Offline Tontogary

• View Profile
Disproving Rowbothams claim to distance of the sun
« on: May 22, 2018, 04:48:49 AM »
On a different thread i looked at EnaG claims to calculate the distance of the sun, but the thread took a slightly different direction, so i am starting a new one here to look at the claims of the calculation of the suns distance.
He writes below;

“The distance from London Bridge to the sea-coast at Brighton, in a straight line, is 50 statute miles. On a given day, at 12 o'clock, the altitude of the sun, from near the water at London Bridge, was found to be 61 degrees of an arc; and at the same moment of time the altitude from the sea-coast at Brighton was observed to be 64 degrees of an arc, as shown in fig. 58. The base-line from L to B, 50 measured statute miles; the angle at L, 61 degrees; and the angle at B, 64 degrees. In addition to the method by calculation, the distance of the under edge of the sun may be ascertained from these elements by the method called "construction." The diagram, fig. 58, is the above case "constructed;" that is, the base-line from L to B represents 50 statute miles; and the line L, S, is drawn at an angle of 61 degrees, and the line B, S, at an angle of 64 degrees.”

Further in the chapter he gives the date used as July 13th 1870.

Looking at NOAA website
https://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/grad/solcalc/azel.html
It is possible to determine the Declination of the sun at that date. At Noon in the Uk the declination would have been 21 degrees 50’ north or 21.83333

The lattitude of London Bridge is 51 degrees 30’ North and Brighton pier (coast) is 50 degrees 48’N

Latitude on the earth is calculated using the suns apparent altitude and the suns known declination to determine the observers latitude.

In the Northern hemisphere with a North declination the calculation can be transposed to show what the apparent altitude measured should be.

The calculation will be 90 degrees-observers latitude, plus the suns declination.

Knowing the declination and the latitude it is possible to calculate the altitudes that should have been measured.
For London Bridge;
90.0- 51.5+21.8333. = 60.3333 or 60 degrees 20 minutes.

For Brighton
90.0- 50.8 + 21.833333. = 61.033333 or 61 degrees and 02 minutes

Now EnaG maintains the altitudes measured were 61 degrees and 64 degrees, so as can be seen the error on the measurements are 40 minutes of arc at london and a whole 3 degrees at Brighton

The angular distance between them is actually 42 arc minutes, not 3 degrees.

His distance from London to Brighton is an oft quoted distance of 50 miles, but london is a bloody big place, and looking at the Lat/Long of London Bridge and of Brighton pier (on the coast) the distance in a straight line is 48 miles (statute) so another error there.

In summary his angle measurements to the nearest whole degree is incorrect,
Both of his altitudes are incorrect, by some margin,
his figure for the angle between the 2 measurements is grossly in error
His baseline measurement is in error.
Consequently;
His conclusion is in error,

And there is no verification of his results. He says that the sun will be overhead that day 400 miles to the south of london, which would give a declination of about 46N, a figure never attained, and easily verifiable.

Does anyone think this is the work of a real scientist?

Also, if you haven't heard of bronies before, that reflects poorly on your understanding of the world that surrounds you. It's practically impossible not to know about them.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
Re: Disproving Rowbothams claim to distance of the sun
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 05:13:07 AM »
Those NOAA/NAVY calculators are not accurate. There is the problem of trying to triangulate the Sun. See the following link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9puRZH0i6Sc

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 05:42:22 AM »
Those NOAA/NAVY calculators are not accurate. There is the problem of trying to triangulate the Sun. See the following link:

You have proof they are not, please show errors for your location.

Offline Tontogary

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 06:11:02 AM »
Those NOAA/NAVY calculators are not accurate. There is the problem of trying to triangulate the Sun. See the following links:

1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9puRZH0i6Sc

2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPAJ7A7S82A

Some random links on YouTube are more accurate than NOAA??

Ok lets approach this in a different way then.

