Online juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Junker is Getting a New Phone
« on: October 06, 2016, 08:41:43 PM »
What should I get?

I'm done with Apple. I've been rocking the iPhone for a while now. OG iPhone, then moved to an Evo 4G. Moved back with the 4S, then to the Nexus S. Got the iPhone 5, 5s, 6 Plus, back to a regular 6, 6S Plus, then back to a regular 6 (from changing jobs).

I can't deal with Apple anymore. The software is shit. iOS 10 has crippled my 6. I literally moved SU to a Nexus 5X yesterday from her iPhone 6.

I was considering a Pixel, but it just isn't worth the money. There isn't much difference between the Snapdragon 820/821. I don't want full time cloud surveillance so that is what eliminated the Pixel. I tinker a bit when I roll Android so that eliminates Samsung phones with their locked boot loader. I've got it narrowed to the HTC 10, LG G5, or maybe the OnePlus3 or Axon 7. May wait to see the LG V20.

Never going to do Windows Phone, so that's out. What phone should I get?

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
Re: Junker is Getting a New Phone
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 11:10:05 PM »
Don't go Android. If "the software is shit" is your reason for not using Apple, Android will only disappoint you.

This looks interesting: https://jolla.com/jolla

I haven't used one and only first heard about it yesterday, so I can't personally vouch for it. But it looks interesting. Seems to be all out of stock at the moment, and only ships to European countries when it's not, but you could probably get a European FESer to forward it on.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Online juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 11:51:23 PM »
Don't go Android. If "the software is shit" is your reason for not using Apple, Android will only disappoint you.

This looks interesting: https://jolla.com/jolla

I haven't used one and only first heard about it yesterday, so I can't personally vouch for it. But it looks interesting. Seems to be all out of stock at the moment, and only ships to European countries when it's not, but you could probably get a European FESer to forward it on.

I can at least customize Android to an extent. I've used multiple Android phones so I know what to expect. I can also get a variety of hardware specs. The HTC 10 looks intriguing from that perspective.

The Jolla has been out of stock for months. I wanted to buy one a long time ago, but unless you got in early, seems there was no chance. The Sailfish OS looked interesting and had me excited until I realized I can't buy one.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 12:22:43 AM »
I've used multiple Android phones so I know what to expect.

It's gotten worse. If modern Android were still developed like 2.x or even 4.x, I wouldn't have such a big problem with it.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 12:33:59 AM »
I've only bought Motorola phones, so I can attest to the fact that at the very least, I've never had one explode.

I have the Droid Turbo, but apparently they have the Turbo 2 now. https://www.motorola.com/us/products/droid-smartphones

Online juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 01:14:42 AM »
I've used multiple Android phones so I know what to expect.

It's gotten worse. If modern Android were still developed like 2.x or even 4.x, I wouldn't have such a big problem with it.

Can you be more specific about this? I haven't had Android as a daily driver since 2.x followed by 4.x

I've only bought Motorola phones, so I can attest to the fact that at the very least, I've never had one explode.

I have the Droid Turbo, but apparently they have the Turbo 2 now. https://www.motorola.com/us/products/droid-smartphones

Specs are decent, but if I remember correctly Motorola is awful about updates.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 04:56:11 AM »
I have an htc m9.  Love it.  Plus you can but it unlocked and rooted.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Online juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2016, 10:20:02 AM »

Yeah, HTC makes it very easy to unlock the boot loader. The specs on the HTC 10 may be too hard to pass up.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2016, 01:38:12 PM »

Yeah, HTC makes it very easy to unlock the boot loader. The specs on the HTC 10 may be too hard to pass up.
Well, what are you going to do with it?  How much power do you need?
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Online juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2016, 02:50:41 PM »

I don't really "need" much power. I just want a smooth experience. iOS 10 turned my 6 into a laggy piece of shit. I don't really game or watch videos on my phone much, but I do a lot of music.

If I'm going to drop money on a new phone though, I want good specs, so the Snapdragon 820 and 4GB of RAM is a good start. I'd prefer expandable storage. The HTC 10 has the best audio hardware I see in any phone available right now, so that will probably be the deciding factor.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2016, 03:44:09 PM »

I don't really "need" much power. I just want a smooth experience. iOS 10 turned my 6 into a laggy piece of shit. I don't really game or watch videos on my phone much, but I do a lot of music.

