Offline Dr Van Nostrand

• There may be something to this 'Matrix' stuff...
    • View Profile
I asked why I should be sad about the corrupt nation of Ukraine being invaded. Russia being corrupt as well would be irrelevant to that statement.

The real question is why are you and all the other Republican traitors so happy about Russia expanding across Europe?
Round Earther patiently looking for a better deal...

If the world is flat, it means that I have been deceived by a global, multi-generational conspiracy spending trillions of dollars over hundreds of years.
If the world is round, it means that you’re just an idiot who believes stupid crap on the internet.

Offline stack

• View Profile
The leader of Ukraine has signed a decree ruling out peace negotiations with Putin:

Makes sense considering...

The decree formalized comments made by Zelensky on Friday after Putin proclaimed four partially occupied regions of Ukraine to be a part of Russia “forever,” in what Kyiv and the West dismissed as an illegitimate farce.

Quote from: stack
No, if the argument is that Russia invaded Ukraine to quell Ukranian corruption, that's some serious backward logic considering that Russia is more corrupt than Ukraine.

I asked why I should be sad about the corrupt nation of Ukraine being invaded. Russia being corrupt as well would be irrelevant to that statement.

Did someone ask you to be sad?

So your argument isn't that it was ok for Russia to invade because Ukraine is corrupt? We can take that argument off the table?

Offline Алёна

• I am Car!
    • View Profile

The real question is why are you and all the other Republican traitors so happy about Russia expanding across Europe?

Tom Bishop secretly works for the Kremlin.
Professional procrastinator.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
Did someone ask you to be sad?

So your argument isn't that it was ok for Russia to invade because Ukraine is corrupt? We can take that argument off the table?

Considering the flag waving and monetary contributions and twitter profile picture changes, western liberals appear to think we should be sad about it.

Ukraine has been known for many years to be a corrupt nation. I have not cared when a corrupt third world country has been invaded in the past, and I still do not see a reason to do so. There have been a number of wars in the last 10 years in Africa and Asia between corrupt third world countries that have barely registered a blip. If the concern is merely that there is a WAR somewhere where people may be DYING, then it is odd that there has not been comparable outrage over the other conflicts.

In reality, it appears that liberals do not really care about Ukraine or its culture or values and it is yet another exercise of faux outrage. The real reason is just a hate for Russia. They can't even justify why they love Ukraine so much, and were likely barely aware of its existence before this.

Clearly, many Republicans see Russia's ideology as preferable to liberalism. I can't blame them that they are rooting for Russia's success.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 09:18:55 PM by Tom Bishop »

Rama Set

This is it. Conservatives have been groomed by the GOP to think that preserving the nuclear family is so important that having a dictator who legalized domestic abuse and murders his rivals, among many other atrocities, is preferable to democracy.

Offline Dr Van Nostrand

• View Profile

Clearly, many Republican see Russia's ideology as preferable to liberalism. I can't blame them that they are rooting for Russia's success.

Finally! Some honesty!

Republicans want the kind of country where homosexuals can be jailed like Russia or Iran. They want a government to enforce the family values and virtues that they embrace. Everyone else is the enemy.

This is why it's so important that Americans rise up against this conservative garbage.

If the world is flat, it means that I have been deceived by a global, multi-generational conspiracy spending trillions of dollars over hundreds of years.
If the world is round, it means that you’re just an idiot who believes stupid crap on the internet.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Tom Bishop secretly works for the Kremlin.
Is it really secret at this point? My dude used to be pretty respectable around here, but then he abandoned his keen wit for what can only be presumed to be the mighty rouble.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
Considering the flag waving and monetary contributions and twitter profile picture changes, western liberals appear to think we should be sad about it.

Well, it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing to feel sad about the suffering of the countless innocent civilians caught in the middle of the fighting. 

It also wouldn't be a bad thing to be concerned at Putin's aggressive method of "liberating" the territories that he just annexed.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
Well, it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing to feel sad about the suffering of the countless innocent civilians caught in the middle of the fighting.

Yes, I felt about as sad as I did about the recent civil wars in Africa. I heard about it and went on my way. How loud did you cry about the African civil wars when you heard about them?

If your response is "nooo but Putin/Russia bad" and attempt to move the goal posts away from explaining why you seem to care more about some people dying and not others then it is just further evidence that you actually do not actually care about people in Ukraine dying.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
I didn't say that you're obligated to feel bad about innocent people dying.  I just said that it wouldn't be a bad thing if you did.  That is if you're even able.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
I simply do not see liberals changing their profile pictures and setting up flags in front of their houses based on the war of the year, condemning a b c despot for invading x y z country.

