Moon question
« on: October 12, 2016, 09:22:32 AM »
Hello

(excuse my bad english, I am french) I want to explore the theorie of flat earth. I have question about moon. When I see the flat earth model, moon would show differents faces in same time on earth (full for some people, half for other...) How can you explain that please ?

If their are some people who talk french I am interest by mailing about flat earth.

Thank you / Merci !

Offline Norr

• View Profile
Re: Moon question
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 12:57:30 PM »
Hello

(excuse my bad english, I am french) I want to explore the theorie of flat earth. I have question about moon. When I see the flat earth model, moon would show differents faces in same time on earth (full for some people, half for other...) How can you explain that please ?

If their are some people who talk french I am interest by mailing about flat earth.

Thank you / Merci !

Sorry no French  :( but in my eyes, if the earth were flat and the moon was just circling above then it would be impossible to not see the back of it.

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 08:47:28 PM »
Hello

Thank you / Merci !

Sorry no French  :( but in my eyes, if the earth were flat and the moon was just circling above then it would be impossible to not see the back of it.

The explanation as to why we never see the back of the moon on the round earth model is virtually impossible to prove scientifically. It may have some plausibility on its side, but there is no bulletproof explanation as to why everyone only sees the "face" of the moon.

Offline rabinoz

• Just look South at the Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 09:51:23 PM »
Hello

Thank you / Merci !

The explanation as to why we never see the back of the moon on the round earth model is virtually impossible to prove scientifically. It may have some plausibility on its side, but there is no bulletproof explanation as to why everyone only sees the "face" of the moon.

Please explain your comment "The explanation as to why we never see the back of the moon on the round earth model is virtually impossible to prove scientifically."
I see not the slightest problem.
The moon is tidally locked to the earth, meaning that it's rotation matches it's orbital period around the earth. Because of the elliptical orbit of the moon we see a little more than half of the moon - about 59%.

As to the tidal locking many satellites around other planets are also "tidally locked". This happens when the difference in gravitational field across the satellite is sufficient to distort it slightly. This causes it to gradually lose rotatationally energy.

For the moon over the Flat Earth, it seem generally accepted that it is a sphere as in
Quote from: the Wiki
Moon
The moon is a rotating sphere. It has a diameter of 32 miles and is located approximately 3000 miles above the surface of the earth.
Now when viewing from the moon from different locations on earth would we would see quite different faces. I could attempt a diagram, but my 3D drawing "skills" are nil.

On a slightly different slant:
When looking up the Wiki I noted this
Quote from: the Wiki
The Full Moon is Impossible in Round Earth Theory
According to observation of the moon over the course of the month there are a range of phases, ranging between New Moon, First Quarter Moon, Third Quarter Moon, and Full Moon. The synodic period or lunation is exactly 29.5305882 days. The standard explanation of the phases under Round Earth Theory is given as so:
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
However, in order to see a full moon with 100% totality under a you would need to be looking at the moon's daylight side face-on. But according to the geometry of RET we would never see the daylight side face-on, otherwise the earth would get in the way of the sunlight. There should always be a portion of the moon that is unlit. 100% totality should be impossible, no matter how much mental gymnastics are done with the scale. If we are not looking at the daylight side face on, complete totality is impossible.
[/size]

Now the author, İntikam, thinks he is "killing off" the Globe view of the moon phases, but what he says is actually quite true, and common knowledge. We do not see a 100% full moon from earth, ever.

But the diagrams always shown, both in literature and by İntikam, are always grossly out of scale - simply because the distance between the earth and moon is so large compared to their sizes.
This diagram is close to scale for a full moon:

Scale diagram of full moon
So a full moon is never quite 100% full, on most "full moon" the angle is a few degrees off. The closest we get is just before and after a lunar eclipse.

But you might note that even a whole day before or after a full moon it is difficult to see that the moon is not full.

<< Hope there aren't too many misteaks, must go >>