my life.  Where to even begin?  It squanders the potentially-interesting setting of Tokyo by mostly keeping the action in tiny, cramped buildings and dingy, butt-ugly parking garages.  There's an entirely new cast of characters, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but the only one of them who's even a little interesting is killed before the third act, and the rest of them are just obnoxious.  The main character in particular (who happens to be a mighty whitey, because why wouldn't he be) is an incredibly unlikable spoiled teenage douchebag who spends the entire movie being inexplicably rewarded for smashing things to pieces and generally fucking up.  The acting and writing are abysmal.  The racing is mostly confined to precise power-sliding, which is absolutely no fun to watch.  And it's also the most overtly sexist movie of the series, with women being treated (multiple times) as possessions that can be gambled, stolen, and won.  It was a fucking chore to watch this piece of shit, and I honestly fucking regret poisoning my brain with it.

Fast & Furious (Justin Lin, 2009)

We're back to following the adventures of Vin Diesel and Paul Walker, and we're back to another undercover story.  There's a lot of repeated material here, but I think what makes it work (more or less) are the characters, like with the first two movies.  Nobody's going to argue that Diesel and Walker are fantastic actors with varied ranges, but what they do have is enough charm to make them likable and sympathetic even as they break the law and show a dubious sense of morality.  And once again, there's plenty of solid driving action.  It's not a great movie, but like the first two, it's an okay one.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 06:33:28 PM by George »

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: May 16, 2016, 06:49:08 PM »
Spoiler tags apparently don't like it when you nest other tags inside them, so consider this your spoiler wanking
Marvel's Daredevil (Season 2)

It was kind of predictable that this wouldn't live up to the first season. I mean, it does a good job, but it feels comparatively lightweight. Whether that's because of the writing, some of the sillier elements of the plot, or the simple fact that Wilson Fisk isn't beheading people with car doors... Well, as it turns out, when you take a scene like that and turn it into fifty guys getting sliced, diced, having their heads blown off with shotguns, and saying the words "shit" and "asshole" every other line, you kind of lose a bit of the shock. It doesn't help that the gore is mostly pretty obvious CGI. While there is some spectacular action with Daredevil himself, such as the fight with the biker gang in the apartment building, the fight scenes with other vigilantes get to be bloodbaths very quickly, and all too often the CGI just can't quite keep up. The show does occasionally manage to recapture some of the impact of Fisk's outbursts, mostly with the more up close and personal moments of Punisher's grizzly revenge scenes, but it's too often drowned out by the massive carnage in each episode.

The shit-and-asshole salsa that serves as the main condiment for this thirteen course meal gets to be a bit much, but with the writers having had previously to write "I'll flip you up, you flipping motherflipper" every time a scene called for salty language, it's understandable why they would want to let loose, let the audience know that they're more x-treme this time around. I specifically recall a scene in the first episode in which two cops at a crime scene keep saying "shit look at what they did to these assholes" and then the black one looks at a kevlar vest on a dead body, shakes his head and says "this shit is thicker than my dick," then he looks around some more and says "shit" twenty more times. I swear like a sailor, so this is not a matter of having my quaint little church-going old woman ears assailed by rudeness, but there's an art to writing good sweary dialogue. The Coen brothers can do it, David Mamet can do it, Quentin Tarantino can do it when he's actually trying — the writers of this show could probably do it if they weren't so keen to show off the fact that they're allowed to do it, but unfortunately that phase hadn't passed by the time they wrote the final draft of the script.

It's not all bad, in fact where this season doesn't do worse than its predecessor it generally surpasses it. The trio of protagonists have plenty to do and they do it well, and it's well written — I feel like I believe in those characters of Murdock, Nelson, and Page, probably more so than I did last time around. The Punisher is a really cool addition, I like how much care and attention they give to his background and his psychology, and just all around they manage to make a character that could easily have been a Rambo into a three-dimensional, complex, interesting person. I was really into his side of the story in general, Elektrik Nachos, on the other hand, wasn't so fun to be around. I understand her relevance to Daredevil and why she's there, but I just find her general demeanour annoying and every time she's on screen I spend more time trying to figure out what the fuck is up with her English-Chinese-German-Australian accent than what's going on with her as a character ─ not to mention her costume makes her look like she just walked out of Mortal Kombat: Conquest, which I guess is kind of relevant given the cheesy ninja bad guys. All in all Ms Chips 'n' Cheese just doesn't quite work for me as the conflicted femme fatale of the piece.