The reason they are doing it for Ukraine is not because they care solely about people dying in Ukraine, clearly. Don't even lie. This is typical faux outrage. This is about ideology and politics.

Liberals hate Russia because of ideology. In recent years Russia has become an ultra conservative capitalist country and so they must be demonized. That is simply all there is to it. It has nothing to do with Russian corruption, as they freely support the corrupt Ukraine. It is all about ideology.

Likewise, Italy voted in a conservative candidate recently and now Italy is FACIST. Who is good or bad is based entirely on ideology and liberal emotion. Whether we are talking about Russia, Italy, Trump, it is all merely left vs right and is just the same conversation. The underlying motivation and reasoning is all the same. You guys have nothing unique to bring to the table with your identical positions or fake emotional outrage.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 02:04:40 AM by Tom Bishop »

Rama Set

Liberals hate Russia because of ideology. In recent years Russia has become an ultra conservative capitalist country and so they must be demonized. That is simply all there is to it. It has nothing to do with Russian corruption, as they freely support the corrupt Ukraine. It is all about ideology.

Yes.  You can support Putin, who is a demonstrable shithole who makes people's lives materially worse in almost every conceivable fashion, or not.  Your choice.

Likewise, Italy voted in a conservative candidate recently and now Italy is FACIST.

When the person who is elected shows her support and admiration for Mussolini and his policies, it seems a logical conclusion.

Who is good or bad is based entirely on ideology and liberal emotion. Whether we are talking about Russia, Italy, Trump, it is all merely left vs right and is just the same conversation. The underlying motivations and reasoning are all the same. You guys have nothing unique to bring to the table with your identical positions or fake emotional outrage.

lol, you can try and hand wave away the actions of these people, but fortunately we don't rely on you for information.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
Yes.  You can support Putin, who is a demonstrable shithole who makes people's lives materially worse in almost every conceivable fashion, or not.  Your choice.

How so exactly? In public Putin is a Christian who promotes traditional values. Everything else is a conspiracy theory about how he blew up apartment buildings which allowed him to win on a pro-police platform or whatever.

If you actually have anything that is confirmed as factual please tell us. All I have ever heard is unconfirmed theory and propaganda.

When the person who is elected shows her support and admiration for Mussolini and his policies, it seems a logical conclusion.

Which policies? Both Hitler and Mussolini had good economic policies which benefitted their nation. That is not in dispute. Even standard textbooks describe their policies as prosperous for their countries.

lol, you can try and hand wave away the actions of these people, but fortunately we don't rely on you for information.

Yes clearly, you just repeat the liberal byline on the media almost verbatim.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 02:34:41 AM by Tom Bishop »

Offline stack

• View Profile

I'm pretty sure we've been demonizing Russia for decades. You know, all that Cold War stuff. This is nothing new. Not some new ideology based upon some Christian conservatism. They've basically been our "enemy" forever. Reagan would be pinwheeling in his grave if he read any of your notions.

And as for not caring about other 3rd world nations warring and whatnot, this scenario is tad different in terms of magnitude; A nuclear power invading another nation, threatening some Nordic countries if they join NATO, threatening nuclear weapons use, etc. I'd say this is not even remotely comparable to any other conflicts currently going on. The stakes are infinitely higher.

Likewise, Italy voted in a conservative candidate recently and now Italy is FACIST. Who is good or bad is based entirely on ideology and liberal emotion.

Maybe not for you, but fascism is generally frowned upon regardless of liberal or conservative emotions.

Offline crutonius

• Just a regular guy. No funny business here.
    • View Profile

How so exactly? In public Putin is a Christian who promotes traditional values. Everything else is a conspiracy theory about how he blew up apartment buildings which allowed him to win on a pro-police platform or whatever.

If you actually have anything that is confirmed as factual please tell us. All I have ever heard is unconfirmed theory and propaganda.

Which policies? Both Hitler and Mussolini had good economic policies which benefitted their nation. That is not in dispute. Even standard textbooks describe their policies as prosperous for their countries.

Is butchering civilians and stealing the filling in their teeth a traditional Christian value?

I'm just curious.  I haven't studied the Bible in a while.  I suppose it's possible that jesus condoned this sort of behavior.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
Tom, you seem to forget somethint vital.

Because of Russia, prices of fuel went up.
Wheat and other materials produced by Ukraine have been stopped and become more scarce.

Putin made your life more expensive and harmed countless businesses around the world.

Does that make you sad?
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Rama Set

I mean I’ve only mentioned it a few times but I guess reading is hard. He decriminalized domestic abuse. Read that aloud and get back to me if we need to go any further. I know domestic abuse is a traditional value and all, but it’s going a bit far.

