Re: I'm looking for a volunteer, a true flat earth believer.
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2017, 12:17:06 AM »
You got me there. It also has nothing to do with the ISS, moonshots or satellites. I was of course referring to the last 20 or so posts about flight times as a cheaper experiment than sending someone up in a balloon.

Ptolemy

« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2017, 12:29:33 AM »
I thought you said you were not going to discuss those items??

Noone cares about Oz, except Dorothy.
Go wrestle a Tasmanian devil or something....

Ptolemy

« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2017, 09:51:22 AM »

« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2017, 03:25:43 PM »
Still no flat earther can produce a map that corresponds with the tens of thousands of flights documented on the flight tracking website every day: https://flightaware.com/  Gee, why am I not surprised?

Tom Bishop kept asking me for a database of distances and travel times between points on a round earth, and now that I have provided one, he no longer comments on this thread.

I think this whole website should be renamed the "Round Earth Society", since the flat earthers seem to just fade into the woodwork when there is evidence they can't contradict. Or they tell you to ignore Australia and wrestle with a Tasmanian devil, because who cares about Australia. Somehow, I never thought of that as a reason to believe in a flat earth.....because nobody cares about Australia?????

This forum seems to have more people who believe in a spherical earth than the opposite.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 03:27:37 PM by Nirmala »

Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• Life is meaningless & everything dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2017, 03:34:38 PM »

We do rule here.
Just to be clear, you are all terrific, but everything you say is exactly what a moron would say.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2017, 11:13:19 AM »
Still no flat earther can produce a map that corresponds with the tens of thousands of flights documented on the flight tracking website every day
This statement is false.

Gee, why am I not surprised?
Because you're not here to have an honest discussion. You're here to tell everyone how right you think you are to make yourself feel better, regardless of merit.

This forum seems to have more people who believe in a spherical earth than the opposite.
Yes, trolls like you do enjoy flooding Flat Earth forums. We don't mind - we gladly talk to the honest ones and ignore the trolls once we've picked up on them (usually quite quickly)
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2017, 02:01:13 PM »
Still no flat earther can produce a map that corresponds with the tens of thousands of flights documented on the flight tracking website every day
This statement is false.

Then show me the map.

Offline Flatout

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2017, 02:03:20 PM »
SexWarrior can you please produce a map that makes sense of the flight times and earth wide flight paths.  Please give a detailed explanation and well documented flight speeds to make it work.  You just claimed that one exists but cited no data reference.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2017, 02:19:01 PM »
Then show me the map.
It's in the FAQ. You just insist on reading it as if it were a RE map.

« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2017, 03:28:08 PM »
Then show me the map.

No, I see the flat earth map as being presented as a two dimensional representation of a two dimensional surface, which means that there should be no distortion in the scale of objects or distances on the map relative to those same objects and distances on the surface of the flat earth. Given that simple principle, the shape and size of Australia on the map should perfectly scale up to the shape and size of the actual continent. Since it obviously does not given the flight times between Sydney and Perth referenced earlier in this thread, then the map is not proportional in all of its distances to the actual surface of the earth. Hence the map is incorrect.

Note that it is the nature of this kind of map projection that distances north and south are correct, while east/west distances become more and more inaccurate the further away from the center point (the north pole in this case) that you are on the map. Hence, Australia is grossly distorted on the map in the east/west dimension, while continents further north show less distortion. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azimuthal_equidistant_projection
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 03:32:01 PM by Nirmala »

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2017, 04:15:46 PM »
No, I see the flat earth map as being presented as a two dimensional representation of a two dimensional surface, which means that there should be no distortion in the scale of objects or distances on the map relative to those same objects and distances on the surface of the flat earth.
Yes, you assume a Cartesian geometry. I can't help you with that.

Given that simple principle
Given that simple and incorrect assumption, you reach a simple and incorrect conclusion. Until you sort your shit out, there's very little we can do to help.

Offline Flatout

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2017, 04:25:34 PM »
Then show me the map.
Who took the measurements for the map in the Wiki?

« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2017, 05:56:00 PM »
Then what kind of geometry is the flat earth map based on? And you do know that it is a two-dimensional projection of a three dimensional object (the globe) using geographic coordinates (longitude and latitude)?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 06:11:15 PM by Nirmala »

« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2017, 12:56:21 AM »
Gee, why am I not surprised?
Because you're not here to have an honest discussion. You're here to tell everyone how right you think you are to make yourself feel better, regardless of merit.

