Offline Rounder

• What in the Sam Hill are you people talking about?
    • View Profile
Round-earth evidence: the sound from Krakatoa
« on: March 30, 2016, 05:10:08 PM »
On August 27, 1883 the volcanic island of Krakato suffered a cataclysmic eruption.  The sound was loud.  No, it was SUPER LOUD!!!  It ruptured eardrums 40 miles away.  It could be heard by actual human ears at distances of thousands of miles away, the most distant audible sound reported by an observer on an Indian Ocean island 3,000 miles away.  Point is, this sound was YUUUGE!

Sound is an air pressure wave.  Even as the sound level fell below the threshold of human hearing, the sound wave continued to propogate away from the source.  Hours after the blast, the barometers installed at weather stations around the world saw the spike in air pressure as the wave reached their location.  (This is why I used the term "actual human ears" above, to distinguish that observation from the subsequent instrument-based observations). Six hours and 47 minutes after the Krakatoa explosion, a spike of air pressure was detected in Calcutta. By 8 hours, the pulse reached Mauritius in the west and Melbourne and Sydney in the east. By 12 hours, St. Petersburg noticed the pulse, followed by Vienna, Rome, Paris, Berlin, and Munich. By 18 hours the pulse had reached New York, Washington DC, and Toronto.  Amazingly, for as many as 5 days after the explosion, weather stations in 50 cities around the globe observed this unprecedented spike in pressure re-occuring like clockwork, approximately every 34 hours. That is roughly how long it takes sound to travel around the entire planet.

There was great interest in these pressure observations in subsequent years.  In those days any subject of the British Empire who fancied himself to have a certain level of sophistication, especially if one was posted abroad in the Empire, had his own suite of weather instruments.  When it became known that this sound wave was observable in barometric recordings, everybody checked theirs.  And sure enough, from all over the world came reports of amateur observers who had captured one or more pulses. 

Now, the shape of world in 1883 was thought to be round.  These pressure observations from all over the Empire, caused by an event occurring at a known time, provided an opportunity to prove otherwise, were the world some other shape.  However, the timing of the pressure wave's arrival at each barometer corresponded to what one would expect for a globe.
Proud member of İntikam's "Ignore List"
Ok. You proven you are unworthy to unignored. You proven it was a bad idea to unignore you. and it was for me a disgusting experience...Now you are going to place where you deserved and accustomed.
Quote from: SexWarrior
You accuse {FE} people of malice where incompetence suffice

Re: Round-earth evidence: the sound from Krakatoa
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 05:40:28 PM »
On August 27, 1883 the volcanic island of Krakato suffered a cataclysmic eruption.  The sound was loud.  No, it was SUPER LOUD!!!  It ruptured eardrums 40 miles away.  It could be heard by actual human ears at distances of thousands of miles away, the most distant audible sound reported by an observer on an Indian Ocean island 3,000 miles away.  Point is, this sound was YUUUGE!

Sound is an air pressure wave.  Even as the sound level fell below the threshold of human hearing, the sound wave continued to propogate away from the source.  Hours after the blast, the barometers installed at weather stations around the world saw the spike in air pressure as the wave reached their location.  (This is why I used the term "actual human ears" above, to distinguish that observation from the subsequent instrument-based observations). Six hours and 47 minutes after the Krakatoa explosion, a spike of air pressure was detected in Calcutta. By 8 hours, the pulse reached Mauritius in the west and Melbourne and Sydney in the east. By 12 hours, St. Petersburg noticed the pulse, followed by Vienna, Rome, Paris, Berlin, and Munich. By 18 hours the pulse had reached New York, Washington DC, and Toronto.  Amazingly, for as many as 5 days after the explosion, weather stations in 50 cities around the globe observed this unprecedented spike in pressure re-occuring like clockwork, approximately every 34 hours. That is roughly how long it takes sound to travel around the entire planet.

There was great interest in these pressure observations in subsequent years.  In those days any subject of the British Empire who fancied himself to have a certain level of sophistication, especially if one was posted abroad in the Empire, had his own suite of weather instruments.  When it became known that this sound wave was observable in barometric recordings, everybody checked theirs.  And sure enough, from all over the world came reports of amateur observers who had captured one or more pulses. 

