Offline Tintagel

• Full of Tinier Tintagels
    • View Profile
The sea, and the moon, and me.
« on: October 16, 2014, 06:49:36 PM »
Greetings society members :)

I've just returned from a fall trip to the beach.  Behold our glorious flat earth. 

This photo was taken almost precisely 24 hours after a total lunar eclipse (which, sadly I wasn't able to see) where the full, eclipsed moon and sun were both visible above the horizon  (Something that geometry says isn't possible on a spherical earth).  Here, 24 hours past the full moon, the sun is rising over the sea.  Behind me, the moon (still largely full, barely 24 hours into the waning period) is high in the sky.  Here's a shot of the moon in the opposite direction, so you can see what I mean.

I thought I'd been able to get the horizon into the bottom of the shot (oops), but you can basically see where it is (just below the trees). By using the height of my hand at arm's length as as estimate for 10 degrees, I estimated the moon's position at about 35 degrees above the horizon when the sun rose, making the angle between the sun and moon in the sky about 150 degrees, when it should have been closer to 180.  At full moon, the angle between the sun and moon on the sky is 180.  The moon doesn't cover 35 degrees of sky relative to the sun in a single day.  If it did, there would be a full moon every 10 days.  I couldn't get a panoramic shot with my phone, or I would have, because it was awesome.

Re: The sea, and the moon, and me.
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 06:54:09 PM »
nice posting Tintagel

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 07:03:26 PM »
The Earth's flatness only contributes to its beauty. :-B
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Tintagel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 07:13:18 PM »
The Earth's flatness only contributes to its beauty. :-B
Indeed.  An infinite earth is infinitely beautiful!

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 08:14:04 PM »
i am more accepting of the Gnostic view myself Tintagel... the earth is an astonishing creation, but one that only hints of the staggering, but not infinite, beauty from which it is separated.

I am intrigued by your view that the earth is infinite as I have not come across this view before.  Mayhap you will expand on your thoughts por moi?

Offline Tintagel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 07:51:08 PM »
i am more accepting of the Gnostic view myself Tintagel... the earth is an astonishing creation, but one that only hints of the staggering, but not infinite, beauty from which it is separated.

I am intrigued by your view that the earth is infinite as I have not come across this view before.  Mayhap you will expand on your thoughts por moi?

Think the earth isn't infinite?  Start walking :) 

I'm believe in an infinite plane earth, but mine is a little different from the one that is featured in our wiki/FAQ.  Rather than thinking the sea merely expands forever, I believe the earth actually 'loops' back onto itself.  Like a mobius strip, but in more than one dimension.  A non-euclidean plane.