This season has more tonal problems than the first, and a lot of that has to do with the silly mystical ninja things, particularly how that doesn't really contrast well with the straight-faced crime drama feel of the show. I understand that it's Marvel, and some amount of silliness is to be taken for granted ─ the first season had stuff like Kung-Fu Grandma, after all ─ but now the show feels like it's trying to be darker than it has been in the past, and that is upset to some extent by stuff like this: "Hey Stick I'm being followed and attacked by ninjas literally all the time, what's up with that?" / "haha matt lemme tell u about this awesome godfrey ho movie i watched last night :^)" / "God damn it Stick!" and then it turns out to be true. I know the whole Black Sky thing was brought up in the previous season, I just wasn't expecting the next stage of that story to be quite so amazingly goofy. Like, I can get behind goofy, but this is all a bit much.

Despite my problems with this season, Daredevil is still a really cool show, and shows that you can indeed do dark and gritty capeshit without being awful like Snack Zyder. Overall I think it's not as good as it used to be, mainly because it's less grounded than it used to be, which I guess is to be expected, but it still works, in some ways better than ever, and it remains probably the best thing I've seen from Marvel so far.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 08:21:33 PM by Crudblud »

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: May 16, 2016, 07:50:32 PM »
Elektra a shit.
The Mastery.

George

« Reply #1594 on: May 16, 2016, 09:17:10 PM »
The shit-and-asshole salsa that serves as the main condiment for this thirteen course meal gets to be a bit much, but with the writers having had previously to write "I'll flip you up, you flipping motherflipper" every time a scene called for salty language, it's understandable why they would want to let loose, let the audience know that they're more x-treme this time around. I specifically recall a scene in the first episode in which two cops at a crime scene keep saying "shit look at what they did to these assholes" and then the black one looks at a kevlar vest on a dead body, shakes his head and says "this shit is thicker than my dick," then he looks around some more and says "shit" twenty more times. I swear like a sailor, so this is not a matter of having my quaint little church-going old woman ears assailed by rudeness, but there's an art to writing good sweary dialogue. The Coen brothers can do it, David Mamet can do it, Quentin Tarantino can do it when he's actually trying — the writers of this show could probably do it if they weren't so keen to show off the fact that they're allowed to do it, but unfortunately that phase hadn't passed by the time they wrote the final draft of the script.

I agree with this.  I think a big part of the problem is that they're very clearly not allowed to use the word "fuck" beyond one muttering of it per season.  I have been jeered at in the past for raising this subject, as well as asked if I think that the use of the word is somehow critical to the quality of any show, but when they're trying to go for such a gritty, sweary, and unmistakably adult vibe, the lack of one of the most frequently-used swearwords (IRL) really stands out and makes them look silly.

Punisher's grizzly revenge scenes

What is Castle's problem with bears?

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Just Watched
« Reply #1595 on: May 19, 2016, 03:01:30 AM »
The Darkness

Holy shit, this is objectively the worst movie I have ever seen. I'm talking House of the Dead with random video game cutaways was 10000 times better.

Poor acting. Too long even though it was only 90 minutes or so. None of the plot devices made any sense. The character development had to be a literal joke. I almost walked out. But between tickets and snacks, I had invested over $40. Jesus Christ this was awful. I really don't know what to say. Shame on Kevin Bacon.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: May 19, 2016, 05:55:07 AM »
Just finished watching the penultimate episode of the Flash's second season, and the two-part finale of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s third season.

