Offline AATW

• View Profile
Home Page
« on: April 08, 2022, 08:10:14 AM »
Hi. Your home page sucks. No offence. I mean, you still have a Happy New Year message up there. It's April.

Sort it out.

I mean, either make it a generic home page or if you're going to have some "topical" stuff up there then you need to update it more regularly.

So there.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Re: Home Page
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2022, 08:41:32 AM »
Absolutely. If you'd like to post an announcement, simply create a thread and let me know when it's ready to be moved to Announcements.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2022, 01:26:10 PM »
I don't have any announcements to make.
I'm just saying, if you're going to have a home page which attempts to be vaguely topical then it would look better if you keep it up to date.
The alternative is a generic home page which would be less effort.

Predictably, I don't care that much about it. But I noticed it and thought I'd put a thread in here. Do with this what you will.
Or don't.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2022, 03:12:37 PM »
Unfortunately, this community is only as good as the people who contribute to it. And yes, that means there are areas that don't look so great. If you're not willing to contribute, then your suggestion is that someone else should do more work. We're at capacity.

Offline Pongo

• Most Educated Flat-Earther
  • Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2022, 01:32:43 PM »
Absolutely. If you'd like to post an announcement, simply create a thread and let me know when it's ready to be moved to Announcements.

Maybe AllAroundTheWorld is saying that since we've all proven incapable of keeping up with announcements that the home page should be redesigned to exclude this feature. Or maybe he's not saying that. idk

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2022, 01:38:53 PM »
Maybe AllAroundTheWorld is saying that since we've all proven incapable of keeping up with announcements that the home page should be redesigned to exclude this feature.
The same reply applies:

If you're not willing to contribute, then your suggestion is that someone else should do more work. We're at capacity.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2022, 02:09:06 PM »
I actually gave two alternatives.

One is that these announcements should be made more regularly - which I agree involves more work, and it's not reasonable to expect RE people who think you're all crackers (no offence, like) to do that.

The other alternative is to remove the feed from announcements. The about section is fine and the recent threads feed is good as there are enough threads created that it's always fairly current. That is a small amount of one off work but then means less ongoing work as it doesn't involve anyone having to think of topical FE announcements. Right now you still have a HNY message and the announcement before that is from early 2020. It just makes it look like not much is going on round here.

As discussed - I don't care that much. It was just a thought.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2022, 02:56:30 PM »
It just makes it look like not much is going on round here.
Not much is going on around here, and the Announcements section feeds search engine algorithms their favourite stuff. It works. You don't have to like it, and, as you astutely observed, you are emphatically not its target audience.

Since you Don't Care But Will Incessantly Post About How Much You Don't Care™, and nobody seems to be available to contribute, I think it's about time we stop bumping this thread.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 03:06:12 PM by Pete Svarrior »