As a matter of RECORD the summer solstice in 1870 was at 15:56 GMT on 21st June. In 2018 the summer solstice will be on the same day at 11:00 GMT, some 5 hours before the year 1870. Therefore the declination of the sun in 1870 will be the same as 2018, plus 5 hours.

The declination of the sun on 13th July 2018 at 07:00GMT (5 hours before an “equivalent” time in 1870) the declination will be 21 degrees 49.1 N. The NOAA calculator gave 21 degrees 50 minutes. A difference of 1 minute of arc.
I cannot believe that you are arguing over 1 minute of arc, when EnaGs calculation is 180 minutes of arc in error.

Even if it is a whole day earlier or later the change in declination and therefore altitude of the sun, would be less than 10 arc minutes, so your observations are not warranted.

And further more if the declination was slightly incorrect, it would not affect the difference between the 2 measurements as they were supposedly taken at the same time.

Any more clarification?

Also, if you haven't heard of bronies before, that reflects poorly on your understanding of the world that surrounds you. It's practically impossible not to know about them.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 06:42:15 AM »
The author of that video invites you to replicate what he did to show that the calculators are in error. Why not take him up on it?

There is another 20 minute video of him meticulously looking up every single figure from the NOAA calculators for his diagram, for the video record, which I can try to find again.

And another 2018 updated video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6H0q-yvu9XQ

It appears that you have your work cut out for you.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 06:50:52 AM by Tom Bishop »

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 06:58:50 AM »

As a matter of RECORD the summer solstice in 1870 was at 15:56 GMT on 21st June. In 2018 the summer solstice will be on the same day at 11:00 GMT, some 5 hours before the year 1870. Therefore the declination of the sun in 1870 will be the same as 2018, plus 5 hours.

The declination of the sun on 13th July 2018 at 07:00GMT (5 hours before an “equivalent” time in 1870) the declination will be 21 degrees 49.1 N. The NOAA calculator gave 21 degrees 50 minutes. A difference of 1 minute of arc.
I cannot believe that you are arguing over 1 minute of arc, when EnaGs calculation is 180 minutes of arc in error.

Even if it is a whole day earlier or later the change in declination and therefore altitude of the sun, would be less than 10 arc minutes, so your observations are not warranted.

And further more if the declination was slightly incorrect, it would not affect the difference between the 2 measurements as they were supposedly taken at the same time.

Any more clarification?

I read through this. You are still using the NOAA calculators and similar calculators as evidence. Where do you think the future predictions come from, if not from a calculator? See the above link.

Offline Tontogary

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 07:59:57 AM »

Any more clarification?

I read through this. You are still using the NOAA calculators and similar calculators as evidence. Where do you think the future predictions come from, if not from a calculator? See the above link.

I just watched and wasted a whole 15 minutes thinking there might be something.....

However the link you provided is of some Youtube pseudo scientist trying to prove a point.

I only looked at the NOAA calculator as an easy reference for the declination, (not as actual calculator as shown in the video) but that is NOT the reason for this post. I am discussing Rowbotham, and would appreciate if you keep this on track.

I am concerned ONLY with the suns declination. Do you know what that is?

The declination and latitude, along with the time of the observation is the ONLY data needed.

Now as you didnt like the NOAA calculator, I referenced it to time of the solstice, which people have been pretty accurately determining for the last few thousand years, and is a matter of public record.

Our current almanac is accurate, if not there would be many many problems navigating, which there is not, so i am not going to get into that discussion, it is irrelevant.

The declination is was only used to show that the actual calculations in EnaG are way in error.
I would invite you to show where i have made an error, not just post a link to you tube on a completely different topic, that adds nothing to the discussion.

I would also invite you to show me that the declination of either 20, 21, 22 degrees make a difference to the difference in the altitudes of the sun at Brighton and London Bridge? (Which gives him the angle that he uses for his calculations) however I guess you cannot, but am willing for you to try, other than just direct me to more time wasting links.

Finally you can also show me where i Am wrong with the baseline distance as well?