It's interesting, seeing how these shows have branched. Season one of S.H.I.E.L.D. was okay-to-bad, up until near the end, whereas the Flash was immediately one of the best capeshit shows I'd ever seen. The former had cardboard characters, flimsy plots, spectacularly disjointed and boring monster-of-the-week formats. The latter had fantastic characters, a narrative that embraced the goofiness of comics but kept the heart, which gave it grounding to make me shed a lot of tears, and solid writing.

Then in the last few episodes of season one onwards, S.H.I.E.L.D. became a good show, and in seasons two to three became a good show that occasionally became great. Everything picked up, characters got fleshed out, the writing improved, stakes rose naturally and realistically, everything just fit together.

And the Flash...well, somewhere along the line in the first half of season two, it just...completely fell apart. I can't think of another show my opinion of changed so drastically from love to loathe. Everyone makes insanely stupid, unfathomable decisions; everything's contrived and I'm convinced the writers don't plan beyond a few episodes; the story just kind of drags along in an attempt to set a record for the biggest trainwreck possible; mostly, again, everyone's become absolutely fucking retarded.

To tie these together, the S.H.I.E.L.D. finale was absolutely fantastic. Two of the best episodes the show has ever put out, and probably two of the best episodes of capeshit I've watched. Everything was resolved, loose ends tied up gracefully and naturally; there were "ah-ha!" and "holy shit" moments that were shocking, but absolutely set up in the smaller details; they even hilariously culminated a running joke that had popped up a few times a little over a season. The best part was the game of narrative hot potato played over the last few episodes with a single plot device, where literally saw the ending of the season, but not enough of it to fully grasp or understand it until we pieced it together. Knowing just enough to follow that single plot device with nervous anticipation as it moved from character to character.

Now, the Flash finale is next week. And I simply cannot fathom a way it can not absolutely suck. Either it's going to be a gloriously bad clusterfuck, a disjointed mess that features "shocking" twists for the sake of "shocking" twists...or it's going to end on a horribly bad cliffhanger in the hopes that the writers can write their way out of it in the next season. Unless they pull some seriously well-hidden gun that Chekhov buried too well to notice (or possibly, in this case, Chekhov's man-in-a-glass-cage), it just cannot end well. I hope it does. I want to love this show. I want to feel for it like I did in season one. I just can't see how they can manage to make this unorganized mess of meandering plot points, character arcs, nonsensical decisions and forced, manufactured drama into a fitting conclusion. It's gonna take a miracle.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: May 19, 2016, 12:24:08 PM »
The Darkness

Holy shit, this is objectively the worst movie I have ever seen. I'm talking House of the Dead with random video game cutaways was 10000 times better.

Poor acting. Too long even though it was only 90 minutes or so. None of the plot devices made any sense. The character development had to be a literal joke. I almost walked out. But between tickets and snacks, I had invested over $40. Jesus Christ this was awful. I really don't know what to say. Shame on Kevin Bacon.

Is this by regular movie standards or horror movie standards?
Horror movies are usually pretty bad, so I just wanna check that you're judging it based on that.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: May 19, 2016, 02:22:36 PM »
The Darkness

Is this by regular movie standards or horror movie standards?
Horror movies are usually pretty bad, so I just wanna check that you're judging it based on that.

It is the worst I've ever seen using either standard. Horror movies usually are bad because it is incredibly difficult to do well. I definitely go in expecting that. However, I enjoy going and seeing cheesy horror flicks occasionally, just for fun. Usually there is some redeeming quality to be found. Not in this case :(

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: May 19, 2016, 02:30:58 PM »
It is the worst I've ever seen using either standard. Horror movies usually are bad because it is incredibly difficult to do well. I definitely go in expecting that. However, I enjoy going and seeing cheesy horror flicks occasionally, just for fun. Usually there is some redeeming quality to be found. Not in this case :(
I'll still watch it eventually but that is a shame. I was really looking forward to a movie about skinwalkers.

And it's the same director who did Wolf Creek, which was a pretty terrifying movie. :/