Building a PC
« on: April 29, 2021, 10:13:35 PM »
Or, more accurately, spending hours trying to fit my budget...
To be honest, this is the most active forum I actually check, soooo... yeah. I'm asking for help here instead of a dedicated site.

My budget: around $200 (I'm broke and just want to play some video games with my friends)
I already have a PC, monitor, and mouse, but the PC is from the stone age and freezes trying to play the Chrome dino game. My standards aren't high at all, I just want to play some Minecraft at fewer than 60 frames per hour. What should I prioritize? I know next to nothing about PCs and am going to have to do a lot of research to figure out my current specs, as it was my Grandpa's and the manual has been lost to the sands of time.

Offline Dr David Thork

• https://onlyfans.com/thork
    • View Profile
Re: Building a PC
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2021, 10:39:38 PM »
We're going to need more. What do you have now component wise?

Let's hope you have a 4 core processor. An old i5 or above. For £200 spend a little making your RAM up to 8gb, and then spend the rest on the best GPU you can buy right now. Get budget RAM. Don't worry about RAM speeds in this price bracket. The GPU is going to give you all the improvements you desire. Problem is I don't think you could even get a GTX 1060 right now for $170.

You need more than $200. I get it, you're broke. But if you could just get over yourself and swallow a bit of pride, and possibly a bit of spunk too, you could get yourself a much nicer PC. How bad do you want crispy graphics?
Rate this post.      👍 6     👎 1

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2021, 03:27:16 AM »
Your best bet is an Xbox Series S for $300.

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2021, 06:07:12 AM »
You're just going to end up with another paperweight if you try to get something for $200. My advice is to save up or get financing on a more expensive PC, and since you are (if you'll forgive my terrible rudeness) apparently clueless, I'd recommend getting a prebuilt rather than building your own. GPUs are especially difficult to find at reasonable prices right now, but prebuilts with a 1050Ti (a solid budget card from 2016 that can do a lot more than just run Minecraft at a stable framerate) can still be found for around $700.

For example: I found this on Newegg. I'm not saying buy this specific PC, but shop around with these specs and price as a guideline on whatever service you're comfortable with. You may well be able to find a similar or perhaps even better system for less.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 03:31:58 PM by Crudblud »

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2021, 02:45:15 PM »
I'm gonna echo everyone else.  $200 won't even cover a decent cpu. 

Your best bet is either prebuilt, or maybe find used parts on ebay/used pc on ebay.

Or a console.
How much is the switch?
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Rama Set

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2021, 02:46:37 PM »
How much is the switch?

I think 350USD

Offline buddha

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2021, 01:07:03 AM »
$200! maybe 100 years ago.
best you can do it get a second hand good moblie to play games with.
thats what I did. a S9 for 115 pounds.
or find computers people put out for the scrap man.
get lots of them  and find the bits that work.
see you tube on how to put them to gether. 

I put together one from cheap shops
4core 4.2Ghz 16gram M5A 78l-m for 500 ponds

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2021, 07:20:06 AM »
I have a slightly revolting idea.

https://stadia.google.com/

^ You get the first month free so $0 and it costs absolutley nothing to see if it works for you.

Then it is only $9.99 per month after that so for $200 you could have 21 months of playing and you can use your current potato PC.

21 months ... by then the GPU crisis could be over and you'd have had almost 2 years of saving to get yourself something nice. The only potential stopping point ... you need good internet speed - 10 megabits per second (Mbps) or greater.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 07:29:09 AM by Toddler Thork »

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2021, 10:34:59 PM »
Stadia sucks. If you want to go the streaming route, try Shadow instead. You get access to a full PC in the cloud instead of just a game library.

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2021, 09:00:38 AM »
Stadia sucks. If you want to go the streaming route, try Shadow instead. You get access to a full PC in the cloud instead of just a game library.
Oh, is that a thing? Fuck. I think my next PC is going to be an M1 iMac then. There is just no reason not to now.  :(

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2021, 07:31:10 PM »
Oh, is that a thing? Fuck. I think my next PC is going to be an M1 iMac then. There is just no reason not to now.  :(

Yeah, it's very smooth, almost seamless, if you live close-ish to one of their servers and if your computer has a good wireless card. But it looks like there's a super long waitlist, at least where I live. I wouldn't be able to access the service until December here. When I first heard about it I signed up for a month and was able to access it within a day. It has exploded with demand over the last year or so. It looks like the waitlist for the UK is full until 2022.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 07:33:04 PM by Fortuna »

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2021, 07:34:55 PM »
Soooo ... if you can't access it ... why did you suggest it as a solution?   ???

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2021, 07:44:04 PM »
Soooo ... if you can't access it ... why did you suggest it as a solution?   ???

The wait times vary by location. And even if you can't access it now, it may be worthwhile to get on the waitlist for later.

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2021, 08:19:08 PM »
Dear Tim Cook,

I want a 32inch iMac to exist. Don't nerf its USB 3 connections or its internet connections. I know you are going to try to ram your forearm up my arse until I choke on your knuckles, but I want 512Gb hard drive minimum and I don't want to pay hundreds £s more to get it. 8gb RAM will probably do. ... could you do a base model with touch ID and 1GB ethernet for £1700?  :'(

Thanks

Loyal Microsoft sheep wishing to move flocks.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2021, 08:27:26 PM »
Dear Tim Cook,

I want a 32inch iMac to exist. Don't nerf its USB 3 connections or its internet connections. I know you are going to try to ram your forearm up my arse until I choke on your knuckles, but I want 512Gb hard drive minimum and I don't want to pay hundreds £s more to get it. 8gb RAM will probably do. ... could you do a base model with touch ID and 1GB ethernet for £1700?  :'(

Thanks

Loyal Microsoft sheep wishing to move flocks.

Why does it have to be an imac? Why can't you just get a Mac Mini and use whatever monitor you want.

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2021, 08:34:26 PM »
The mac mini's look like utter garbage still. They could redo those instead I suppose ... but its more cables, more crap on the desk and if I vesa mount a new small version, I'm having to reach around my monitor to turn it on all the time.. I like AIOs. They do the job and I'd be playing my games on my smart TV anyhow.