Now, the shape of world in 1883 was thought to be round.  These pressure observations from all over the Empire, caused by an event occurring at a known time, provided an opportunity to prove otherwise, were the world some other shape.  However, the timing of the pressure wave's arrival at each barometer corresponded to what one would expect for a globe.

Tell me how the measurements corresponded to a globe earth. Why were they exclusive to a round earth? Are there models for sound waves that curve around a surface? As far as I know sound waves propagate from the source similar to ripples in a body of water.

Some more information is definitely required for this to be true evidence of round earth.

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 11:09:33 PM »

Tell me how the measurements corresponded to a globe earth. Why were they exclusive to a round earth? Are there models for sound waves that curve around a surface? As far as I know sound waves propagate from the source similar to ripples in a body of water.

Some more information is definitely required for this to be true evidence of round earth.

This:

Amazingly, for as many as 5 days after the explosion, weather stations in 50 cities around the globe observed this unprecedented spike in pressure re-occuring like clockwork, approximately every 34 hours. That is roughly how long it takes sound to travel around the entire planet.

The only explanation FEers would be able to make is the "firmament" bouncing off the sound waves. How ignorant.

Offline rabinoz

• Just look South at the Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 02:41:25 AM »

If the earth were flat the sound would propagate to the edge and then what would happen?
  • The sound might simply be absorbed by something (the aether or ???) and not heard again - this did not happen, so maybe
  • the sound was reflected by something at the edge (ice-wall, hardly, dome?) - how would I know? - it was heard for some 5 days, so was reflected!
So, if reflected by "something at the edge" it would cause echoes at all sorts of times, because the distance from Krakatoa to the edge varies from about 9,000 km to 31,000 km.

But was this observed?

No! "Amazingly, for as many as 5 days after the explosion, weather stations in 50 cities around the globe observed this unprecedented spike in pressure re-occuring like clockwork, approximately every 34 hours. That is roughly how long it takes sound to travel around the entire planet."

Now, what about YOU offering something constructive for a change. How could this have happened on a Flat Earth?

It does seem significant to me that so many little things crop up that simply do not fit the Flat Earth.

Offline Rounder

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 01:07:16 PM »
Tell me how the measurements corresponded to a globe earth. Why were they exclusive to a round earth?
Here is the plot of the first sound wave as it travelled around the globe.  The hemisphere illustrated on the right is the globe centered on Krakatoa, the one on the left is the other side of the globe centered on the antipodes of Krakatoa.  (FunFact: it is actually quite rare for the antipode of a given spot of dry land to also be on dry land, but this one is!)

The round and slightly-off-round lines represent simultaneous arrival times, in two hour increments.  The radial lines illustrate the great-circle path from Krakatoa to various recording barometers, and the dots show the locations of those barometers.  The sound wave diverges away from the point of origin, expanding at the speed of sound in all directions until it reaches the distance where the earth's diameter is greatest.  Then it continues propogating away from Krakatoa but in an ever shrinking diameter toward the antipodes.  The wave front becomes non-circular due to various effects such as geography and meteorology, but still shows a clear pattern of expansion on the near side and convergence on the far side. 

By way of analogy: the same pattern forms when immersing a ball in a pool.  The water/ball interface, which represents our sound wave, forms an expanding circle on the ball's surface as you submerge it to the halfway point.  After that, it forms a contracting circle as you submerge the ball fully, vanishing to a point as the last bit of the ball goes under.
Ok. You proven you are unworthy to unignored. You proven it was a bad idea to unignore you. and it was for me a disgusting experience...Now you are going to place where you deserved and accustomed.

Offline Pongo

• Most Educated Flat-Earther
  • Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 01:17:59 PM »
So, if reflected by "something at the edge" it would cause echoes at all sorts of times, because the distance from Krakatoa to the edge varies from about 9,000 km to 31,000 km.

Perhaps this is further proof that Oceania is really the center point of the firmament. More study is required.

Offline rabinoz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 11:21:57 PM »

Perhaps this is further proof that Oceania is really the center point of the firmament. More study is required.
Done
Now you're talkin'!

