Ghost of V

Re: Gamergate!
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2014, 06:22:16 AM »
I haven't heard of this either and I basically live on the interwebs.

It literally popped up overnight and now you have to pick a side or be ostracized from interwebs forever.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2014, 08:22:45 AM »
To be fair, the compete lack of coverage is kind of a key factor in this whole thing. If you don't visit 4chan, reddit or tumblr, it's understandable that you wouldn't have heard of it.

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2014, 09:17:56 AM »
To be fair, the compete lack of coverage is kind of a key factor in this whole thing. If you don't visit 4chan, reddit or tumblr, it's understandable that you wouldn't have heard of it.

But Blanko, that's basically the entire internet.

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2014, 12:53:39 PM »
I think there's a good summary on this site

http://gamesnosh.com/gamergate-silly-sounding-sincere-call-fair-representation-gamers-within-media/

There's a few links to articles showing the other side of the story here

http://www.critical-distance.com/

Rama Set

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2014, 01:25:35 PM »
So basically the gaming industry has caught up to Hollywood?

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2014, 04:33:34 PM »
I think there's a good summary on this site

http://gamesnosh.com/gamergate-silly-sounding-sincere-call-fair-representation-gamers-within-media/

There's a few links to articles showing the other side of the story here

http://www.critical-distance.com/

I'm even less impressed.
A woman uses sex to get her game published with good reviews.
The mainstream media calls gamers horrible people.
Gamer sites don't want to talk about how they can be manipulated.
Gamers are angry at all of the above.

I hope no one is really surprised at this.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2014, 05:13:11 PM »
The funny thing is that I can't actually find any of these glowing reviews that she earned through sexing journalists.  Again, it's almost as if she's just an obscure developer that nobody had ever heard of or cared about prior to this.

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2014, 05:36:39 PM »
The funny thing is that I can't actually find any of these glowing reviews that she earned through sexing journalists.  Again, it's almost as if she's just an obscure developer that nobody had ever heard of or cared about prior to this.
I heard of her last year when she was featured on some Giant Bomb stuff. She was a guest at their PAX 2013 panel, and I think she was one some of their regular shows that year as well. I mean, that's the only gaming site I actually look at regularly, she's probably been on a ton of others as well.

Ghost of V

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2014, 07:23:19 PM »

She didn't exchange sex for good reviews. She exchanged sex for publicity. Her "game" was relatively unknown, normally would not have gotten anyone's attention, but now it's lauded as a "great narrative" and "top interactive game" unfairly because of her looseness. That's the accusation. Depression Quest isn't even a video game, but for some reason Kotaku and other video game outlets consider it to be such. Of course, her affairs could have been completely unrelated and strictly professional, but that's the whole point of the debate... Isn't it?

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2014, 07:32:52 PM »
This DepressionQuest looks to be just a computerized choose your own adventure book. Books aren't games.
Quote from: Saddam Hussein
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

Ghost of V

« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2014, 07:44:42 PM »
This DepressionQuest looks to be just a computerized choose your own adventure book. Books aren't games.

Anyone who can make their own AngelFire page is a game developer now.

« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2014, 07:51:47 PM »

Anyone who can make their own AngelFire page is a game developer now.

You also need a Patreon account, so you can get donations to sustain you while you go about creating your original masterpiece.

Ghost of V

« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2014, 07:53:31 PM »
I would give you a thumbs up if I could. Just so you know.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2014, 09:51:24 PM »
I disagree.
The old text based adventure games were basically that and they were awesome in many cases.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Ghost of V

« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2014, 09:52:35 PM »
I disagree.
The old text based adventure games were basically that and they were awesome in many cases.

Play Depression Quest. It's pay what you want, so basically it's free.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2014, 09:57:39 PM »
Oppression Quest is much better. So edgy :-B
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2014, 09:59:51 PM »
She didn't exchange sex for good reviews. She exchanged sex for publicity. Her "game" was relatively unknown, normally would not have gotten anyone's attention, but now it's lauded as a "great narrative" and "top interactive game" unfairly because of her looseness. That's the accusation.

Okay.  If there's any direct evidence to support that theory, I'd like to see it, but right now, it doesn't seem to jibe with the time frame of when she was developing the game and when she had the affair with the journalist.  Not even her ex is standing by this accusation.  And as to why the game got publicity in the first place, I think it's quite likely because of the huge wave of vitriol that she was slammed with when she first put her game onto Steam last year.  Kind of like Anita Sarkeesian's rise to fame, actually.

Ghost of V

« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2014, 10:06:00 PM »
She didn't exchange sex for good reviews. She exchanged sex for publicity. Her "game" was relatively unknown, normally would not have gotten anyone's attention, but now it's lauded as a "great narrative" and "top interactive game" unfairly because of her looseness. That's the accusation.

Okay.  If there's any direct evidence to support that theory, I'd like to see it, but right now, it doesn't seem to jibe with the time frame of when she was developing the game and when she had the affair with the journalist.  Not even her ex is standing by this accusation.  And as to why the game got publicity in the first place, I think it's quite likely because of the huge wave of vitriol that she was slammed with when she first put her game onto Steam last year.  Kind of like Anita Sarkeesian's rise to fame, actually.

Even if this is completely untrue, her game is well known only because of her crusade as a victim.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2014, 10:13:13 PM »
Yes, how dare she be victimized.  How selfish of her.

« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2014, 10:16:06 PM »
I jsut read abou this and I've decided after long deliberation, wighing up the pros and the cons the fors and the againstss that I dont care.