Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
Does anyone know about bikes?
« on: May 11, 2016, 05:36:52 PM »
I got a new bike that I assembled myself and I'm having trouble with one part. The handlebar is secured via a quill stem. Basically, you insert the stem into the tube and turn a screw on top of the stem. It causes a little metal thing to press against the tube, securing the handlebar in place. However, it seems like no matter how much I tighten it it always slips out of place. Does that sound like it's defective, or am I just doing something wrong? I was thinking of just epoxying the bitch on, but then I'd never be able to adjust it.

Re: Does anyone know about bikes?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 08:30:06 PM »
I believe there is some kind of grease that should be used that helps keep it in place, and also stops the joint from rusting together. It should be the same stuff used on the seat tube. Also, you shouldn't be tightening things past spec. If you don't have a torque wrench, you should get one.
Quote from: Saddam Hussein
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 10:38:22 PM »
Oh, yeah it must be the grease. I'll have to pick some up since it didn't come with any. I need a torque wrench too.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 07:57:01 PM »
Not yet. It's still slipping. I'm either going to order a new quill stem, or take it to a bike shop.