The map on the right has even got Australia about the right shape and shows both poles!

Tough about Euroasia being on the rim, but who cares about the few people silly enough to live up there - last time I was there (in spring mind you!) is was far too cold for any self-respecting warm blooded Aussie.

Oh with, most of the earth's population live up that area.

So what, all these TFES people couldn't care less about the size and shape of Australia on their silly UN map - let's give them a bit of their own back.

Australia on North Polar Equidistant Azimuthal Map

Map created by Request an Azimuthal Map

Equidistant Azimuthal Map Centred on Krakatoa

Offline Rounder

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 03:52:46 AM »
FURTHER proof?  What was the earlier proof?

And if reflections off the firmament are the explanation for the recurring pressure waves, what accounts for their convergence on Columbia, in northwestern South America?

Offline nametaken

• ͡ ͡° ͜ ʖ ͡ ͡°
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 04:33:08 AM »
Now you're talkin'!

Love how Cuba looks like a smear of bird poop on the windshield of the Earth on that image...

And the secrets out... That wasn't an eruption of the sort the history books tell you... that's where I went in the Time Machine after I ate at that one Mexican restaurant that time...

But more (or less) seriously... if there were a dome on a flat Earth, the sound would have to bounce back eventually, right? Like, whoever smelt it dealt it, it doesn't exactly have anywhere to go in a dome, as anyone stuck on a plane with a stinker will tell you.
The Flat Earth Society has members all around the Globe
[H]ominem unius libri timeo ~Truth is stranger.

Offline rabinoz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 04:48:57 AM »
FURTHER proof?  What was the earlier proof?

And if reflections off the firmament are the explanation for the recurring pressure waves, what accounts for their convergence on Columbia, in northwestern South America?
No use coming up with logic, that's too scientific for this place! Maybe the "Ice-Wall" or the "dome" focussed the the sound waves there.
You know about the effective focal length of a spherical mirror being half the radius!

Tell me to shut up because if you do a bit of "ray-tracing" in your head, I think end up about in Columbia (just because both are almost on the equator).
I'll end up a Flat Earther yet - only another 99 steps to go!

Offline rabinoz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2016, 04:51:52 AM »
Now you're talkin'!
that's where I went in the Time Machine after I ate at that one Mexican restaurant that time...
That's probably not where you went after a dodgy restaurant!

Offline Venus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 09:31:53 AM »

Done
Now you're talkin'!

The map on the right has even got Australia about the right shape and shows both poles!

Tough about Euroasia being on the rim, but who cares about the few people silly enough to live up there - last time I was there (in spring mind you!) is was far too cold for any self-respecting warm blooded Aussie.

Oh with, most of the earth's population live up that area.

So what, all these TFES people couldn't care less about the size and shape of Australia on their silly UN map - let's give them a bit of their own back.

Love your map !!! It is obvious from the FE Map currently floating around that Australia is way way out of proportion !!! Why don't any of the Fe supporters realise this??? Perhaps this just shows the ignorance that many FE'ers  have about the rest of the world !!

Nice to see USA all shrivelled up in your map centred on Krakatoa !!
Because I live on the 'bottom' of a spinning spherical earth ...
*I cannot see Polaris, but I can see the Southern Cross
*When I look at the stars they appear to rotate clockwise, not anti-clockwise
*I see the moon 'upside down'
I've travelled to the Northern Hemisphere numerous times ... and seen how different the stars and the moon are 'up' there!
Come on down and check it out FE believers... !!

Offline rabinoz

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2016, 10:08:00 AM »

Done
Now you're talkin'!

Oh well, most of the earth's population live up that area.

Love your map !!! It is obvious from the FE Map currently floating around that Australia is way way out of proportion !!! Why don't any of the Fe supporters realise this??? Perhaps this just shows the ignorance that many FE'ers  have about the rest of the world !!

Nice to see USA all shrivelled up in your map centred on Krakatoa !!
Yes, I'm quite  ;) proud  ;) of that map, has all the important things sorted:
Has Australia about the right shape and shows both poles!
Who cares about the "Western Hemiplane?