Offline rabinoz

• Just look South at the Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2018, 08:02:00 AM »
Those NOAA/NAVY calculators are not accurate. There is the problem of trying to triangulate the Sun. See the following links:

1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9puRZH0i6Sc

2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPAJ7A7S82A
I'll leave your videos for now due to lack of time.

Adding a bit to Tontogary's post.

Rowbotham said:
By the same mode it may be ascertained that the distance from London of that part of the earth where the sun was vertical at the time (July 13th, 1870) the above observations were taken, was only 400 statute miles,
Now with London at about 51.5° N, 400 statute miles south is at about 45.7°N.
The sun, however, can never be above a point further north than 23.5° N (the Tropic of Capricorn) and "On Wednesday, 13 July 1870 at 12:04:00 UTC the Sun is at its zenith at Latitude: 21° 50' North".
From: Time and date, Day and Night World Map, London on 13 July 1870 at 12:04:00 UTC

So Rowbotham's claim that the sun is not more than 700 statute miles high and
"that part of the earth where the sun was vertical at the time (July 13th, 1870) the above observations were taken, was only 400 statute miles" are completely incorrect.

Those errors are at least partly due to his gross errors in measuring the elevations of the sun.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 08:13:37 AM »

So you think Rowbotham's measurements were accurate and his calculated distance to the sun is accurate?
I'm confused then how here Rowbotham says:

Hence it is demonstrable that the distance of the sun over that part of the earth to which it is vertical is only 700 statute miles...it is perfectly safe to affirm that the under edge of the sun is considerably less than 700 statute miles above the earth.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/earth/za/za23.htm

But on your Wiki ot says:

[the height of the sun] is approximately 2000 miles

and

Modern Mechanics describes how on a Flat Earth the sun can be computed to 3,000 miles via triangulation, whereas on a globe earth those same angles can calculate the sun to nearly 93 million miles away

https://wiki.tfes.org/Distance_to_the_Sun

So which is it? Was Rowbotham right or not? If he was, why does your Wiki give such a different figure? If he wasn't, why are you arguing about it?
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2018, 08:23:35 AM »
The author of that video invites you to replicate what he did to show that the calculators are in error. Why not take him up on it?

You've been repeatedly invited to either repeat Rowbotham's 'experiments', or conduct others, but there's no sign that you will, without advance payment from someone to finance you.

Why not take them (the folk who invited you thus) up on their suggestions?
=============================
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.
=============================

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2018, 11:04:17 AM »

Any more clarification?

I just watched and wasted a whole 15 minutes thinking there might be something.....

However the link you provided is of some Youtube pseudo scientist trying to prove a point.

I only looked at the NOAA calculator as an easy reference for the declination, (not as actual calculator as shown in the video) but that is NOT the reason for this post. I am discussing Rowbotham, and would appreciate if you keep this on track.

I am concerned ONLY with the suns declination. Do you know what that is?

The declination and latitude, along with the time of the observation is the ONLY data needed.

Now as you didnt like the NOAA calculator, I referenced it to time of the solstice, which people have been pretty accurately determining for the last few thousand years, and is a matter of public record.

Our current almanac is accurate, if not there would be many many problems navigating, which there is not, so i am not going to get into that discussion, it is irrelevant.

The declination is was only used to show that the actual calculations in EnaG are way in error.
I would invite you to show where i have made an error, not just post a link to you tube on a completely different topic, that adds nothing to the discussion.

I would also invite you to show me that the declination of either 20, 21, 22 degrees make a difference to the difference in the altitudes of the sun at Brighton and London Bridge? (Which gives him the angle that he uses for his calculations) however I guess you cannot, but am willing for you to try, other than just direct me to more time wasting links.

Finally you can also show me where i Am wrong with the baseline distance as well?

