Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
Re: Survivor2299
« Reply #100 on: December 28, 2013, 08:09:10 PM »
What exactly do you mean when you compare the game's humor (whether positively or negatively) to the original two games?  I agree that F3 has pretty bad comedy for the most part, but it's at least given me a few laughs, which is more than I can say for the first game.  Admittedly, I haven't played a whole lot of it yet, but so far, the only funny thing I've seen is that they actually got MacGyver to voice one of the characters.  I'm not trying to be a sadaam or anything, but where's the humor?

I probably should have specified F2 when talking about the humour, as that's where most of the comedic writing is. F1 has some jokes, but overall it's played quite straight.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 28, 2013, 09:54:43 PM »
What exactly do you mean when you compare the game's humor (whether positively or negatively) to the original two games?  I agree that F3 has pretty bad comedy for the most part, but it's at least given me a few laughs, which is more than I can say for the first game.  Admittedly, I haven't played a whole lot of it yet, but so far, the only funny thing I've seen is that they actually got MacGyver to voice one of the characters.  I'm not trying to be a sadaam or anything, but where's the humor?
I was wondering the same thing.

For F3, I thought the wacky wasteland stuff was pretty funny. None of the dialogue made me go bananas but it was still a fairly humorous game.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 28, 2013, 11:24:04 PM »
I don't think the stiff quality all of Bethesda's games have helps with any of the humour they try to inject into them.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 28, 2013, 11:49:21 PM »
I don't think the stiff quality all of Bethesda's games have helps with any of the humour they try to inject into them.
I'm not sure how you mean stiff in this context.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #104 on: December 29, 2013, 02:37:40 AM »

I probably should have specified F2 when talking about the humour, as that's where most of the comedic writing is. F1 has some jokes, but overall it's played quite straight.

Then perhaps I should play F2 first.  Is it easier to get into?

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 29, 2013, 02:54:27 AM »
No. They're pretty similar, mechanically.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #106 on: December 29, 2013, 03:23:05 AM »
I don't really have an issue with the mechanics.  It's actually the time limit that's driving me nuts.  I don't know how long it "translates" into in real time, nor how long it's going to take me at a minimum to find the water chip, and I don't know if I'm supposed to be hustling the whole time because every minute counts, or if there's no rush and I have enough time to take it slowly and explore the world.  In any case, the uncertainty won't let me relax and enjoy the game.  Are there mods to get rid of it?

Offline Crudblud

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 29, 2013, 10:14:50 AM »

Then perhaps I should play F2 first.  Is it easier to get into?

If you're already a ways into F1 I'd stick with it, in my experience it definitely grows on you the further you get and it opens up considerably once you get the water chip. Besides, while it isn't necessary to play them in order, I think the emotional impact of revisiting the old locations and seeing how they've changed is lessened if you don't know how the first game plays out. If you are going to jump ahead to F2, be sure to get killap's restoration patch, it restores tons of cut content and fixes some bugs, generally providing a better overall experience, though you still have to put up with the shitty tutorial level Black Isle was forced to put in.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #108 on: December 31, 2013, 06:56:09 AM »
Thanks for that, broseph.  Also, I have now completed all the DLC for F3!  Hooray!

Point Lookout was my favorite, mainly because it was the only one that really felt as open-ended as an expansion to the game should.  I liked the location and the creepy atmosphere, the quests were interesting, and the goofy conflict between Desmond and Calvert was pretty funny at times, in almost the same way that OWB was.  Yes, whoever voiced Desmond very obviously wasn't British, and that was a constant distraction, but I still liked the jokes.  My biggest problem with this add-on was how absurdly overpowered the enemies - that is to say, the tribals and swampfolk - were, and especially the way that it makes zero logical sense in relation to the story.  These guys are just ordinary humans.  They have no special powers, no training or conditioning, no armor, and very primitive weapons.  It shouldn't take several blasts to the head from a shotgun to bring one down, and their shitty knives and axes shouldn't automatically bypass my DR to do ridiculous amounts of damage.  What a lazy way to increase the difficulty of a game.  No, don't bother designing new, challenging enemies, just give the old ones a paint job and crank up their stats.  It's such bullshit.

I really wanted to like Mothership Zeta, after everything I had heard about it.  And to a degree, I did like it.  There were cool new weapons, a great new location, and even some fairly decent characters.  When I saw that little girl, I feared the worst (Bethesda really needs to just stop putting kids in their games.  Granted, it's always tricky to portray children in fiction, but Bethesda seems to be especially bad at it), but I actually liked even her.  But despite all that going for it, it quickly settled into the tired routine of one long, tedious dungeon crawl.  I had hoped for something like The Great Escape, putting more of an emphasis on planning the escape using skills and dialogue than actual combat.  It would have made a nice break from the relentless action of the rest of the game, and directly interacting with the aliens would have naturally lent itself to some great comedy.  But no, it barely starts and POW POW POW GET READY TO SHOOT STUFF FOR THE NEXT THREE HOURS!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 03:32:57 PM by Saddam Hussein »

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 31, 2013, 12:13:44 PM »
Aww yiss, another win for Point Lookout.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #110 on: January 01, 2014, 02:58:03 PM »
Oh yeah, and then there was Broken Steel.  I am in agreement with Cruddy on this one on how utterly pointless it feels.  I'm all in favor of tying up loose ends from the main story, but not coming up with new problems out of nowhere that don't have an obvious logical connection with the main story.  Retconning that bullshit ending was certainly a good move, and raising the level cap was cool too, but this add-on really had nothing else going for it.

Offline Crudblud

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 01, 2014, 05:22:47 PM »
I am in agreement with Cruddy on this one
O wayward sadaam, hope for thou there yet be!  :-*

Offline Lemon

• Lime
    • View Profile
    • Disco
« Reply #112 on: January 01, 2014, 10:38:58 PM »
Could anyone powerful enough that is bothered move all these posts into a Fallout thread? Or just change the title of the thread?
NOTHING TO SEE HERE. IGNORE RAMA SET.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 02, 2014, 07:44:29 AM »
Sure thang, bro and behold. I dunno if you wanna change the opening post to reflekt the change or something so that's up to you. :D
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Lemon

• Lime
    • View Profile
    • Disco
Re: Fallout series
« Reply #114 on: January 02, 2014, 02:39:52 PM »
I will, thank you :D

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #115 on: January 02, 2014, 03:41:41 PM »
snupes is abusing her mod powers

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 02, 2014, 07:04:55 PM »
Could anyone powerful enough that is bothered move all these posts into a Fallout thread? Or just change the title of the thread?
Just so you know, you can rename threads yourself. The subject of the first post is also the subject of the thread :)
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Lemon

• Lime
    • View Profile
    • Disco
« Reply #117 on: January 02, 2014, 07:23:15 PM »
Just so you know, you can rename threads yourself. The subject of the first post is also the subject of the thread :)

I didn't know that changed it, thanks :)

Offline Lemon

• Lime
    • View Profile
    • Disco
« Reply #118 on: January 03, 2014, 06:30:55 PM »
Moriarty has an Irish accent. Odd.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #119 on: January 03, 2014, 08:11:51 PM »
Moriarty has an Irish accent. Odd.

What's odd is that there's an Irishman around, not that the Irishman has an Irish accent.