Ghost of V

Re: Gamergate!
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2014, 10:46:25 PM »
Yes, how dare she be victimized.  How selfish of her.

"I'm a slut, boo-hoo buy my game social crusade!!!"

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2014, 11:11:22 PM »
This DepressionQuest looks to be just a computerized choose your own adventure book. Books aren't games.
I disagree.
The old text based adventure games were basically that and they were awesome in many cases.

Play Depression Quest. It's pay what you want, so basically it's free.

Yep, it's shit.  It's total shit.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2014, 11:33:04 PM »

"I'm a slut, boo-hoo buy my game social crusade!!!"

#GamerGate is in good hands, I see.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2014, 01:28:13 AM »
Goddamn, I don't get the vitriolic user reviews of that game. As someone with severe depression, I thought it was pretty accurate, and I lived the way she explicitly crossed out choices at times.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2014, 10:33:39 AM »
Goddamn, I don't get the vitriolic user reviews of that game. As someone with severe depression, I thought it was pretty accurate, and I lived the way she explicitly crossed out choices at times.

Accuracy is fine, doesn't make it a game or fun.  A learning example, sure, but not a game.
Unless you consider having depression a game.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2014, 11:46:54 AM »
I have played and enjoyed text adventures before, but Depression Quest doesn't feel like an actual game. For me there was far too much text to read, not enough interactivity. Maybe I have a puny attention span though.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2014, 05:18:13 PM »

Accuracy is fine, doesn't make it a game or fun.  A learning example, sure, but not a game.
Well, fun is subjective, and clearly plenty of people have enjoyed it, so I dunno. I think "game" can be pretty vague, and it's not like anyone's really claiming it's a "video game".
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Ghost of V

« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2014, 05:46:00 PM »

Well, fun is subjective, and clearly plenty of people have enjoyed it, so I dunno. I think "game" can be pretty vague, and it's not like anyone's really claiming it's a "video game".

Zoe Quinn and several media outlets consider Depression Quest a game.

"a form of play or sport, especially a competitive one played according to rules and decided by skill, strength, or luck."

a videogame is defined as follows "a game played by electronically manipulating images produced by a computer program on a television screen or other display screen."

Seeing as Depression Quest does not conform to the definition of "Game", it is not a videogame. I'm glad you enjoyed it, but that doesn't make it a game. It's an interactive novel at best, but even that is stretching it. I don't consider myself playing a game when I'm browsing TVtropes or wikipedia... Depression Quest falls into the same category, for me at least. And I thought "fun" was not the objective of DQ. It's supposed to be some sort of pretentious introspective stroll down depression-lane, as if everyone experiences it the same way. I found it to be presumptuous, annoying, and poorly done. Most of the pictures seems to be taken from google images, and if they were actually photographed by Zoe Quinn herself then sorry but she's a shitty photographer.  It felt more like something a highschool teacher would make their students read for educational purposes. No fun was had.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 08:39:22 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline Shmeggley

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2014, 06:55:23 PM »

Being a victim doesn't make her a good person.

« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2014, 07:30:14 PM »
This DepressionQuest looks to be just a computerized choose your own adventure book. Books aren't games.
I disagree.
The old text based adventure games were basically that and they were awesome in many cases.

I grew up in the 80s, with a C64.  I know text based games, and this was nothing like those in any respect, except that they were both text based.
Quote from: Saddam Hussein
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2014, 08:35:20 PM »

Irrelevant.

Ghost of V

« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2014, 08:44:23 PM »

Irrelevant.

It's relevant when Zoe Quinn herself posts endless blogs and rants about it seemingly for publicity and derails legitimate charities. She claims that she is being victimized because she is a female, which is untrue. She's being targeted because her actions are perceived as morally reprehensible and attention-grabbing.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2014, 10:35:49 PM »
But no one is really focusing on the interviewers and their integrity when they write good reviews just cause they got some tail.

Even if she had slept with them for good reviews, they're the ones who are ultimately selling themselves out.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2014, 10:39:22 PM »
But no one is really focusing on the interviewers and their integrity when they write good reviews just cause they got some tail.
What do you mean? A large part of the fuss here is precisely people focusing on the interviewers and their integrity.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2014, 10:43:29 PM »
What do you mean? A large part of the fuss here is precisely people focusing on the interviewers and their integrity.
Oh good.

I've been skimming. What I've mostly heard is just the backlash that Zoe is getting and not really anything about the reporters. And a lot of the posts here keep coming back to her part in all this. Even if she wanted to sleep around it wouldn't mean a thing if the reporters decided not to sell-out so her part is pretty minimal.

But carry on.

« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2014, 10:47:23 PM »
Most of the game websites and journalists are focusing on the abuse Quinn is getting, while ignoring the corruption angle.

Ghost of V

« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2014, 10:48:11 PM »
Oh good.

I've been skimming. What I've mostly heard is just the backlash that Zoe is getting and not really anything about the reporters. And a lot of the posts here keep coming back to her part in all this. Even if she wanted to sleep around it wouldn't mean a thing if the reporters decided not to sell-out so her part is pretty minimal.

But carry on.

Zoe Quinn made this nonsense mainstream, so her part is far from minimal. One Kotaku reporter already admitted to the alleged affair, and people are upset about the possible implications of that.

Of course, like Saddam has stated, the evidence that she whored herself out for good publicity is all conjecture. There's a possibility she did this for publicity, considering who she slept with... but the evidence is spotty because it all comes down to "he said she said", facebook screencaps, 4chan threads, and personal testimony from an angry ex. Although the affair has been confirmed, it still could have been completely personal and not at all for publicity. Zoe Quinn's rabid defense makes people suspect her, however. She really has caused more harm than good from playing the victim and issuing youtube takedown notices, among other things.

Sorry for the string of edits, bad habit of mine.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 10:54:28 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2014, 10:56:19 PM »
Zoe Quinn made this nonsense mainstream, so her part is far from minimal.
Nah, that was her ex-boyfriend and the raging misogynists.

Ghost of V

« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2014, 10:58:00 PM »
Nah, that was her ex-boyfriend and the raging misogynists.

ur rite

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2014, 11:43:09 PM »
It's relevant when Zoe Quinn herself posts endless blogs and rants about it seemingly for publicity

I'm really having difficulty understanding this argument.  Is she supposed to just shut up and take her licks or something?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 12:05:35 AM by Saddam Hussein »