You're looking at a prediction of the sun's position that will occur in the future. Of course the source is one of the sun calculators. Insisting that the prediction is true doesn't get one very far.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2018, 11:05:56 AM »

So you think Rowbotham's measurements were accurate and his calculated distance to the sun is accurate?
I'm confused then how here Rowbotham says:

Hence it is demonstrable that the distance of the sun over that part of the earth to which it is vertical is only 700 statute miles...it is perfectly safe to affirm that the under edge of the sun is considerably less than 700 statute miles above the earth.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/earth/za/za23.htm

But on your Wiki ot says:

[the height of the sun] is approximately 2000 miles

and

Modern Mechanics describes how on a Flat Earth the sun can be computed to 3,000 miles via triangulation, whereas on a globe earth those same angles can calculate the sun to nearly 93 million miles away

https://wiki.tfes.org/Distance_to_the_Sun

So which is it? Was Rowbotham right or not? If he was, why does your Wiki give such a different figure? If he wasn't, why are you arguing about it?

There are no email addresses on that Modern Mecahnics article. Where did those numbers come from? I am not them. The article was posted because it further describes the methodology.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 11:16:26 AM by Tom Bishop »

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2018, 11:22:49 AM »
There are no email addresses on that Modern Mecahnics article. Where did those numbers come from? I am not them. The article was posted because it further describes the methodology.
OK, but you can see how that might confuse a stupid person.
On that Wiki page you quote two different sources with calculations, one says 2,000 miles, the other says 3,000.
Rowbotham says 800.

Which is it? If you claim Rowbotham is accurate then fine, but why not just quote his experiments on the Wiki, not two other articles which both give very different answers to both Rowbotham and each other.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Tontogary

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2018, 11:45:40 AM »
Ok if you have a problem with me looking at what the prediction for the suns declination of July 2018 is going to be, how about i compare with the suns declination of 2017? That historical, as is the record of 1870.

Plus you really dont get the idea that it does not matter the exact declination, you are just being deliberately obtuse.
You are aware of what declination is right tom? Because if you dont, then there is little point in you trying to follow this.

So how about I go through the he calculations using a declination of 21.75 degrees, which is average of declination over a number of historical observations for July 13th. The range is about 21.85 to about 21.65, so lets take the middle one.

For London Bridge , 90.0 - 51.5 + 21.75 = 60.25 or 60 degrees 15 minutes altitude (EnaG got 61 degrees)
For Brighton pier ,   90.0 - 50.8 + 21.75 = 60.95 0r 60 degrees 57 minutes altitude. (Enag got 64 degrees)

Now guess what the difference between the 2 results are??? Yes the exact same as my first calculations, 42 minutes of arc.

You can put in whatever declination you want tom, it wont change the result. The angular between the suns altitude measured at London Bridge and Brighton pier Is 42 minutes of arc. NOT 3 degrees.

In fact if i were to use the lower value for declination one might find for July 13th, then the following is the results;

For London Bridge , 90.0 - 51.5 + 21.65 = 60.15 or 60 degrees 09 minutes altitude (EnaG got 61 degrees) nearly a whole degree in error
For Brighton pier ,   90.0 - 50.8 + 21.65 = 60.85 0r 60 degrees 51 minutes altitude. (Enag got 64 degrees) still over 3 degrees in error

So we go through the maths againand find that the difference in the altitudes is 42 minutes of arc.

Still the same.

Now this is the thing about the suns position, most people agree that is moves north and south of the equator to produce seasons, it is explained in e NAG, and agreed that it attains its maximum north on the summer solstice and then the maximum south on the winter solstice..follow me so far??

The actual date and moment of the solstice varies by a day either side of June 21st, which is why we have leap years to bring the calendar back into line with the suns path, as having a 365 1/4 day calendar every year would screw with everyone’s minds........
So if the sun goes from most northern track to most southern track at a steady rate from summer solstice to winter solstice it moves from 23.45N to 23.45S over 6 months, and follows a similar pattern each time, so at a certain time has elapsed after the solstice the suns declination will be more or less the same, irrespective of the calendar date.  Historical data can be used to determine how far north or south the sun is after the solstice.