Then you obviously haven’t looked very hard before making up your mind. Unsurprising. From harsh anti-democratic crackdowns to war crimes, Putin is just a machine gun of shittiness. It’s why Trump admires him so much… oh that’s why you like Putin. Your document stealing idol heaps praise on him so you naturally follow along.

hItLeR wAsN’t WrOnG!

I don’t think you know what byline means. I think you meant headline. Your welcome. But also, wtf are you talking about? I’m saying you are ignoring the shit Putin does in plain sight. I forgot who I’m talking to though. You don’t give a fuck about democracy or personal rights. Silly Rama.

Offline Dr Van Nostrand

• View Profile
Tom has really revealed the heart of the MAGA/Russia connection. It is about forming an authoritarian, Christian regime that will use force and violence to achieve their agenda. They will do whatever it takes no matter how fucked up and they will align with anyone no matter how fucked up. They have no problem enlisting the support of a butcher like Putin. They certainly have no problem spending millions and millions of dollars to put an absolutely idiotic, illiterate, criminal piece of shit like Hershel Walker in the Senate.

Putin's plan to make America a Russia nation state is rolling full steam. His advance troops are here among us and some are highly placed in our government.

The self-righteous conservatives of Iran rose up and installed their beloved theocracy. Now, they get imprisoned for shaving their beards, their daughters get stoned to death for violating 'morality laws' and there is no mechanism to take the regime out of power. Those people fucked themselves just like we are fucking ourselves.

All those years of the conservatives going hysterical over Obama's government overreach and the liberal agenda, now these hypocrites are working with the communists trying to overthrow our government.

Fuck the Republicans! Defend America!

Rama Set

What are you smoking calling Putin a communist?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
Quote from: stack
I'm pretty sure we've been demonizing Russia for decades. You know, all that Cold War stuff. This is nothing new. Not some new ideology based upon some Christian conservatism. They've basically been our "enemy" forever. Reagan would be pinwheeling in his grave if he read any of your notions.

Incorrect. I do not know what drugs you have been taking, but you have it backwards. Reagan was not an enemy to Russia. Reagan treated Gorbachev as his equal and with respect. It was, in fact, Reagan's peace and friendship with Russia that helped end the Cold War.

https://www.history.com/news/gorbachev-reagan-cold-war

But Ronald Reagan and Mikhail Gorbachev, unusual bedfellows as they may have been, managed to forge not only a mutual respect, but a friendship, which helped end the Cold War.

“I think, frankly, (that) President Gorbachev and I discovered a sort of a bond, a friendship between us, that we thought could become such a bond between all the people,” Reagan told journalists in Moscow during a visit in 1990.

https://www.wilsoncenter.org/publication/reagans-evolving-views-russians-and-their-relevance-today

Massie demonstrated Reagan's relevance today for U.S. policy toward Russia and gave some words of advice to current policymakers. First, Massie said, Reagan respected Gorbachev and treated him as an equal. Gorbachev appreciated this, and for the first time Reagan was able to create an atmosphere of trust between a U.S. president and a leader of the Soviet Union.

According to the modern liberal narrative Putin is an evil entity on level of Osama Bin Laden. This is not how Reagan treated the Russian leader in ending the Cold War.

Compare Reagan's approach to President Zelensky's recent decree and remarks:

https://news.antiwar.com/2022/10/04/zelensky-signs-decree-ruling-out-peace-talks-with-putin-as-impossible/

I mean I’ve only mentioned it a few times but I guess reading is hard. He decriminalized domestic abuse. Read that aloud and get back to me if we need to go any further. I know domestic abuse is a traditional value and all, but it’s going a bit far.

The domestic abuse law in Russia is that if someone hits you, it's battery, and there is no special classification based on whether they are a family member.

https://news.sky.com/story/how-russias-decision-to-decriminalise-domestic-violence-is-continuing-to-kill-12250780

In 2017 Russia decriminalised first instance domestic battery, meaning anything which doesn't end up in hospital is classified as an administrative offence. There is no specific category for violence by a relative. The penalty is the same as being punched by a stranger on the street.

The penalty for being punched by a relative in Russia is the same as being punched by a stranger on the street. I don't really see why the penalties for battery should be different whether it is between relatives in a home or students in college. This law you are referring to wanted a specific category for violence by a relative. The general law on battery was not repealed.

There were arguments about that Russian domestic abuse law on whether the situation is more grievous when a stranger attacks you, or whether a trusted family member attacks you. That argument was not resolved and is obviously highly situational, and so there is only one general battery law. The domestic abuse law which classified battery by a relative as a special class was not repealed for the reason of baseless evil or whatever you are trying to portray.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 06:53:16 PM by Tom Bishop »