totallackey

Re: Comet Shoemaker–Levy 9
« Reply #120 on: May 20, 2020, 03:14:36 PM »
What exactly did you mean by "I dispute the images present an accurate depiction of reality" then? That sounds like a long-winded way of saying they are fake.
It is not a long winded way of saying anything else other than exactly what I wrote.

Which evidently you do not understand.

You do realize I posted an image of a kangaroo with a long riffle, correct?

Did I post a real image?

Can you see it?

Earth telescopes could see the impact sites 10 minutes after they occurred. A space based telescope saw them as they happened.
So, you admit the Earth based telescopes did not see the impacts.

Thank you for finally writing some factual information.

I understand you are saying the images do not "depict reality" and since NASA says they do, what are you implying? Why can't you come out and just say they are lying?
Well, you didn't write that earlier.

You kept writing that I claimed the images were fake.

I believe that is highly disingenuous on your part.

I believe it is deliberate.

And I am more concerned about that issue rather than what you believe my opinion on NASA is.

I am not even going to get into the motives of NASA with you engaging in this obvious misrepresentation of my points.
You are using "real image" in a very strange way. Every single image is a "real image" by your definition, so saying an image is a "real image" is redundant, pointless and doesn't add to the discussion. Nobody else would use "real image" in the way you do.
Like this^

This type of classification from you.

A personal attack.

Something someone does when they have no response.

You write that my application of the words,"real image," is deficient, yet you know the image is visible and available for viewing.

I got a clue for you.

That makes the image, "real," in every sense of the word.

In fact, the only sense of the word.
You also seem to be hung up on the word "impact" so let me try and explain without using that word.

1. The Galileo spacecraft took pictures of multiple comets as they each hit Jupiter, each causing a massive explosion. This told us exactly when they first hit.

2. Ten minutes later after the comets hit, as Jupiter rotated, Earth based telescopes saw the these explosions.

Just like you can see a mushroom cloud after a large explosion, Earth based telescopes could see the expanding explosions ten minutes after they started, and for much longer. They were massive events and were observed for days.

No, Earth based telescopes did not see the comets when they first hit, but saw the results 10 minutes later. Galileo saw the comets first hit the planet.
No, I am not hung up on the word "impacts."

Seeing impacts and seeing sites are two different things.

If you cannot come to grips with using language correctly and honestly, then we do need to stop.

Nothing you have posted here is honest and I am not going to engage it any longer.

Buh bye...

Offline JSS

• Math is math!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 20, 2020, 03:52:37 PM »
Nothing you have posted here is honest and I am not going to engage it any longer.

Buh bye...

If you want to have the last word and abandon the discussion, feel free. But I have to respond to this...

You are using "real image" in a very strange way. Every single image is a "real image" by your definition, so saying an image is a "real image" is redundant, pointless and doesn't add to the discussion. Nobody else would use "real image" in the way you do.
Like this^

This type of classification from you.

A personal attack.

Something someone does when they have no response.

You write that my application of the words,"real image," is deficient, yet you know the image is visible and available for viewing.

I got a clue for you.

That makes the image, "real," in every sense of the word.

In fact, the only sense of the word.

Pointing out you are using words and phrases in confusing ways is not a personal attack, it's trying to understand what you are saying, and perhaps explain to you why what you are saying is hard for others to understand.

Let me try and explain why I think your use of "real image," is deficient.

If you hold up a picture and ask someone "Is this a real picture?' nobody is going to seriously say, "Yes, you are holding a physical picture it is a real object that exists". How would you even ever say no to that question, "You are holding a picture that is not a picture?"

You are using that phrase in a very literal manner that simply isn't used in actual debate or even serious conversation. I am trying to help you understand this.

This is what caused so much back and forth. When you say "It's a real image" you mean something very different than how that is used by everyone else.

The quote below is an example. It's taking things extremely literally, and when this usage is used in the middle of a conversation it can get very confusing just what is being argued about.

I do not dispute the fact you have posted real images.

I can see them.

That means the images exist.

I dispute the images present an accurate depiction of reality.

Offline GreatATuin

• It's turtles all the way down
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 20, 2020, 09:57:03 PM »
OK, so telescopes on Earth didn't see the collision itself, just the result of the collision shortly after it happened.

Indeed. But, what does that change exactly? It still shows the prediction was correct.
It shows images can possibly be generated to support a larger narrative.

What larger narrative? Astronomers predicted that a comet would crash into Jupiter and that the effects might be visible from Earth. They predicted months in advance that something potentially spectacular would happen on Jupiter and it turned out it was even more spectacular than expected. Professional and amateur astronomers all over the world were able to see it for themselves in their telescopes.

If the event they predicted was not a comet impact, then what was it? And how did they know? If Jupiter is not a gas giant orbiting the Sun at a distance of approximately 780 million km, what is it and how do we know what happens on its surface?
Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

you guys just read what you want to read