It’s not difficult to grasp, try it...
and for the purposes of my calculations it shows Rowbotham did not measure the suns altitude correctly or accurately at either location, and his figures are WRONG.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 02:55:50 PM by Tontogary »

Offline rabinoz

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2018, 12:48:31 PM »
The topic is "Disproving Rowbothams claim to distance of the sun".

And I have shown in this post that Rowbotham was wrong on two major points. Re: Disproving Rowbothams claim to distance of the sun « Reply #7 on: Today at 06:02:00 PM »

Rowbotham claimed that,
"the sun is not more than 700 statute miles high" and "that part of the earth where the sun was vertical at the time (July 13th, 1870) the above observations were taken, was only 400 statute miles".
Modern flat earthers usually claim that that the sun is about 3000 miles (or about 5000 km) high. No-one that I have seen supports a 700-mile high sun.

And if the sun is over a point only 400 miles south of London the sun must be above about 45.7°N.
But the sun can never be further north than 23.5° and on the date given it would have been only "21° 50' North".

And both of these claims are obviously completely wrong! Just face the facts - Rowbotham was completely incorrect here as in a number of other places.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2018, 05:04:27 PM »
Ok if you have a problem with me looking at what the prediction for the suns declination of July 2018 is going to be, how about i compare with the suns declination of 2017? That historical, as is the record of 1870.

There are not old astronomers sitting in observatories at every latitude on earth, carefully chronicling where the sun is in the sky throughout the day. All of the numbers you are seeing are generally calculated numbers. We have explored that concept thoroughly over the last 11 years.

Show us the source of your numbers and we will point it out.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2018, 05:07:09 PM »
On that Wiki page you quote two different sources with calculations, one says 2,000 miles, the other says 3,000.
Rowbotham says 800.

Which is it? If you claim Rowbotham is accurate then fine, but why not just quote his experiments on the Wiki, not two other articles which both give very different answers to both Rowbotham and each other.

You are right. It could use at least a disclaimer. We do need more help on the Wiki. There are very few editors.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 05:10:04 PM by Tom Bishop »

Max_Almond

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2018, 10:48:28 PM »
Is Tom saying that Rowbotham's calculations about the sun's height were wrong?

Offline Tontogary

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2018, 12:30:55 AM »

There are not old astronomers sitting in observatories at every latitude on earth, carefully chronicling where the sun is in the sky throughout the day. All of the numbers you are seeing are generally calculated numbers. We have explored that concept thoroughly over the last 11 years.

However if you believe that astronomers need to be in every latitude on earth to determine the declination of the sun, then you have just proved you do not know what you are talking about.

What is the suns declination on june 16th in london using the FE model?
And in Paris on the same day and time?
And in Madrid, same date and time?
And in capetown, same date and time?

If you cant tell me the answer you have no concept of declination.

Hint, I dont need a numerical answer...................

Offline rabinoz

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2018, 03:09:13 AM »
There are no email addresses on that Modern Mechanics article. Where did those numbers come from? I am not them. The article was posted because it further describes the methodology.
Rowbotham says 800.

You are right. It could use at least a disclaimer. We do need more help on the Wiki. There are very few editors.
So what is the height of the sun in your flat earth model? There seem to be at least 5 competing claims:
  • The "true distance Earth-Sun <is> (some 12-15 km)" according to sandokhan.
  • Rowbotham unequivocally states "not more than 700 statute miles".
  • The Wiki, in "Distance to the Sun" states that, "we find that h is approximately 2000 miles". (h is the height of the sun in the calculation.)
  • The Wiki, in "The Cosmos/The Sun" claims "The sun is a rotating sphere. It has a diameter of 32 miles and is located approximately 3000 miles above the surface of the earth".
  • Or if you apply Eratosthenes method with his 7.2° latitude difference between Syene and Alexandra to a flat earth, about 3900 miles.
So which is it and what evidence do you have for that claim?

But, most certainly Rowbotham is incorrect and so we have certainly succeeded in "Disproving Rowbotham's claim to the distance of the sun"!