The reason I am here is that I am learning a lot. It became pretty obvious early on that most of the time nobody wins these debates, but every now and then someone posts something in support of the flat earth that really stretches my own ability to counter the argument. Then I do some searching and researching until I can satisfy my own curiosity. For example, I learned a lot about perspective in some discussions where it was suggested that perspective is what causes the sun to drop below the horizon in the flat earth model, so I educated myself some about perspective and learned that that is not possible. See here: https://forum.tfes.org/index.php?topic=6084.msg114798#msg114798 and here: https://forum.tfes.org/index.php?topic=6084.msg114871#msg114871

Another explanation that is offered is refraction, but then I studied up on refraction including the fast paced videos here: http://byjus.com/physics/why-do-stars-twinkle/. I learned that when light strikes a different and denser medium, the light is bent towards the normal (defined as the perpendicular to the boundary between the two mediums). It is for that reason that in both a flat earth and a round earth model, the sun would always appear higher in the sky than its actual location (except of course when it was already in the fully vertical position). That makes it impossible for the sun to be hidden behind the horizon due to refraction in the flat earth model, and also explains why the sun appears above the horizon for a little while after it has actually set below the horizon in the round earth model.

If you have something that you think will stump me, please have at it. So again, what form of geometry are you using and how does it explain the flat earth? It is fine if you just post references to videos or other resources that you think do a good job of explaining your viewpoint.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 01:58:21 AM by Nirmala »

« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2017, 01:49:22 AM »
I found some more info related to flight times in the southern hemisphere on the following two threads. On both threads, there are posts by a Quantas pilot who flies the Sydney to Santiago route. And in the second thread, there are videos he took from the cockpit of the Antarctic sea ice, that he later matched up to satellite images of the same area he was flying over (sort of a two for one debunking of the flat earth and the idea that satellites don't exist).

https://www.metabunk.org/flat-earth-theory-debunked-by-short-flights-qf27-qf28-from-australia-to-south-america.t6483/

https://www.metabunk.org/a-flight-over-the-antarctic-sea-ice-from-chile-to-australia-qf28.t8235/

There are several  interesting threads over there, but in this thread, there is much discussion of whether most flat earthers are just trolling for a good argument:
https://www.metabunk.org/what-to-do-about-the-flat-earthers-debunk-or-ignore.t6707/
I am tending to come to the conclusion that at least some of the flat earthers on here are trolls. But for a good argument, I think Monty Python had a better idea:
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 02:04:28 AM by Nirmala »

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2017, 10:56:04 PM »
Hi, everybody, I'm French and I am looking for a volunteer.
He needs to be a true believer, and if possible, has a youtube channel or a blog.
I want to start a Kickstarter campaign to gather money to send him into the stratosphere with a Mig29 or a ballon if we reach a higher goal.
Everything will be on my charge. I just need him for a couple days and for some interviews.
I want to make a documentary about that.
All the unspent money would be given to an association that promotes education and knowledge.
Please, let me know if you're interested.
Thank you.
Clem

You are over thinking this.   All you need to do is charter a Cessna Citation X that goes to 51,000 feet.  Book it for 2 hours.   It holds 8 people so you and 7 others could go.  Nice big windows to see the obvoius as well as video the results.  This could be done for under 10,000.

https://www.google.com/search?q=citation+x+charter+rates&oq=citaion+x+charter+r&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l3.7071j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Do you have a citation for this sweeping generalisation?

Offline Dither

• The night above the dingle starry,
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2017, 12:24:22 AM »
Sounds like a one way trip to the cemetery if you go up in a ballon.
Why not just show us an honest picture of curvature, oh that's right, they don't exist.

A lie will make it around the world before the truth has time to put on its shoes.

« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2017, 12:36:13 AM »
Sounds like a one way trip to the cemetery if you go up in a ballon.
Why not just show us an honest picture of curvature, oh that's right, they don't exist.

Photographic evidence taken at about 200 meters elevation is in this post:
https://forum.tfes.org/index.php?topic=5471.msg116469#msg116469

İntikam

« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2017, 07:11:36 AM »
I'm interested but;

I haven't a youtube channel or blog. But my workings as "İntikam" in all around the most known flat earth forums. And I'm not a believer, I'm a "knower".

My prerequisite is the balloon or airplane should be gone to the nearest point of the dome as about 73 miles altitude, then I'll take a sample from the dome from some researches. I accept the risk of getting stuck in the dome and hanging there.

« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2017, 07:22:59 AM »
flat earth is the true of science...