How to explain Midnight sun/No sun?
« on: September 20, 2021, 11:55:17 AM »
Hello!
I have looked for answers to this but I cannot find any? Perhaps some FE pros can explain this and how it fits into the model?
I live in a country quite far up "north". The problem I find that I cannot see any solution to in the FE model is that here we get Midnight sun during summers. (Sun is actually shining 24h/day) BUT of course, that is quite the opposite during winters where the sun hardly ever manages to ease up over the horizon at all.
So, how is this explained within the FE theory where the sun seems to be on a static track across the disc?

Thank you!

/Thorlake

Offline Tron

• View Profile
Re: How to explain Midnight sun/No sun?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2021, 06:25:02 AM »
Hi Thorlake,

I imagine on the regular Flat Earth model with the North Pole at the center of the earth, the sun is simply close enough to your northern location at night so it can be seen during the summer 24/7.

On another map like mine, where Antarctica is the center of the Earth, and sun is farther away from the Northern edge at night, to far to be seen physically, I believe the Sun's reflection wraps around the atmosphere at night so what your seeing is a reflection of the sun, not the sun itself.  See the image below:

Notice the main light on one side of the magnifying glass and a less bright reflection of the same light on the other side - as well as a third reflection but you see its possible under the right conditions-.
From the surface Earth looks flat.  From space Earth looks round.  Now what?

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2021, 11:21:40 AM »
Ok, that would then possibly explain the summer, where the sun is visible 24/7. But what about the winter where we have almost no sun at all during the days? How can there also be such a difference between the two seasons with the FE model?

Offline Tron

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2021, 02:44:30 PM »
In the standard North Pole centered Model, the Sun travels farther away from the north during the winter months so the Arctic region would not experience as much sunlight.

In the South Pole Centered Model, during winter the sun shines through the atmosphere more directly and causes less distortion around the sphere. 
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 03:09:04 PM by MetaTron »

Offline jimster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2021, 04:57:48 PM »
At night, I can see stars on the dome in every direction. So can people at the edge of FE map. So that comparatively weak light can travel from the farthest distance across the globe.

Metatron, how do we see stars from all the way across the dome, yet the sun is not visible because it is too far?

I am really curious about so many FE things, like how at sunset in Denver, people in St Louis see the dome as dark with stars, while people in Salt Lake City see the same dome as light blue. FE scientists don't know or won't tell me.

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2021, 06:18:23 PM »
Who says you are seeing across the entire sky?

Offline Tron

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2021, 09:22:08 PM »
When your looking across the earth you cannot see the sun or other Low Altitude objects because of distance, perspective, and atmospheric interference.  Thats why some stars cannot be seen in the south from the north and vice versa.

However, looking through a glass dome, you can see high altitude stars more clearly from the edges of the earth then at its center... See example:

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2021, 11:10:46 PM »
When your looking across the earth you cannot see the sun or other Low Altitude objects because of distance, perspective, and atmospheric interference.  Thats why some stars cannot be seen in the south from the north and vice versa.

If this were the case, how come I can see a sun set below the horizon?

However, looking through a glass dome, you can see high altitude stars more clearly from the edges of the earth then at its center... See example:

You seem to be looking through some sort of dome on your mousepad from space. Not from earth.

Offline Tron

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2021, 12:00:57 AM »

I just moved a flashlight slowly away from this dome as I looked through it, and sure enough I saw a perfect sunset.  When I removed the dome, I could see the flash light again.   

You seem to be looking through some sort of dome on your mousepad from space. Not from earth.

I know I haven't been able to look through the dome and work everything out yet...  But I think the potential is there.

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2021, 12:19:58 AM »

I just moved a flashlight slowly away from this dome as I looked through it, and sure enough I saw a perfect sunset.  When I removed the dome, I could see the flash light again. 

If you think moving a flashlight over an upside down glass bowl represents the complexity of the cosmos, have at it.

I know I haven't been able to look through the dome and work everything out yet...  But I think the potential is there.

Explore the potential. There are other potentials to explore. Go to a University space telescope set up. Talk to the astrophysicists about theory, observation, and facts. Pick their brains. Look through their equipment, etc. Dive in. It's wondrous what we know and don't know, but surmise.

Relinquish your bias that there is a "dome". There might not be. Maybe there is one. Talk to people who have explored all these notions and more rather than flipping a bowl onto to your mousepad and blasting it with a flashlight..

Offline Tron

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2021, 12:42:07 AM »
Lol, thanks Stack.  We'll seeee..

Offline WTF_Seriously

• Nobody Important
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2021, 12:58:20 AM »
Isn't there an inherent flaw in all this dome example?  The sun is also inside the dome, no?  So shining a light outside a dome doesn't represent what is actually happening in any way.
Flat-Earthers seem to have a very low standard of evidence for what they want to believe but an impossibly high standard of evidence for what they don’t want to believe.

Lee McIntyre, Boston University

Offline Tron

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2021, 01:12:28 AM »
Not in all models.

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2021, 05:54:29 AM »
This midnight sun problem, along with the problem of stars moving in concentric circles around the celestial poles, debunks any flat earth map I’ve seen. North Pole centered, South Pole centered, it doesn’t matter. It’s physically impossible.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2021, 04:55:52 PM »
This midnight sun problem, along with the problem of stars moving in concentric circles around the celestial poles, debunks any flat earth map I’ve seen. North Pole centered, South Pole centered, it doesn’t matter. It’s physically impossible.

Incorrect - https://wiki.tfes.org/Bi-Polar_Model

Offline LuggerSailor

• 12 men on the Moon, 11 of them Scouts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2021, 05:49:11 PM »

Incorrect - https://wiki.tfes.org/Bi-Polar_Model

Aw, that's a bit cute!

How would you sail from Indonesia to Ecuador?
LuggerSailor.
Sailor and Navigator.

Offline WTF_Seriously

• Nobody Important
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2021, 06:04:19 PM »

In a boat?

Sticking to the issue of the Bi-polar sun travel explaining the sun at the poles, it would.  However, it can't explain sun at the poles while still being consistent with the angle at which the sun appears away from the poles as the distance from the sun is dramatically different than the distance to the sun in a RE model which matches what is observed.
Flat-Earthers seem to have a very low standard of evidence for what they want to believe but an impossibly high standard of evidence for what they don’t want to believe.

Lee McIntyre, Boston University

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2021, 03:43:44 PM »

In a boat?

Sticking to the issue of the Bi-polar sun travel explaining the sun at the poles, it would.  However, it can't explain sun at the poles while still being consistent with the angle at which the sun appears away from the poles as the distance from the sun is dramatically different than the distance to the sun in a RE model which matches what is observed.

Gotta love geometry.