If I'm going to drop money on a new phone though, I want good specs, so the Snapdragon 820 and 4GB of RAM is a good start. I'd prefer expandable storage. The HTC 10 has the best audio hardware I see in any phone available right now, so that will probably be the deciding factor.
My M9 has 2 front facing speakers so the sound is nice and loud.  The M10 doesn't have the front facing but eh.

As for smooth..
It's smooth.  Battery draining though.  With power save mode, you can tell the difference.  Like 15 fps vs 30.  Still very usable but not as smooth on transitions.  I actually use battery save all the time and aside from the screen being too dim to see outside (only if battery save is on) I don't have a problem.

Power wise: I had dosbox running doom.  Worked like a champ.  Not saying much, I know but it worked smoothly.

Online juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Junker is Getting a New Phone
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2016, 08:20:08 PM »
After many hours of internal debate, I've ordered a HTC 10. Carrier unlocked, ordered directly from HTC. Should be here early next week sometime. I'll post back with my opinion of the phone stock. Then I'm going to unlock and go wild with custom ROMs.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 09:05:43 PM by junker »

Online juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2016, 09:06:36 PM »
My HTC 10 has shipped. Should be here Wednesday.

Got it at the right time since it was $150 off and is now back to its regular price.

Online juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2016, 02:14:14 AM »
Got my HTC 10 today.

Jesus Christ the quality of this phone is incredible. How did I ever use an iPhone before?...

The current version of Sense seamlessly integrates into Android (by comparing my phone to SU's pure Android Nexus 5X). The audio is great; the low and high speakers make a respectable media device standalone. The 24-bit DAC and higher output amp for the headphones results in the best music experience on any phone I've ever interacted with. The rest of the specs are top-end; SD 820 CPU, 4GB RAM, etc. I ordered a 128GB micro SDXC to add to the 32GB on-board storage.

HTC has a real winner here. Hopefully the Note 7 debacle pushes a few more people toward this phone. Going to finish getting it setup the way I want with the stock ROM and then take a backup. After that, I will be testing out the LeeDroid and Viper ROMs.

If you need a new phone, get this one. Good luck and godspeed.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2016, 06:06:37 PM »
You should have bought a Galaxy Note 7. It's the hottest phone out right now.

As for me, the 6 Plus is only my second smartphone. A couple months back I dropped it on some concrete, and it didn't have a case so the screen shattered. But I put a strip of clear packing tape over it and everything still works normally. iOS 10 does run a little poorly on it, but I expected that much with the 6 Plus only having 1GB of RAM. I'm thinking I'll probably get an iPhone 7 early next year. The new approach to the home button and how it sort of makes the entire lower part of the phone click is pretty sweet.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 06:23:17 PM by Hollocron »

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2016, 02:13:46 AM »
Great, now I have another phone to possibly want. :[

I was going to get the Note 7, it was like my perfect smartphone, but I can't now...so I'm stuck between either the Galaxy S7 Edge, the Google Pixel XL, or now the HTC 10.

Ughhhhhh decisionssssss
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Online juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2016, 03:51:15 AM »

Great, now I have another phone to possibly want. :[

I was going to get the Note 7, it was like my perfect smartphone, but I can't now...so I'm stuck between either the Galaxy S7 Edge, the Google Pixel XL, or now the HTC 10.

Ughhhhhh decisionssssss

GS7E has an AMOLED screen which will inevitably suffer from burn-in. The chances of this increase if you plan on keeping your phone for a few years.

The Pixel XL currently has the best spec and a good camera. But, Google is going the route of Apple now, creating their own little walled garden with the Pixel (abandoning the Nexus line). It also doesn't allow for expandable storage via micro SDXC. If you don't mind spending extra for a higher storage model and storing anything further in Google's cloud, then that is not a deal breaker.

If you want a larger screen then the HTC 10 probably isn't for you, the GS7E And Pixel XL have much larger screens. However, if you want expandable storage along with the best audio experience available on a flagship smartphone, then the 10 is the way to go.

Also, they extended the HTC sale, so you can get it for $150+ less than the GS7E or Pixel.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2016, 10:16:07 PM »
How did I ever use an iPhone before?...

Do you remember yet?

Online juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2016, 11:41:59 PM »
How did I ever use an iPhone before?...

Do you remember yet?
Yeah I'm a cuck to Apple

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2016, 11:44:06 AM »
iOS 10 is now frustrating to use on an iPhone 6, especially Safari. All of these shiny new Android phones are kind of enticing.