Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Re: Should we extend all jail sentences by a year due to COVID-19?
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2020, 10:59:04 AM »
The reason being that I don’t consider life in lockdown to be anywhere near as bad as being locked up in prison.
But that is not the question. The question is whether life in lockdown is anywhere near as good as the life they were originally supposed to be removed from.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2020, 11:28:51 AM »
The reason being that I don’t consider life in lockdown to be anywhere near as bad as being locked up in prison.
But that is not the question. The question is whether life in lockdown is anywhere near as good as the life they were originally supposed to be removed from.
I'd suggest that is balanced out by the fact that prison has been much worse for many during lockdown too

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/local-news/locked-up-lockdown-life-inside-4684751

And it's a simplification to suggest that prison is solely about punishment by depriving liberty, there should surely be more to it than that like ensuring public safety and rehabilitation.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2020, 12:24:15 PM »
I'd suggest that is balanced out by the fact that prison has been much worse for many during lockdown too
Yeah, I can see that, fair enough.

And it's a simplification to suggest that prison is solely about punishment by depriving liberty, there should surely be more to it than that like ensuring public safety and rehabilitation.
Oh, there certainly should be more to it than that.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline RhesusVX

• 1/137.03599913
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2020, 01:35:53 PM »

In fairness the question was "Should we extend all jail sentences by a year due to COVID-19?", and my statement there was a direct consequence of answering that by way of examples.  However, I accept that threads weave about a bit and add perspective.  Tackling that question as posed there, "Is life anywhere near as good as it was before lockdown?"  I have to say no, it's definitely nowhere near as good - far worse for some than others for sure, but on balance we are all in a worse social and/or financial position compared to before and will continue to be affected by it for quite some time with cancellations and restrictions in force.  Having said that, I was going to explore the avenue that AllAroundTheWorld highlighted to see if prisoners lives had been negatively affected by the same magnitude.  You could argue that being cooked up for 22 hours at a time in a dingy cell isn't quite the same level of disruption to their normal daily routine compared to those of us on the outside.  However, that doesn't sound too appetising!  On balance I do stand by my original answer that no, jail sentences shouldn't necessarily be extended, for all the same reasons I gave before.
Quote from:  Earth, Solar System, Oort Cloud, LIC, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea Supercluster, Universe
"Sometimes you need to take a step back to see the bigger picture, and sometimes you need to think outside the box dome"